Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Graduating without honours

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    Not me, but one of my friends is on the graduate list, however there is a seperate section for him on the program as his is without honours.

    What does this even mean? And how come he didn't get with honours anyway?

    Failed a module and didn't receive the requisite credits, usually 360, to receive honours.

    Posted from TSR Mobile

    It can mean two different things. In Scotland you can leave university after your third year with an ordinary (non-honours) degree. But usually graduating without honours means you didn't achieve an overall mark of 40% (which is the minimum you need to get an Honours degree), or because you didn't pass all the required modules.

    If an English uni, it depends on the individual uni's regs. At my undergrad uni, you would get a non-Honours degree if you failed your final year dissertation but passed the rest of your course's coursework or exams. You would usually be given a chance either to re-work and resubmit over the summer, capped at 40%. If the diss was a total non-starter, you may be offered the chance to produce a new one from scratch over the next year (usually capped at 40% if there were no extenuating circumstances) if the uni thought you were capable. Sometimes in that situation you would be offered the option of accepting a non-Honours degree instead (as a part-time student you wouldn't get a Maintenance Loan so most students couldn't afford it unless they could get a job to pay the bills).

    Some students are so pointless that they're offered a non-Honours degree just to make them go away. One person on my course had retaken both the first and second years, and had flunked her third year by not turning in a dissertation. She was being supported financially by her parents, who were prepared to let her retake that part of third year. Instead, the uni awarded her a non-Honours degree and didn't give her the option of a retake.

    More than 300 credits but not 360....usually because of a fail on a dissertation.

    Some universities offer it as an alternative to a pass/third class honours degree depending on how your module grades and credits add up.

    The people I know with them have generally done incredibly well in the workplace - it will rule out any graduate schemes that filter on classification but those employ a small minority of graduates anyway.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 11, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find
Useful resources


Freshers guidePreparing for universityGuide to Freshers' WeekCity and nightlife guidesAlcohol guide for freshersStaying safe at uniBudgeting and financeStudent foodTravel and getting aroundUniversity study tipsHow to write your dissertation in just four weeksA week in the life of a uni student

Sponsored features:



Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Canterbury Christ Church University logo

Canterbury Christ Church University

Discover more about this community-focused university

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick link:

Unanswered uni life threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.