Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Prospective A level Chemistry student for AQA (new spec)

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I'm interested in doing A Level Chemistry as a private candidate. I did AQA Biology A Level but now that the spec has been changed, I'm having second thoughts on doing the whole spec Chemistry in a year. I was wondering what the new AQA spec is like from the perspective of those who are now studying it? I have been briefly informed of the content and that there are three papers instead of the traditional 6 including 2 ISAs/EMPAs. Has that made it difficult taking into consideration that there are only specimen papers available and no controlled assessments to fall back on?

Thanks a bunch

I have just finished my 1st year of the new aqa Chemistry and personally I did not find the content too hard, but the paper is very maths based and tests a lot of information based on required practicals. The practicals need to be done to get a pass or fail grade but this will not contribute to your grade, although you will need to have a lot of understanding of them in order to take the exam papers. Another thing I noticed was the 2 sets of specimen papers were very immense in the difference between their difficulty and structure, making it really hard to use them as a guide for revision for the real thing. The as exams had a completely different structure to the specimens which completely threw me off too. During the 2nd year, 3 exams are taken. One is based on physical chemistry and organic chemistry, another on physical chemistry and inorganic chemistry, and the other I believe is a mixture of content. The second year builds up on all of the information learnt in the 1st year and I suppose the exams will be equal in weighting between the year 1 and year 2 content.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 11, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.