The Student Room Group

How do you get a DBS check without being employed?

Next September I am applying to train to become a primary school teacher at university. I need a valid DBS certificate before I apply to the course but from what I know and what I've researched, you can only get these from an employer - I am not employed!

I volunteer at a local primary school - would asking them to get me one be the only way that I could get one? Does anybody know if there is another way around this because I do need one as soon as possible?

A response as soon as possible would be highly appreciated.
You don't need a DBS to apply to become a teacher. You do need a DBS before you can start your training, but your training providers will help you do that. You can apply to get experience in school through the schools experience programme. Similarly, you can apply for experience at school directly and if willing, that school may apply for a DBS on your behalf.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by jack_cooper10
Next September I am applying to train to become a primary school teacher at university. I need a valid DBS certificate before I apply to the course but from what I know and what I've researched, you can only get these from an employer - I am not employed!

I volunteer at a local primary school - would asking them to get me one be the only way that I could get one? Does anybody know if there is another way around this because I do need one as soon as possible?

I would imagine you will be appying for an Enhanced DBS check through your university once you are accepted. This should cover you through your training period and you are unlikely to need separate checks with the schools you are placed with.

Applying for a DBS check (or an Enhanced one) is not something you can do as an individual. In addition you can't just "take" an Enhanced DBS check obtained through one employer along to another - you would reapply with them.
Original post by offhegoes
I would imagine you will be appying for an Enhanced DBS check through your university once you are accepted. This should cover you through your training period and you are unlikely to need separate checks with the schools you are placed with.

Applying for a DBS check (or an Enhanced one) is not something you can do as an individual. In addition you can't just "take" an Enhanced DBS check obtained through one employer along to another - you would reapply with them.

TYPICAL! Yet another system designed by complete ****. A proper system would be you just apply for a DBS cert which would include your details, the relevant authority details and reference numbers etc. This would be used instead of the massive faff it currently is.
Original post by jack_cooper10

You can apply for a basic check by yourself. This will show a potential employer you have a clean criminal record and whill exclude anything that has become spent/ expired under ROHA74.. Check with them that this is all you need.

It is likely they will do a further more detailed enhanced DVS check that will show more information. Just contact the Uni its all pretty straightforward.
Reply 5
Original post by Laomedeia
TYPICAL! Yet another system designed by complete khunts. A proper system would be you just apply for a DBS cert which would include your details, the relevant authority details and reference numbers etc. This would be used instead of the massive faff it currently is.

The information I can see online seems to be conflicting, suggesting in some places that anyone can get a DBS check done themselves and in others that it needs to be through a registered body.

My knowledge is from a Scottish perspective, so may differ from how it is in England, but until a few years ago the setup was very similar and pretty much different only in name - Disclosure and Enhanced Disclosure v CRB and Enhanced CRB. In Scotland this has been replaced by a similar yet much better system for Enhanced-level checks - the PVG Scheme (Protection of Vulnerable Groups).

Anyway the basic ones will be of no use to the OP, who is getting into teaching and so needs an Enhanced DBS check. These must come through a registered body for particular reasons - information may be provided about you to which you do not have access and will not be allowed to see. So you can hardly apply for an Enchanced DBS check and then pass it along!

Not saying the system is without its issues, but there it is.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
You can apply for a basic check by yourself. This will show a potential employer you have a clean criminal record and whill exclude anything that has become spent/ expired under ROHA74.. Check with them that this is all you need.

It is likely they will do a further more detailed enhanced DVS check that will show more information. Just contact the Uni its all pretty straightforward.

Basic check will do nothing for OP though! Unless England is spectacularly lax he will need Enhanced.
Basic check will do nothing for OP though! Unless England is spectacularly lax he will need Enhanced.

I am well aware of the difference between basic, standard, enhanced and enhanced listed, Hence my answer. He cannot get enhanced himself which was his whole problem, which means it will be the job of his employer to do the checking. It will be henahced obviously becayse he is working with cchildren. He needs to clarify with the Uni as they obviously wont be asking for what he cnat give, which means they either want a basic or the OP is confused and needs clarification. Not sure what the point of your poist to me was?
Reply 8
I am well aware of the difference between basic, standard, enhanced and enhanced listed, Hence my answer. He cannot get enhanced himself which was his whole problem, which means it will be the job of his employer to do the checking. It will be henahced obviously becayse he is working with cchildren. He needs to clarify with the Uni as they obviously wont be asking for what he cnat give, which means they either want a basic or the OP is confused and needs clarification. Not sure what the point of your poist to me was?

He will need more than a standard check, so I was just concerned your post, talking mostly about standard with Enhanced mentioned at the end, would leave him to think he should be expecting just to get a standard one.
He will need more than a standard check, so I was just concerned your post, talking mostly about standard with Enhanced mentioned at the end, would leave him to think he should be expecting just to get a standard one.

Stop misrepresenting me, its annoying.

A basic check is all anyone can apply for by themselves, as only an employer can apply for the higher checks. The OP was confused hence I said to check with them on what basis they required a check and to clarify. I did say it would be most likely they will need to carry out an enhanced check because, but they are the people who will do this and they are the people who cna give him the answers he wants.
Reply 10
Stop misrepresenting me, its annoying.

A basic check is all anyone can apply for by themselves, as only an employer can apply for the higher checks. The OP was confused hence I said to check with them on what basis they required a check and to clarify. I did say it would be most likely they will need to carry out an enhanced check because, but they are the people who will do this and they are the people who cna give him the answers he wants.

I was trying to clarify your post, which I'm sure whilst clear in your mind came across to me as less than clear.

Relax :smile:
I was trying to clarify your post, which I'm sure whilst clear in your mind came across to me as less than clear.

Relax :smile:

It was quite clear. The points you made were false.
Reply 12
It was quite clear. The points you made were false.

Debatable. Out of curiosity, which ones?
Please do not let this thread descend into a slanging match.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending