The Student Room Group

Oyster card confusion...

I am going to be travelling to London in a couple of weeks and spending four days there with my boyfriend. I have been to London before and found the tube to be the most convenient method of transport but the oyster card system is confusing me.

Can someone enlighten me as to whether the visitor oyster card or the regular oyster card is better value for money.

I understand the £6.50 cap per day, so we will both be topping up £30 to use rather than buying the week or daily travel cards, so what is the difference between the regular oyster card and the visitors one for this purpose.

thanks in advance.
What is a visitor Oyster card?
Reply 2
Original post by queen-bee
What is a visitor Oyster card?

https://tfl.gov.uk/travel-information/visiting-london/visitor-oyster-card

I was directed to this page when googling oyster cards and it seems to be different from the normal one, I just cant tell which one is more useful to me.
Original post by Natalierm2707
https://tfl.gov.uk/travel-information/visiting-london/visitor-oyster-card

I was directed to this page when googling oyster cards and it seems to be different from the normal one, I just cant tell which one is more useful to me.

According to the website, the Visitor Oyster limits you to Zones 1 and 2 so you wouldn't be able to travel to "more outer" London attractions like Hampton Court, Kew Gardens, the Olympic Park etc.
If you have a contactless debit card, you use that instead of buying an oyster card. The prices are still the same.
Reply 5
Original post by Tiger Rag
If you have a contactless debit card, you use that instead of buying an oyster card. The prices are still the same.

Sadly i do not and neither does my partner 😕

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Tiger Rag

Sadly i do not and neither does my partner 😕

Posted from TSR Mobile

Use Android Pay or Apple Pay on your phone with your debit card loaded on it.
https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/contactless/other-methods-of-contactless-payment/android-pay?cid=androidpay
Reply 7
As others said its a lot easier to use a cebit/credit card.
Reply 8
Original post by Napp
As others said its a lot easier to use a cebit/credit card.

We dont have contactless cards.
Reply 9
We dont have contactless cards.

My mistake, either way almost anything is better than an Oyster Card. If memory serves it'd about £5/10 to get the damn thing and if you want to cash it in when you're done with it you have to bring all manner of annoying proof with you to prove it'syours.
Reply 10
Original post by Napp
My mistake, either way almost anything is better than an Oyster Card. If memory serves it'd about £5/10 to get the damn thing and if you want to cash it in when you're done with it you have to bring all manner of annoying proof with you to prove it'syours.

I understand its a pain, but considering were not londoners and we travel in 2 weeks we have no time to order contactless cards, I will also never set up apple pay, to me its more of a pain than its worth.

I will just go with the regular oyster card, but thanks for the input.
Reply 11
I understand its a pain, but considering were not londoners and we travel in 2 weeks we have no time to order contactless cards, I will also never set up apple pay, to me its more of a pain than its worth.

I would make one suggestion; the prepaid contactless cards.
Reply 12

Apple Pay is very easy to set up. And saves you the cost of an Oyster card.

Alternatively you will have to pre-load your Oyster card and then reclaim any unused cash on it. It's quite a hassle...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

I loaded £15 for a trip to london with my boyfriend on a visitor oyster card, and i managed to use it for more than 4 days before i hit into a negative balance with a bus journey (probably 5 days worth, i only stuck in zone 1 though) . If you're sticking to zone 1, £15 each is more than enough really if not less. So personally, i'll be getting mine refunded since i have apple pay and contactless for london now, but if i didnt i'd still be using it for sure.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest