The Student Room Group

Do i need to give references on my UCAS application

I've been volunteering on a ward in a hospital, and I was wondering whether I need to get a reference from them to confirm that I've been volunteering there? if so, where on my application would go? I've also achieved multiple grades in piano performance, verse&prose, and various types of dance. Will i need to provide a reference/certificate for these? because I've probably lost some of them.
Reply 1
You just mention you've done the experience in your personal statement. Some universities, like Manchester, also send a separate form in which you provide evidence for this
Original post by Moodicrus
I've been volunteering on a ward in a hospital, and I was wondering whether I need to get a reference from them to confirm that I've been volunteering there? if so, where on my application would go? I've also achieved multiple grades in piano performance, verse&prose, and various types of dance. Will i need to provide a reference/certificate for these? because I've probably lost some of them.

In addition to what is said above, nobody will want to see your dance etc certificates, unless that's the kind of degree you are applying for. It's usually just GCSE and A level certificates, or their equivalent in BTEC or Scottish qualifications etc.
Reply 3
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
In addition to what is said above, nobody will want to see your dance etc certificates, unless that's the kind of degree you are applying for. It's usually just GCSE and A level certificates, or their equivalent in BTEC or Scottish qualifications etc.

Oh okay, thanks!
Assuming you are applying for something like Nursing? If so, your work experience will be discussed at interview - so no need for references as what you say about this experience at interview will be far more important than a standard reference.
Reply 5
Original post by returnmigrant
Assuming you are applying for something like Nursing? If so, your work experience will be discussed at interview - so no need for references as what you say about this experience at interview will be far more important than a standard reference.

Yeah, I'm applying for medicine, and thanks for clarifying for me.

Sadly, performing arts skills play no part in the selection of medical students, but it is pleasant to speculate how much better the NHS would be if it were so...
Reply 7
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Sadly, performing arts skills play no part in the selection of medical students, but it is pleasant to speculate how much better the NHS would be if it were so...

Yeah, I completely get that, I just briefly mentioned that I've got my Diploma in piano performance and other awards to show I'm a ' well rounded person'.

Lots of info here on all aspects of Applying for Medicine - including work experience, personal statements etc

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending