The Student Room Group

What do you mostly waste money on/ bad money habits?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SophieSmall
Food definitely seems to be theme here. :tongue:

I could add more to the list like clothes and shoes, far too many. I need one of the massive American style closets.
Food definitely seems to be theme here. :tongue:

Deffo..we're all spoilt in our own ways. :biggrin:
I just couldn't go for luxury accommodation. I can just about afford it but I don;t know, I just couldn't justify it at all.

I rarely buy bags, I just don't like them. I've bought literally 3 bags in the past 5 years.

To me it's essential, in order to have a good quality of life. Sometimes (depending on my circumstances) I am not able to spend on many other things, but it's worth it. I usually look for newly built/refurbished accommodation that is enquire. After graduation I will start looking for my own flat that is up to the same standards :smile:

I have bags for all seasons and occasions :biggrin:
I definitely spend much more on food than I probably should, but I guess paying for convenience is a fair trade-off because I ****ing hate cooking.
Original post by WBZ144
To me it's essential, in order to have a good quality of life. Sometimes (depending on my circumstances) I am not able to spend on many other things, but it's worth it. I usually look for newly built/refurbished accommodation that is enquire. After graduation I will start looking for my own flat that is up to the same standards :smile:

I have bags for all seasons and occasions :biggrin:

I think it depends on what your priorities are and what makes you happy/ what you need to stay sane.

I've lived in house shares the past couple of years with the same friends and it was a good quality of life for me and yet was very cheap. I had a double bed, wardrobe, draws, bedside table, desk and chair ect. We shared bathrooms but that was never an issue for me, nor bothered me once. Though the first house share we lived in a few of the rooms were en suite (mine wasn't) and yet still a good £30 cheaper a week than the "luxury accommodations" . I've also never liked living in "accommodations" too many people and too noisy. Give me a a house or a residential non student flat any day!
Takeaways and hair dye

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spock's Socks
Takeaways and hair dye

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got so sick of having to dye my hair all the time (super fast hair growth rate) that I just used colourb4 to get back to my natural-ish hair colour. So much easier!
cases on csgo...**** you gaben £300 down the drain with nothing to show for it lol
I'd have to say it is one of the following
eating out and fast food
clothes shopping
luxury watches and jewellery
sweet stuff like proper Turkish delight and hotel Chocolat
moisturiser, milkshake and excessive amounts of chewing gum.
Glen's and Kronenbourg

What about you guys? What's your guilty habit that costs you lots of money.

I'm generally careful with money however the few guilty pleasures are :-

1) Garden, my house in England which I generally only stay at for 3-5 days per month I've spent nearly £30000 on it. The money was spent on the design, soil (I had all the soil excavated to be replaced with a specially formulated medium), lighting, irrigation and plants, pebbles and slabs. The same goes for my house in Norway that I've spent even more on as I terraced the slopes in order to have a rather nice garden. Same goes for the office, it is home to one of the largest collection of tropical plants in Norway.

2) My kids, they definitely wear more expensive clothes than me and I'm perfectly happy to give them all that they want because I want them to have the life I never had and I try to be the dad I never had. Sadly I failed in getting them the mother they needed.... she is another story.

3) Holidays, I want to see the world.
Pepsi max, alcohol and gambling. Probably £30 a week on each.
During A2 I spent a lot of money on paper and pens cause I found these lovely Pilot pens from Ryman but they were quite expensive haha
Original post by Alfissti
I'm generally careful with money however the few guilty pleasures are :-

1) Garden, my house in England which I generally only stay at for 3-5 days per month I've spent nearly £30000 on it. The money was spent on the design, soil (I had all the soil excavated to be replaced with a specially formulated medium), lighting, irrigation and plants, pebbles and slabs. The same goes for my house in Norway that I've spent even more on as I terraced the slopes in order to have a rather nice garden. Same goes for the office, it is home to one of the largest collection of tropical plants in Norway.

2) My kids, they definitely wear more expensive clothes than me and I'm perfectly happy to give them all that they want because I want them to have the life I never had and I try to be the dad I never had. Sadly I failed in getting them the mother they needed.... she is another story.

3) Holidays, I want to see the world.

Nothing wrong with spending money on your home seeing as you spend a lot of time there :biggrin: and I'm sure if I have kids I'll spoil them rotten haha
Mine recently has been not eating properly and so spending more than necessary on food, eating out or unnecessary snacks.

Usually I'd plan my meals in advance so I could buy only the food I need plus one or two treats I want for the week so I could usually keep my food spend below £25 a week. But with constant moving around, not being home, moving home ect my routine has completely messed up and have been eating mostly convenient crap which is more expensive. Oh that and alcohol, couple of crates of beer I can go through quite quickly. But they pile on the pounds so I've decided to stop drinking except for socially which isn't often.

What about you guys? What's your guilty habit that costs you lots of money.
I'm not amazing with food but probably travel this year anyways.
(edited 7 years ago)
Used to spend it on alcohol and flights. These days,mostly on food,lingerie,tech gadgets*
I work at 11am on Sundays and my bus gets me into town at like 10:15 so McDonalds breakfasts are my weakness
Original post by Sternumator
Pepsi max, alcohol and gambling. Probably £30 a week on each.

That's a shitload of pepsi :P
always blow my student loans quick on fast food and ****ing transport. hate myself sometimes
because now I could do with the money but it's all gone to the turks and their ****ing kebabs, and the ****ing transport people guys lol

Quick Reply