The Student Room Group

Are you constantly aware of your heartbeat?

I was reading an article about the myths of caffeine being bad for you and it says:
"Excessive premature atrial contractions (PACs) are a common kind of heart arrhythmia, or heartbeat that is beating too fast, too slow, or irregular.
One of the most common symptoms is heart palpitations or someone having an unusual awareness of heartbeats and have been linked to stroke and death"

... Now I thought it was normal to be aware of your heartbeat. I am aware of my heartbeat every waking moment, and it's been like that for as long as I can remember. In fact, I get worried if I can't feel it.

How many of you can feel it in this way too? Is it really something to worry about? :s-smilie:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It's pretty common to be aware of your own heartbeat. It's not unusual. The reason you sometimes don't even notice it is because your brain chooses to ignore it, just like it ignores your nose making you not being able to see it anywhere else than reflections.

Im almost constantly aware of my heartbeat but that's due to my heart arrhythmia (most certainly not due to caffeine, I tend to stay away from that) as well as anxiety. But it's never been said by any doctor to me that it's unnatural for me to feel it
I am always aware of my heartbeat. I have a condition called Atrial Fibrillation where my heart beats too fast and can go over 100. One of the associating factors is high risk of a stroke. Can be quite frightening at times.
If you have anxiety you certainly are
Lol you see this is why I'm slightly worried, the only two people who have agreed with me so far both have something wrong (however minor) with their rhythm.

Original post by Little Popcorns
If you have anxiety you certainly are

I know most people feel their heart beat when they're anxious etc, but I'm wondering if people also feel it at their resting rate with no anxiety, nothing wrong with their heart etc.
I don't feel my heart beat unless I specifically try to find it.
Most certainly*
Yes bc anxiety.
I kind of liken my heart to some kind of symbiotic animal, i need it to survive but sometimes it gets out of control and i have to calm it down again but yes i can always feel it sometimes to the point of hurting/aching but meh
I'll occasionally have moments where I will be consciously aware of my heartbeat and the fact that I am breathing in and out, but not for any specific reasons relating to my health. Either way it is kind of annoying and obsessive once you become fixated upon it. :tongue:
by being aware of it do you mean you can actually feel each beat?
Original post by Sternumator
I don't feel my heart beat unless I specifically try to find it.

this
Original post by defenestrated
by being aware of it do you mean you can actually feel each beat?

yes
I'm aware of it when I'm suffering from anxiety
Original post by The Racist Dragon
yes

all the time?? :redface:
i don't think that's normal
but if it's always been like that and not caused you any problems then it should be fine
I can only feel mine if it starts beating harder than usual
Original post by defenestrated
all the time?? :redface:
i don't think that's normal
but if it's always been like that and not caused you any problems then it should be fine
I can only feel mine if it starts beating harder than usual

it's okay, I've come to terms with it, I'm writing my will as we speak :tongue:
Original post by The Racist Dragon
it's okay, I've come to terms with it, I'm writing my will as we speak :tongue:

leave me something pls
I am having the same issue. I wasn't usually aware of the beats unless I search for it. My heart rate is perfectly normally but I am so aware of it. Does anyone have that issue?
Original post by avagaylevy1997
I am having the same issue. I wasn't usually aware of the beats unless I search for it. My heart rate is perfectly normally but I am so aware of it. Does anyone have that issue?

What issue - being aware of the beats when you search for them? That defo sounds normal...
When I lay down for sleeping, my heart starts pounding very fast. Sometimes I have low blood pressure, is it possible it's related to that? HELP
Original post by A.shaquile
When I lay down for sleeping, my heart starts pounding very fast. Sometimes I have low blood pressure, is it possible it's related to that? HELP

Hiya. This is an old thread so you're unlikely to get any responses (anybody who does click the thread would probably respond to OP by mistake).
I'm going to close this thread so other users don't get confused, but please feel free to make a new thread so you can get responses. :smile:

I would suggest you go see your GP to check there's nothing up.

Latest