The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Internet access in (postgrad) accommodation?

I'm sitting on multiple offers to do PGCE courses, one of which is from UoM. seeing as I'm pretty sure I'll get a solid experience wherever I go and I am not from England anyway, my decision's going to be made by silly arbitrary things that will have some sort of impact on my experience regardless, such as...

...is there really no wifi access in the bedrooms in the university accommodation? I have multiple devices that will need internet that I'll be relying on a lot for the next year (I hope to use my raspberry pi a lot in particular as a potential teaching tool) and I really don't want to be in a situation where I'll be swapping around my ethernet cable. it seems almost... neanderthal in 2016. can anyone at UoM postgrad or otherwise confirm if this is the case? they don't seem to be keen on anyone creating their own wireless access points there either, for whatever reason. (if it's health related, I think we're all doused in enough waves on a daily basis that a few more will hardly make a difference)

edit: I get that I could get an ethernet cable splitter/port but this seems like a solution to a problem that honestly shouldn't be there, and it doesn't solve the issue of no mobile wifi either
(edited 7 years ago)
You can turn your laptop into wireless router, I guess :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
By the time I left, they were saying that all halls were going to have wifi imminently, so it may not turn out to be an issue.

Have you tried contacting the halls to see if they actually do have wifi now?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending