The Student Room Group

Can't decide on a Medicine-related EPQ topic

Hello,
I am an A level college student and have signed up for EPQ. I have some ideas but am finding it difficult to decide on one topic. I am interested in the neurological side of things but I am open to other interesting topics also.
My current ideas include:
-Autism, what is it? ( I know this is quite broad and I may need to make it more specific)
-How have treatments for mental health problems developed over time? (I want to talk about trepanning as I find that quite interesting)
-How does the body respond to pain? (i.e. natural pain killers etc.)
-The science behind addiction

Please let me know your thoughts on any of these and which one you think would be most useful in relation to medicine. Also, if you have any other good ideas then please let me know :-)
Reply 1
Original post by megan9212
Hello,
I am an A level college student and have signed up for EPQ. I have some ideas but am finding it difficult to decide on one topic. I am interested in the neurological side of things but I am open to other interesting topics also.
-Autism, what is it? ( I know this is quite broad and I may need to make it more specific)
-How have treatments for mental health problems developed over time? (I want to talk about trepanning as I find that quite interesting)

Please let me know your thoughts on any of these and which one you think would be most useful in relation to medicine. Also, if you have any other good ideas then please let me know :-)

Hi Megan,

They all sound like good topics but my advice would be to have a more focused question in relation to your topic. For example, if your discussing the treatment for mental health conditions, I would probably discuss the treatment for a specific condition i.e schizophrenia, bipolar etc...
The reason for saying this is that I would try and avoid having to cover too much content. This should give your academic writing more focus. The EPQ is a useful tool to include within your personal statement when applying for medicine.
Not only should you briefly discuss your chosen topic; it is also imperative to discuss what you have learnt and the skills you have developed through completing an academic piece of writing. It may also be counter productive to do a topic that you're going to cover during a level which will also aid your understanding and revision for upcoming exams. If you have any more questions or any questions relating to medicine, feel free to ask!

Good luck!*
I would avoid the one about treatments over time because it can easily become a narrative.
Original post by megan9212
Hello,

I wouldn't do it on a topic in medicine unless it is ethics based. EPQ requires you to just fill in a learning log with as much bs as possible and write an essay, which is marked to criteria that don't really fit with scientific topics so much. If you still are able to, I would avoid doing an EPQ. It's pointless, time consuming and not very useful to be honest :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest