The Student Room Group

University applicants 2017 thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Original post by prostheticzeta
imperial are a bit dodgy with sending offers :/ but you really should as your grades are amazing! Although don't forget to ace your personal statement too :smile:

thank youuu, i will put my best effort for my personal statement definitely.
Original post by phillies21
If you don't mind me asking, why did you leave Durham?

Of course :-)

TBH it was a range of things. One of the main reasons was that I went to university with mental health issues and the Durham services were absolutely awful so led to a decline in my health.
That being said, had I actually enjoyed the university and course I probably would have gone to the effort of finding other sources of help or waited until the end of the summer to see if my health improved before withdrawing and not sitting my exams.
I was at Trevs college and I thought the college itself was great - the support system was amazing for a start and the range of events was pretty good. That being said some were v expensive and I didn't think it was worth what we paid. But in all the college was good - I think I was lucky in that sense so I'm not sure other students I spoke to from other courses had the same experience. Others found that when they went to support officers with personal or pastoral issues they were just encouraged to withdraw which isn't necessarily helpful.
The student union is pretty much non existent - but then I guess it's personal opinion whether or not it's needed given the college system?
Durham as a town made me feel quite isolated. Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful, but you very much get caught in the "uni bubble" as the population of Durham is literally just students and older people (I think more than 50% of durham's community is uni related?)
Another issue I had was that many of the students I was surrounded by were from very well off families so I felt quite out of place and I ended up being one of the few students who were forced to work to be able to stay at university.
One downside I found of the college system was that there was a lot of competition between colleges - personally I knew a couple of people from other colleges before arriving at uni and from the beginning I was kind of excluded from those in my accommodation because of the fact I had friends elsewhere. This did improve by the end of the year as others made other college friends too but even so I did personally find there was a massive divide.
My departments weren't too supportive either, the whole experience felt very impersonal (obviously this must vary massively between departments so may not even be relevant for you). And my course just wasn't very interesting - I found the modules really abstract and didn't feel like I'd been prepared for that. I personally didn't have much choice in terms of flexibility either (but then many in other courses did have much more choice).
Then a personal thing was that Durham was very far away from home (I live in the South East) and I underestimated the distance, particularly as due to working I was trapped in Durham over the holidays whilst everybody else went home.

So on the whole I loved my college but really disliked the university as a whole but TBH it's quite clear that a lot of my reasons for withdrawing were personal so don't think I'm saying Durham is an awful uni so don't go.. I think I just looked at the reputation it held and the competitiveness to get an offer rather than whether I'd be happy there. All I can recommend is that you definitely go to any open days or post offer days. Many people I became friends with were more than satisfied with their university experience, Durham just isn't for everybody and you won't know that until you go!
Just got an offer from Chester for geography and international development asking for BCC!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: It is my 4th choice but if I don't get offers from my other 3, I'd still be happy going there!
Reply 363
Course: Politics/PPE
GCSE: 1A* (in Chemistry, phah), 8As, 2Bs
AS: AAAB - History, Politics, Maths, Music (my B)
A2: A*A*A - dropped music
Choices - Oxford (PPE, ahhhhhh), Durham (Politics + PPE), York (Politics), Exeter (Politics)
No offers yet, my UCAS has only just been sent off, I believe.
Reply 364
Original post by t.thompson22
Application was submitted to UCAS earlier this week, no offers yet from UCL, Warwick, Liverpool, Bristol & Manchester. Although I got an acknowledgment email from UCL at 10pm last night. :biggrin:

Applying for biochemistry. And cellular & molecular medicine at Bristol. :smile:

I have applied for cellular and molecular medicine at Bristol, too! :biggrin:
Original post by Phob
I have applied for cellular and molecular medicine at Bristol, too! :biggrin:

Yay!! I got a conditional offer of BBB from them 2 days ago. Did you get an offer too?
Anybody know how quick Cambridge, Bristol, UCL, Warwick and Nottingham are for law offers? Any insight would be much appreciated x
Reply 367
Original post by t.thompson22
Yay!! I got a conditional offer of BBB from them 2 days ago. Did you get an offer too?

BBB too! Not unconditional, though! Well done, you must have had a killer personal statement :tongue:.
Original post by Phob
BBB too! Not unconditional, though! Well done, you must have had a killer personal statement :tongue:.

Thank you, same to you!! Don't get this the wrong way, but I felt like my PS was the best thing I've EVER written. :biggrin:
Original post by sophie_armstrong
Hi! I picked Brasenose for Oxford and St Mary's for Durham! I got my offer for Durham today!

Wow that was fast!! Congratulations! :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
I have my first offer! Glasgow, AAB! :biggrin: Now the long, hard wait for Edinburgh...
Original post by trythis
I have my first offer! Glasgow, AAB! :biggrin: Now the long, hard wait for Edinburgh...

How long did it take? What were the requirements and what were ur predicted?
Original post by trythis

My friend got an offer from Edinburgh last Friday so i hopeful the wait won't be too long for you!
Original post by butterfly_belle
My friend got an offer from Edinburgh last Friday so i hopeful the wait won't be too long for you!

That's awesome, thanks! Do you know what course your friend is applying for? And if they're an international/EU/UK student?
Original post by Babzgiwa
U going to Chester open day on saturday

Nope I need to edit my post bc I'm not applying there anymore. Swapped it with Aberdeen
Original post by mahmzo
How long did it take? What were the requirements and what were ur predicted?

Sent my application in on the 3rd October, got my offer on the 12th. My offer is AAB including Mathematics, and the standard offer is also AAB. I'm predicted A*A*A*.
Reply 376
Name: Alex
Course: Psychology
Where? Bath spa, Coventry, Hull, Liverpool, Leeds trinity
AS grades+Subjects: Biology-D Sociology-A Psychology-B
A2 Predicted/Achieved: Biology-C Sociology-A Psychology-B
Offers? Haven't sent form yet..
Original post by trythis
That's awesome, thanks! Do you know what course your friend is applying for? And if they're an international/EU/UK student?

She's a UK student and applied for chemical physics :smile:
Original post by butterfly_belle
She's a UK student and applied for chemical physics :smile:

Wonderful, thanks!:h: I'm an EU student applying for Computing but hopefully I'll get an offer soon. Edinburgh is my first choice! (Above Cambridge, even)
Can I join too ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest