The Student Room Group

How many hours of lessons/school time makes a 'full time' sixth form student?

Long story short, I will already have an A-level when I enter A2 study in September 2016. I only want to take two A2 subjects from September (which make up approx 4/5 hours of lesson time each per week). I don't want to take another AS subject to make up the remainder of school time in the week (I will already have 3 other AS levels!!). Would an EPQ be an alternate way of doing this?

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated & I am open to questions- my situation is pretty complex.

I just need to know the legal requirement for 'full time' hours! Thanks
Original post by mmnkeir
Long story short, I will already have an A-level when I enter A2 study in September 2016. I only want to take two A2 subjects from September (which make up approx 4/5 hours of lesson time each per week). I don't want to take another AS subject to make up the remainder of school time in the week (I will already have 3 other AS levels!!). Would an EPQ be an alternate way of doing this?

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated & I am open to questions- my situation is pretty complex.

I just need to know the legal requirement for 'full time' hours! Thanks

I could be wrong but when i was in further education, it was 16 hours needed.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
I could be wrong but when i was in further education, it was 16 hours needed.

Ahh okay, I'm currently doing three A2 subjects and 14 hours a week!
Original post by mmnkeir
Ahh okay, I'm currently doing three A2 subjects and 14 hours a week!

It probably varies per education authority but i'm not sure 2 subjects would give you enough hours, best to just speak to your school/college to see if there's a way to get round it.
If you're only doing 2 A2 levels and not the AS levels then I'd say that is probably not enough as in my year there were 2 students doing one entire A level (A2 and AS) and one A2 level and they only just had enough time to be full time students (and i think that included form times and assemblies and stuff like that, 'hours in school' I think is what their school said)
Reply 5
It probably varies per education authority but i'm not sure 2 subjects would give you enough hours, best to just speak to your school/college to see if there's a way to get round it.

I've arranged to speak to my head of sixth form, but I'd like to somehow find the legal requirement beforehand so I'll have some sort of plan before trying to negotiate :smile:
Original post by mmnkeir
I've arranged to speak to my head of sixth form, but I'd like to somehow find the legal requirement beforehand so I'll have some sort of plan before trying to negotiate :smile:

From a quick search, apparently for child benefit purposes full time is 12 hours+ so it could be that, otherwise i can't find any other legal information. Sorry not to have been more help.
Reply 7
Original post by smartalan73
If you're only doing 2 A2 levels and not the AS levels then I'd say that is probably not enough as in my year there were 2 students doing one entire A level (A2 and AS) and one A2 level and they only just had enough time to be full time students (and i think that included form times and assemblies and stuff like that, 'hours in school' I think is what their school said)

Do you mean that they were studying AS & A2 of the same subject within the same year?? - I've already done the AS levels for both the A2 subjects I want to study.
Reply 8
From a quick search, apparently for child benefit purposes full time is 12 hours+ so it could be that, otherwise i can't find any other legal information. Sorry not to have been more help.

That has helped, thank you!! I need to find out for tax credit purposes as I'll have to pay my mum monthly rent if I'm not legally in full time education. :smile:
Original post by mmnkeir
Do you mean that they were studying AS & A2 of the same subject within the same year?? - I've already done the AS levels for both the A2 subjects I want to study.

Yeah they'd already done a whole AS and A2 in the first year so they were still gonna come out of it with 3 A levels. Tbh i thought it should be the equivalent lesson time to 3 A2s anyway but apparently they had less time, maybe cos the AS and A2 being for the same subject meant less lessons. We tried to google the definition of 'full time' but the stuff we came up with sort of implied nobody at our school was a full time student so idk
Reply 10
Original post by smartalan73
Yeah they'd already done a whole AS and A2 in the first year so they were still gonna come out of it with 3 A levels. Tbh i thought it should be the equivalent lesson time to 3 A2s anyway but apparently they had less time, maybe cos the AS and A2 being for the same subject meant less lessons. We tried to google the definition of 'full time' but the stuff we came up with sort of implied nobody at our school was a full time student so idk

That's interesting.. I'd never heard of A-levels being done like that before! Thanks for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest