The Student Room Group

How to take the bus?

Lol I know this may sound stupid but idk how to take the bus. My bike got stolen a few weeks ago and now idk how to get anywhere. I've been on the bus before but years ago. I know which bus to take and stuff but what are you supposed to ask the driver. Do I ask them for a return or single to where ever I want to go for example if I wanted to go to the museum would I say :redface:ne single to the museum of ... pls or should I say one single to the road it's on??? Also when areyou supposed to press the stop button? When the driver gets to your stop do you press the button or do they just stop anyway???
You can get apps that tell you live departure times and show you bus routes/where they go.
You can also google it and bus companies have journey planners on their website where you just enter your location and where you want to get to and they show you which bus to take.

Where I live (in scotland), I ask for an adult single and when I want to get off somewhere I press the stop button and get off. You don't need to tell the bus driver where you need to go here as the one ticket will take you right to the bus' last stop
If i'm taking a lot of journeys, I buy a dayticket (unlimited journeys for a day) where I can travel anywhere for like 4 quid and I just show my ticket to the bus driver.
Ticket prices are different for children.
Lol I took the bus for the first time a few weeks ago.

Just say you want a ticket to the place - you don't need to say single or return (I think?)
E.g. if I want to get to the town centre, I say: "One ticket to town centre please"

Press the stop button when your stop is close but don't press it as soon as you see your stop since it's late warning for the bus driver. I did that on my first time and I got a glare when I was getting off :redface:
Some busses you don't even say anything just get on and drop coins into the little pot. The traditional type you say either a single or return to "street name" though I am sure a landmark like a museum or college would be fine- bus drivers know the routes well! I never used to know what to say for my bus home when I was younger as everyone seems to have their own name for the corner the stop is on- bus drivers have heard it all - if he is not sure he will ask you. Press the bell just after you've left the stop before yours :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by sameehaiqbal
You can get apps that tell you live departure times and show you bus routes/where they go.
You can also google it and bus companies have journey planners on their website where you just enter your location and where you want to get to and they show you which bus to take.

Where I live (in scotland), I ask for an adult single and when I want to get off somewhere I press the stop button and get off. You don't need to tell the bus driver where you need to go here as the one ticket will take you right to the bus' last stop
If i'm taking a lot of journeys, I buy a dayticket (unlimited journeys for a day) where I can travel anywhere for like 4 quid and I just show my ticket to the bus driver.
Ticket prices are different for children.

Original post by Namita Gurung
Lol I took the bus for the first time a few weeks ago.

Just say you want a ticket to the place - you don't need to say single or return (I think?)
E.g. if I want to get to the town centre, I say: "One ticket to town centre please"

Press the stop button when your stop is close but don't press it as soon as you see your stop since it's late warning for the bus driver. I did that on my first time and I got a glare when I was getting off :redface:

Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Some busses you don't even say anything just get on and drop coins into the little pot. The traditional type you say either a single or return to "street name" though I am sure a landmark like a museum or college would be fine- bus drivers know the routes well! I never used to know what to say for my bus home when I was younger as everyone seems to have their own name for the corner the stop is on- bus drivers have heard it all - if he is not sure he will ask you. Press the bell just after you've left the stop before yours :smile:

Will the driver tell you how much to pay for your ticket?
Original post by Anonymous

Yes you can ask the bus driver how much an adult ticket costs but you can also google it by searching your bus company if you like.
Original post by Anonymous

yes :smile: they don't expect you to be psychic!*
Reply 7
They're usually knowledgable enough about their routes to know where you're talking about if you refer to a point of interest rather than routes. If you're fortunate enough to live in London you just tap your Oyster or contactless, and I think Greater Manchester now has some sort of smart card in operation. If you're going to be using it a lot, get a day or week ticket and you won't have to say where you're going or anything.
In my city, we refer to the neighbourhoods rather than the actual street names, unless it's something like "city centre" or "train station" or "bus station". Say, I wanted to go to Larches and back I'd say "return ticket to Larches, please" and you get off at any stop in Larches.

Or if you use the bus frequently, we just get weekly passes since the bus driver can give that to you (if you want a monthly bus pass, you have to go ro the bus station to get and ain't nobody got time for that) and you just show it - just make sure it's not upside down or something silly like that.

As for pressing the stop button, ad someone else said, just press it a few seconds after the bus had left the stop before yours. It'll become second nature soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending