The Student Room Group
I started looking for a part-time job in October, I finally got one last month. It has been very hard for me despite having good A level grades and 2 years retail experience etc.

Keep trying. Just be persistent and look on jobcentreplus.gov.uk daily, look in local papers, walk around town etc as often as possible!

Good luck :smile:
Iv been doing all that since I came back form holiday.

Just getting on my nerves. :frown: I will get there - im determined to get something before I start Uni.
Reply 3
you're looking too late.
no offence but you should have started looking at least a month and a half ago. mid may i was seeing loads of stores advertising for part time summer staff.think like them.if you're a business,you want to be ready for the summer rush//loss of staff due to holiday time etc. would you start looking mid summer when most of your staff are on holiday and then have to sort everything then etc? or would you be smart and get the people ready by the time your staff are beginning to go off on holiday. i'd do the latter.

if you can,join an agency and if there are still any shops advertising, shove your cv in their faces. then after a few days if you haven't heard anything,call them and ask them and tell them you're interested.
Yep, though granted I haven't even got a CV yet or been asking around, so I guess it figures. :hmmmm:

If worse comes to worse, there's always McDonalds?

Personally, I dont think grades mean squat when it comes to part-time jobs.
Reply 5
January Victim
you're looking too late.
no offence but you should have started looking at least a month and a half ago.

I started looking before I came home from uni (may) and still haven't gotten anywhere (yeah sure plenty of rejections and one interview which I haven't heard anything from since..)
MrGuillotine

If worse comes to worse, there's always McDonalds?

Personally, I dont think grades mean squat when it comes to part-time jobs.

Pfft. That's what I thought. I got rejected despite having grades, experience and flexibility. Apparently they only wanted people who had worked in a Maccys before as they can't be bothered training people up :s-smilie:
Surely nobody is stupid enough to work for Maccys twice?
Reply 8
my last ditch for a summer job was legoland, and they got back to me within 24 hours from online application, interviewed 2 days later (weds) and went on first day of work today..... i got lucky first ever job too
Reply 9
Alamothih
my last ditch for a summer job was legoland, and they got back to me within 24 hours from online application, interviewed 2 days later (weds) and went on first day of work today..... i got lucky first ever job too

how far away do you live from there?
Yep. I've been looking for one since last month. Still haven't had any luck. Maybe try applying somewhere in London, since they have bigger shops, they'll need more workers.
Reply 11
errm according to tom tom i can make it in 34minutes...... crowthorne to windsor anyone?

I mean ive made it in better than that, and worse than that.
ahh it is really disheartening looking for jobs. however, it depends how badly you need a job. if you're desperate then mcdonalds and burger king, all places like that will most likely take you on.
but if it's a take-or-leave but would rather take a job type situation, then i guess one would rather look for something better. hm.
i'm currently looking for jobs now-i'm 18 & had a job but didn't stay very long. i think having EMA has meant i've been dossing off that rather than looking for work-thinking about iti think working for the money probably would've meant slightly richer, and more focused on studying because of how dull a job is. lol /rambling
January Victim
you're looking too late.
no offence but you should have started looking at least a month and a half ago. mid may i was seeing loads of stores advertising for part time summer staff.think like them.if you're a business,you want to be ready for the summer rush//loss of staff due to holiday time etc. would you start looking mid summer when most of your staff are on holiday and then have to sort everything then etc? or would you be smart and get the people ready by the time your staff are beginning to go off on holiday. i'd do the latter.

if you can,join an agency and if there are still any shops advertising, shove your cv in their faces. then after a few days if you haven't heard anything,call them and ask them and tell them you're interested.

Ok, I have been looking for a job since I went on holiday which was ages ago, well and truly before all Uni students finished Uni in fact!! Everywhere I apply to are lookin for part time people and it makes no sense applying for a job if im going to Uni in Sept - quite selfish to deprive someone of a job if im onli going to be in it a few months. I do get the odd days work @ a Nursery but its not enough.

Agencies I have found are crap if im honest - they never listen to your requirements and the majority of them are useless especially their PA's who never pass on messages.

Im still determined though to find a job :smile: Hope everyone else does too
Reply 14
Hi!
best advice I could give is to check job centre everyday, and to print off loads of your CV and hand them into places you'd like to work at!
Goodluck!
Reply 15
ye, legoland is my back up lol, i will apply there in a couple weeks or so, if i cant find anywhere else!

Latest

Trending

Trending