The Student Room Group

Life as a Muslim

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hideseek
Thank you for your replies!

I just have one more questiom before i close this thread,
What about taking days off to go home for religious holidays such as eid? Is that permitted?

Is eid not around Christmas time (25 December - 1 January)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by jonathanemptage

Posted from TSR Mobile

No there's one in September and one in July :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22

Posted from TSR Mobile

It changes every year as it is based on the lunar calendar, neither of the eids will be during Christmas time for a while. Eid al adha will be during the summer holiday for around 3 years but eid ul fitr will be during term time for a while
Reply 23
It changes every year as it is based on the lunar calendar, neither of the eids will be during Christmas time for a while. Eid al adha will be during the summer holiday for around 3 years but eid ul fitr will be during term time for a while

Judging from the Eid dates found online, they will be in the holidays a lot or mostly only be in the exam period for most subjects. The exam page here has information on rearranging exams for religious observances: https://www.ox.ac.uk/students/academic/exams/arrangements?wssl=1
Original post by Kutta
Its beautiful isn't it :redface:

Haha yeahh very ....lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello,
Recently, I went to an open day at Oxford University and I enjoyed it a lot, however, there's one thing that's been bugging me. I really want to apply to Oxford but I do need to consider the actual lifestyle there.
At every college, there is a chapel and bar which made me wonder what life is like for Muslims studying at Oxford. I was told that it's not actually religious, but for someone who would feel slightly uncomfortable going into a chapel and doesn't drink at all, I'm slightly confused, I also didn't see many Muslims when I visited.

How is life like for Muslims studying at Oxford university??

(preferably, answers from Muslims)

EDIT: thank you for all replies but now i wish to know about eid, are you allowed to take the day off to go home for eid? And how was ramadan for you?
I do plan on applying no matter what, i would just like to know how it is like beforehand.

Thanks for your question. We have also been thinking about these issues and recently the Oxford Imam came to advise us. There are a number of Muslim students at Brasenose and also across the University. One of our graduates this year helped organise the University Islamic Society and was also a college rep.

http://ouisoc.org/

We'll start with Eid: you can celebrate it in Oxford (with the Islamic Society) or go home for the end of Ramadan. The University has a calendar of religious festivals and other significant dates and academic and other events are not scheduled on them. We deal with requests from students for special arrangements linked to religious observance (including Ramadan) and deal with them as a matter of routine.

https://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/eop/inpractice/equalitydates/

There is a University multifaith prayer facility and provision is being expanded because of the growth in the number of students of non-Christian faiths studying here. As mentioned above, there is also a University Imam.

As a college, we have taken steps to cater for special dietary needs and also to train staff to anticipate and meet the needs of all students, including Muslim students. We are improving but want to improve further since we feel that more very gifted Islamic students could apply to Oxford than are currently doing.

There is a chapel and a bar at Brasenose. There is also a Latin 'grace' recited before formal dinners. We have consulted and continue to consult about these features of college life and feel that the profile of the chapel is appropriate and acceptable to students of non-christan faiths and indeed no faith. We also feel that access and consumption of alcohol is proportionate and balanced. There are areas of college where drinking is permitted at certain times (eg a licensed bar, certain formal meals, outdoors with a permit for specific events) and other areas which are alcohol free. The Junior Common Room, for example, is an alcohol-free area.

Freshers Week likewise is carefully planned - students are free to choose whether to drink and free to choose not to drink. Social pressure to consume alcohol is frowned on in any form and there are no student societies formed solely for the purpose of dining/drinking. Our Freshers do certainly enjoy themselves and the feedback on the start of the year is hugely positive.

We are aware that some of our traditions refer to drink and/or have christian references: for example 'Ale Verses' and 'Ascension Day' (where Lincoln invite us over and offer 'ivy beer' These are absolutely not occasions for drunkenness and can be appreciated without consuming alcohol. Similarly, the JCR organises some events (such as fancy dress 'BOPs' that are followed by organised trips to clubs but they have in recent years organised alternative follow-on activities, recognising diversity of interests and needs within college.

We don't record religious beliefs and so are not sure exactly how many Islamic students currently study at the college. Based on ethnic minority data (which is supplied to us by UCAS a year AFTER decisions are made), we think that the proportion is above average for the UK population but below the level that Muslim students may be used to in their home area. There are always a number of Muslim undergraduates in each cohort.

The University is running a series of admissions events for ethnic minority and religious minority students in parts of the country so look out for details. If you plan a visit during term time, we would be happy to ask a current student to give you a tour and answer queries.

Brasenose Admissions
(edited 7 years ago)
Plenty of Muslims there and there's an Islamic society and you don't have to drink if you don't want to. As for the chapel.mwell you can think of it as more of a tradition than a religious place but even for that you don't need to go.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by HAnwar
No there's one in September and one in July :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it's Eid al Ada. My Muslim friend told me.

Ah see not being muslim or religious I hadn't realised that.
Here is a link to the event we mentioned in our earlier reply: http://m.asianimage.co.uk/news/14619512.Oxford_University_launches__outreach_initiative__targeting_talented_Asian_students/

And here are details about the Oxford Eid Extravaganza which takes place this Saturday (23rd July): https://www.localmuslimevents.com/oxford-eid-extravaganza-oxford.html
Don't feel uncomfortable going into the chapel lol. You wont be forced to go anywhere/do anything. it's like how many muslims go to catholic colleges. yes they have mass for those who want to attend but no one will make you go.
and the issue with bars. well many universities have a large drinking culture so that's not even exclusive to oxford sadly.
the only issue with oxford is i'm not sure about their provision of halal food- you might have to go pescatarian if u go there lol.
Maybe find out the demographic of people that go there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, feel free to message me - I've just finished my degree and I'm a Muslim :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending