The Student Room Group

A-levels

I'm currently thinking about what A-levels to study. I've decided I definitely want to study English literature and English Language. I'm thinking about taking history, but eventhough I got an A in the GCSE coursework- I don't think I've done very well in the exam: but I might have just got a C. Apparently history is much harder at A-level and I was wondering if I could do well, and keep up in the subject? I also want to study 4 A-levels in total: for the 4th I was thinking possibly philosophy, and was wondering what the course specifically entails. Or French: which I will probably get a B in GCSE, however I struggle with confidence in speaking and find grammar and make a lot of small mistakes, I also did the foundation listening paper. But to be honest for the 4th I'm trying to think of a subject that fits that I could do well in. HELP!! Thank you :smile:
Original post by Rekishiya4
I'm currently thinking about what A-levels to study. I've decided I definitely want to study English literature and English Language. I'm thinking about taking history, but eventhough I got an A in the GCSE coursework- I don't think I've done very well in the exam: but I might have just got a C. Apparently history is much harder at A-level and I was wondering if I could do well, and keep up in the subject? I also want to study 4 A-levels in total: for the 4th I was thinking possibly philosophy, and was wondering what the course specifically entails. Or French: which I will probably get a B in GCSE, however I struggle with confidence in speaking and find grammar and make a lot of small mistakes, I also did the foundation listening paper. But to be honest for the 4th I'm trying to think of a subject that fits that I could do well in. HELP!! Thank you :smile:

I have heard that History is hard, but if you enjoy it I honestly wouldn't let that stop you :smile: Maybe read through specs for both History and Philosophy and see if they interest you? Is there a taster session you could go to? As for a 4th subject I did Sociology which may fit in well with History and English. I have just finished the A2 and thoroughly enjoyed it, I'm even taking it as a dual honours subject in September.

Do you know what you want to do after A-Levels? If it's a university course I would recommend looking at course pages and checking to see if there are any required/preferred subjects.

Best of luck with your GCSE results :smile:
Hello! I've just finished my A-levels.

I've also been told that History at A-level is difficult, my friend was brilliant at history all throughout high school but at college found herself being challenged by the subject. However if you enjoy the subject go for it, you'll find if you enjoy it you're more likely to put the time and effort into it.

I did both English Language and English Literature and I'm so glad I did, I loved them both and having finished them now I'm kind of sad I won't be studying them anymore.

I got a B in French at GCSE and I didn't feel confident that I knew the language well enough to proceed to do it at A-level. You may be different though, just check whether the subject has a minimum grade requirement, English Literature at the college I went to had a minimum GCSE grade B in order to get on the course.

Take the ones you think you'll enjoy the most above all else.
Original post by Rekishiya4

You can have a look at the specification for AQA philosophy here, to give you a general idea of what it entails :h:

Quick Reply

Latest