Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

What's your ideal final job and income?

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

(Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    When considering future earnings it's worth thinking about what kind of jobs will be subject to increased automation as technology improves, and what could be outsourced overseas which will drive down wages.

Some of the financial services jobs might come in this category especially regarding outsourcing when trade deals are in place with countries like India that open up markets: Indian financial service firms will be more easily able to compete for UK contracts which should lower the cost by driving down fees from UK firms that are forced to compete with them. Which will be cheaper for businesses generally but may mean that some of the UK salaries have to come down to be more in line with the Indian ones.
    I'm pretty sure international firms are already in India with their own dedicated teams that have a fee rate of whatever the local market can bear and compensation models of whatever the market can bear. Here in the UK we mostly deal with countries in Europe, the middle east (i.e. both very wealthy ecomomies) and Africa (same principle re:India). It's doubtful that firms will change this structure any time soon.

Although automation of some products and roles is a reality everywhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i want to work in a panda and/or sloth sanctuary
    realistically a manager

A nurse and have about £100k a year

(Original post by Demi27022000)
    A nurse and have about £100k a year

Posted from TSR Mobile

MP or hopefully PM (unlikely)

I want to create my own boutique advertising agency. After a few decades I want to expand and grow into a multinational giant. And finally, I want to die in a toilet in Las Vegas (not really but that would be a mildly cool, Elvis-style death).

Income or net worth: sky's the limit. I don't much care how much I will earn or what I'd be worth if I get to own and manage my own ad agency (successfully ofc). Clearly, If I'm successful, I'd be earning big £. But that's not really the goal, the goal is to create awesome ad campaigns and participate in the culture as a producer, not just a consumer.

(Original post by Princepieman)
    If everything fell into place for you in the future, when you're nearing retirement, what would you say would be your ideal job level/title and total income at that point?

What about net worth?
    What about you?

(Original post by LPauling)
    What about you?
    I said a while back:

Managing director in investment banking covering technology or technology, media and telecommunications companies - these guys usually pull in high six figures to seven figures

Partner in technology focused private equity investing firm - usually seven figures (or more) when taking into account investment returns

Founder and CEO/CSO of my own technology startup, which hopefully grows into a larger company - salary doesn't matter as long as I get to own a sizeable share of the company

Posted from TSR Mobile
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do wear to bed?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.