The Student Room Group

english book help!

Ok, so for my A2 English coursework we get to make up our own titles and completely choose our own books to compare. I really want to do a piece of writing on literary approaches to religion, ethics and/or morality. Can anyone suggest any books that have an underlying theme of morality that they think would be allowed by AQA?
any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
Hannah
Reply 1
Portnoy's Complaint.
I dare you, do it.
Reply 2
Atonement by Ian McEwan? It's about morality in the sense that it asks whether you can ever truly atone for your mistakes and be forgiven.
Reply 3
Does it have to have been originally written in English?
A previous student at my school wrote an awesome essay on Dostoevsky and religion. Dostoevsky was a Christian but he went through a period of doubting his faith, and there are strong themes of forgiveness, morality, the nature of God and resurrection throughout Crime and Punishment and The Brothers Karamazov. If you read some critical material it'll give you some pointers. You can buy copies of the above for about £2 each from Amazon.

They are a bit of an effort to read, but if you've got all summer it would be worthwhile. They are translated from Russian so check with your teacher that works in translation can be used for your coursework.

Failing that, does it have to be novels? If not try John Milton's work, Samson Agonistes and Paradise Lost tackle the themes of temptation, the fall of man etc with direct biblical significance.
Reply 5
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
Reply 6
"A Clockwork Orange" by Anthony Burgess tackles themes of morality; it asks if it is better to condition someone to be good, or to allow an individual to make the decision to be bad. And then there are the debates around the text itself; does writing about violence in this way glamourise it (there were suggestions that there were real-life "copy-cats" of the violence after the book came out)?

Another one that might be interesting to look at is "L'Etranger" (The Outsider/Stranger depending on how the edition you use translates it) by Albert Camus; the protagonist commits murder but shows no remorse, and Camus does not seem to invite the reader to condemn the crime or the man.
Reply 7
em1n3m
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

I agree! I'm doing "Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad and "The Bell Jar" By Sylvia Plath they are v.interesting

Latest

Trending

Trending