The Student Room Group

Haberdashers' Aske'd Boys' or St dominics?

Hi,

I got accepted into both of these for sixth form and I'm absolutely torn. I'm expecting 9 A*'s and a C or B-- in exam pe obviously), I'm planning to do physics, maths, further maths, and literature or philosophy. St doms offered me those, but habs will wait to see my IGCSE maths results before giving me further maths, because I absolutely botched the maths entrance exam as I had surgery two days prior. So instead, they've given me accelerated maths (9 modules instead of 6) until they make a decision. If I take fm there, they would make me carry my fourth subject into A2.

Anyone have any insight into what school life involves at either of these? I'd prefer somewhere where I don't have teachers on my back with useless work 24/7. From what I gather, habs will be more ardous as school finishes later at 4:20 and I will have less frees. What are the people like in habs/ st doms?

I would greatly appreciate any pointers (and sorry for the onslaught of random questions-- that's what happens at 5am when you can't sleep and overthink)
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I have an entrance exam for Habs This Friday for maths, chemistry, biology and physics. how hard are the exams? is there any advice or guidance you could give me? is the time enough?
[QUOTE=:)Esss[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];74452132]I have an entrance exam for Habs This Friday for maths, chemistry, biology and physics. how hard are the exams? is there any advice or guidance you could give me? is the time enough?

Just be calm and confident in your interviews. I had an English lit exam, a maths exam and a critical thinking exam (the maths one went horribly). I then had an English lit interview (which went well), a physics interview (in which the head of physics watched me do a physics test) and then a maths interview where the head of maths told me I can't do further because I took too long to factorise a quadratic 😂. So it definitely wasn't a masterclass on my part, but I still got in ahead of 7 other people and I'm still here in year 13 doing maths, further maths and physics (I dropped English lit after AS because it was intolerably boring).

That was for Habs boys, Habs girls may be different. But just don't panic, even if it's going horribly, you'll probably still get in. In terms of preparation, I did none (I had my entrance exams after I finished my IGCSEs so I cba to work anymore) so you shouldn't stress about preparation. Just make sure you know your GCSE stuff.

Good luck, and feel free to message me
If you have anymore questions.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Just sign in
Just be calm and confident in your interviews. I had an English lit exam, a maths exam and a critical thinking exam (the maths one went horribly). I then had an English lit interview (which went well), a physics interview (in which the head of physics watched me do a physics test) and then a maths interview where the head of maths told me I can't do further because I took too long to factorise a quadratic 😂. So it definitely wasn't a masterclass on my part, but I still got in ahead of 7 other people and I'm still here in year 13 doing maths, further maths and physics (I dropped English lit after AS because it was intolerably boring).

That was for Habs boys, Habs girls may be different. But just don't panic, even if it's going horribly, you'll probably still get in. In terms of preparation, I did none (I had my entrance exams after I finished my IGCSEs so I cba to work anymore) so you shouldn't stress about preparation. Just make sure you know your GCSE stuff.

Aaah that's so good plus you got in so that's great! i kinda thought maths would be my strong point but if you said you said you're really bright and it was still hard soo now i'm just very anxious. also, physics isn't a subject i'm super confident in so i'm very nervous about that. I've don a few sample sixth entrance exam questions from other schools but that's all the 'revision' i've done.
[QUOTE=:)Esss[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];74465430]Aaah that's so good plus you got in so that's great! i kinda thought maths would be my strong point but if you said you said you're really bright and it was still hard soo now i'm just very anxious. also, physics isn't a subject i'm super confident in so i'm very nervous about that. I've don a few sample sixth entrance exam questions from other schools but that's all the 'revision' i've done.

You'll be fine. And I thought I was "bright" before I came to Habs having been in state schools my whole life, but at Habs you realise you're a fish in an ocean-- so I wouldn't get too anxious because I found it hard!😂😂 Plus I had surgery 2 days before that so that had an impact too. It really wasn't that hard, don't worry.
so where did you end up going?
Original post by richageorge
so where did you end up going?

Habs

sorry for pestering you but you know how you said you had a physics exam during which the head h physics watched you do a test- was this on a separate day from when you took the entrance exam?
[QUOTE=:)Esss[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];74490760]sorry for pestering you but you know how you said you had a physics exam during which the head h physics watched you do a test- was this on a separate day from when you took the entrance exam?

Np, sorry I saw this just now so it's probably too late, but no I had everything in 4 hours on the same day. How did it go?
Np, sorry I saw this just now so it's probably too late, but no I had everything in 4 hours on the same day. How did it go?

Yhh umm some went well others not so much. My Maths one was reallyyy good and bio was good too I guess. Physics was okay and chemistry was way too long (I didnt finish it). Tbh I doubt I’ll get in 😓😔 but at least I tried you know
[QUOTE=:)Esss[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];74509318]Yhh umm some went well others not so much. My Maths one was reallyyy good and bio was good too I guess. Physics was okay and chemistry was way too long (I didnt finish it). Tbh I doubt I’ll get in 😓😔 but at least I tried you know

I'm sure you'll get in, I had a really bad day and still got in
I'm sure you'll get in, I had a really bad day and still got in

oh jbtw i never got in
[QUOTE=:)Esss[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];75171532]oh jbtw i never got in

Did they say why?? From what you said your day went wayyyy better than mine and apparently 6 other people applied for the same position. Where are you going instead?
Did they say why?? From what you said your day went wayyyy better than mine and apparently 6 other people applied for the same position. Where are you going instead?

yh i emailed them asking and they said my maths and biology papers went well however my chemistry paper wasn't up to their standards.
as far as other places are concerned, i have applied to a few other sixth forms but tbh i'm not very excited about going to any of them sooo yh don't really have a number 1 option as of yet
[QUOTE=:)Esss[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];75173564]yh i emailed them asking and they said my maths and biology papers went well however my chemistry paper wasn't up to their standards.
as far as other places are concerned, i have applied to a few other sixth forms but tbh i'm not very excited about going to any of them sooo yh don't really have a number 1 option as of yet

What are they?
What are they?

um so until now i've applied for:

Dame Alice Owen
sent in a late application for Highgate
Latymer (don't really wanna go here at all but applying anyway)
St. Michaels grammar (don't really wanna go here bc i just didn't like the school atmosphere but applied anyway)
Henrietta (doubtful about getting in bc it's extremely over-subscribed)
ashmole
Harris Westminster
my own current school- Compton (although if i go here it probably just means i didn't get the grades i wanted)

and yh i think this is about it unless i've forgotten a few
[QUOTE=:)Esss[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];75174072]um so until now i've applied for:

Dame Alice Owen
sent in a late application for Highgate
Latymer (don't really wanna go here at all but applying anyway)
St. Michaels grammar (don't really wanna go here bc i just didn't like the school atmosphere but applied anyway)
Henrietta (doubtful about getting in bc it's extremely over-subscribed)
ashmole
Harris Westminster
my own current school- Compton (although if i go here it probably just means i didn't get the grades i wanted)

and yh i think this is about it unless i've forgotten a few

Damn, you’ve really thought this through. I was coming back from a 4 year stint in Kuwait and I only applied to Habs and St Dom’s😂😂 Why don’t you apply to St Doms? Habs is very good and would’ve pushed you to new levels, but the emphasis is in “push”. Especially in the first 4 months if you join in sixth form (which they only ever allow if someone left. In my case someone got expelled (for bringing a taser into school😂😂😂😂😂😂) so there was a place available). Most people practically hate their lives here and my God does it get tense at about April time— literally becomes every man for himself.

St Doms though is still very good, will still get you to a top uni (won’t take you to quite the level of Habs because that can only be achieved through torture) and you will actually have a life. If you’re concerned about vibe St Doms has a great vibe. I hope you find some comfort in knowing Habs isn’t all sunshine and rainbows.

And btw, don’t go to somewhere like Henrietta, sixth form is really not the time to choose a segregated school😂😂😂
Damn, you’ve really thought this through. I was coming back from a 4 year stint in Kuwait and I only applied to Habs and St Dom’s😂😂 Why don’t you apply to St Doms? Habs is very good and would’ve pushed you to new levels, but the emphasis is in “push”. Especially in the first 4 months if you join in sixth form (which they only ever allow if someone left. In my case someone got expelled (for bringing a taser into school😂😂😂😂😂😂) so there was a place available). Most people practically hate their lives here and my God does it get tense at about April time— literally becomes every man for himself.

St Doms though is still very good, will still get you to a top uni (won’t take you to quite the level of Habs because that can only be achieved through torture) and you will actually have a life. If you’re concerned about vibe St Doms has a great vibe. I hope you find some comfort in knowing Habs isn’t all sunshine and rainbows.

And btw, don’t go to somewhere like Henrietta, sixth form is really not the time to choose a segregated school😂😂😂

aah you're from kuwait i was born there anyway yh one of my friend's sister studied at Henrietta and she said that she didn't like it either but tbh i doubt i'll get in bc most of the schools i applied for give offers based on predicted grades (and ik you can give in late applications but appeal students are rarely ever accept in those schools) and my current school approximates predicted grades using your FFT which are very low for me (they predict this using their KS2 results which they don't have for me bc i moved to the UK a few years ago) and mock result (which went reasonably well). anyway, yh i'm gonna keep looking for sixth forms until i actually like one but i will check St Doms for sure unless their deadline has passed.
[QUOTE=:)Esss[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];75182142]aah you're from kuwait i was born there anyway yh one of my friend's sister studied at Henrietta and she said that she didn't like it either but tbh i doubt i'll get in bc most of the schools i applied for give offers based on predicted grades (and ik you can give in late applications but appeal students are rarely ever accept in those schools) and my current school approximates predicted grades using your FFT which are very low for me (they predict this using their KS2 results which they don't have for me bc i moved to the UK a few years ago) and mock result (which went reasonably well). anyway, yh i'm gonna keep looking for sixth forms until i actually like one but i will check St Doms for sure unless their deadline has passed.

You were born in Kuwait? And I’m not Kuwaiti btw, I’m a London born Iraqi. I only moved to Kuwait for my mum’s work. What does FFT stand for? What are your predicted grades? As long as they’re mostly A*’s, it should be fine
You were born in Kuwait? And I’m not Kuwaiti btw, I’m a London born Iraqi. I only moved to Kuwait for my mum’s work. What does FFT stand for? What are your predicted grades? As long as they’re mostly A*’s, it should be fine

i'm not Kuwaiti either, they don't give nationalities it's more like a resident card, i think ,that you have to renew every few years. yh my dad moved there from Bahrain and we moved back to pakistan a few years after i was born but i'm Pakistani. And then we moved again to the UK a few years back.

FFT is like a data analysis thing that uses your KS2/3 results to estimate your final gcse result.
i don't have my predicted grades yet bc my teachers just marked my mocks but my fft and mock result are as follows:

English lit (mock= 9)(fft= 6)
English lang- hasn't marked this yet but fft = 6
maths (mock = 8)(fft = 8)
physics (mock = 7)fft = 9)
chemistry (mock = 8)(fft = 9)
biology (mock= 8) (fft = 9)
computer science (mock = 8)(fft = 6)
business studies (mock = A*)(fft = A)
history (mock = 7)(fft = 6)
geography (mock= 7)(fft= 6)
urdu (not doing it in school so i don't have a predicted grade. it's my first language so i thought might as well do a gcse qualification in it)
additional maths (don't acc have a predicted grade for this)

i'm not overly pleased with my mock results but i think they're decent

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending