Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Economics / Mathematics and Economics PS

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hello I am looking into applying for economics at Cambridge, and joint mathematics and economics at other universities. I am applying for the joint-course as opposed to straight economics because I really enjoy the quantitative side of economics and the application of mathematics to economic models. I know that the Cambridge economics course already is rich in math-stuff, so I will be happy with it, while economics at other universities sometimes don't have as much mathematical content in them (hence why I'm applying for the joint course). How should I approach writing my PS? Is this sort of thing (applying for different courses at different unis, albeit related) common, and okay to do? I apologise for my ignorance - it's all very new to me.Thank you!!

It should be fine as long as the math stuff you talk about is also covered in the Cambridge course. You shouldn't come across as unsure or undecided.

I too was thinking about the same thing as you. I'm planning to apply to LSE and was wondering whether to apply for both econ&math or just econ. In your case, however, since the Cambridge course too is rich in math, I think it will be safe for you to spend half your time talking about econ and half about math.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 11, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.