The Student Room Group

Theresa May to become PM, Brexiters lose!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tortle
UK needs to set up alternate trade deals with other countries now, this will leave the EU with less bargaining chips when it comes to the Brexit negotiations.

It can't. As long as the UK remains in the EU, it can't negotiate trade deals.

Even if it could trade deals take years to be completed.
Original post by elitepower
Remain voters lose as we have been dragged out of the UK into a mess with no plan. Brexiters lose as a Remain support is leading the Brexit and may not deliver the deal wanted. Leave voters who voted based on the false promises lose. Companies have lost money and jobs will decline so jobseekers will lose. Hate crime has risen so immigrants and even Leave voters who don't "look British" and encounter racism lose. The UK loses Scotland as it will leave over this issue. Scotland loses as the UK plans to drag it out of the EU. Leadsom loses by not becoming PM and everyone else loses as Therese May becomes a unelected Prime Minister. Half the country hates the other for voting Leave and a bunch of Leave voters hate how this is going.*
This is not a situation where anyone wins. We have all lost and the UK is finished. *

Everything is fine, Canada is not in the EU and is doing ok. Also, we font vote for a PM in the UK, so it makes no difference that we have a new PM.
Original post by Sisuphos
It can't. As long as the UK remains in the EU, it can't negotiate trade deals.

This is the opinion of a single commissioner who will pretty soon learn where real power resides in the EU.
Reply 43
Why are the EU so desperate to send us migrants and free movement workers anyway? That's the deeper question.
Original post by Tortle
UK needs to set up alternate trade deals with other countries now, this will leave the EU with less bargaining chips when it comes to the Brexit negotiations.

But it can't do that until it has left the EU though. All that is possible now are just pre-negotiation talks with India, US etc which is what they are doing
Original post by nulli tertius
This is the opinion of a single commissioner who will pretty soon learn where real power resides in the EU.

I don't understand, this is part and parcel of being in the EU. The EU negotiates trade deals as a bloc. No country does it unilaterally. Juncker is not the issue here.
Reply 46
Original post by UKCATrocks
But it can't do that until it has left the EU though. All that is possible now are just pre-negotiation talks with India, US etc which is what they are doing

That will still help. As long as we make a song and dance about it, and let the EU know about it.
Original post by Tortle
That will still help. As long as we make a song and dance about it, and let the EU know about it.

Indeed. And I think other countries are secretly jealous that the UK did what they think quietly. Apart from France, but they've always been up their own butts.
Original post by Sisuphos
I don't understand, this is part and parcel of being in the EU. The EU negotiates trade deals as a bloc. No country does it unilaterally. Juncker is not the issue here.

I didn't mean Juncker

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36678222

Her line is we cannot negotiate trade deals with the EU until we have finally left. If she seriously thinks that Germany will allow its car workers to swing in the wind for more than two years she is seriously wanting.

It is perfectly obvious that in return for the UK not frustrating what the rest of EU want to do for the next 2 years, those states are going to agree to let us negotiate with third countries, deals that take effect on departure.
No free movement = no single market

This is a red line that the EU has said categorically that they wont cross. Switzerland are already facing issues over access to the single market due their recent refusal to continue allowing free movement of people.

Any Brexiter thinking we can maintain access to the single market without maintaining free movement is living in a dreamland.

And if we lose access to the single market then that means our financial sector will take a huge hit due to losing passporting rights (ie. financial transactions in Euros can be conducted and taxed within the UK). Current estimates are a loss of around 2% of our GDP if we revert to WTO rules and don't maintain full access to the single market. To put that in perspective, a loss of 2% of our GDP is the equivalent of over £1billion lost to the UK economy every week.

I have faith that Theresa May isn't a reckless idiot so I doubt she'd want to inflict sort of damage to the UK. In other words, I'm relatively confident that "Brexit means Brexit" is just another one of those catchy slogans for the Brexit crowd to gobble up unthinkingly. But then again, the Leave campaign's promises were so vague that maybe some Brexiters will be happy with staying in the EU in all but name.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by UKCATrocks
Indeed. And I think other countries are secretly jealous that the UK did what they think quietly. Apart from France, but they've always been up their own butts.

We must pave the way for counties like Denmark to leave the EU,
Reply 51
Original post by looseseal

This is a red line that the EU has said categorically that they wont cross. Switzerland are already facing issues over access to the single market due their recent refusal to continue allowing free movement of people.

Any Brexiter thinking we can maintain access to the single market without maintaining free movement is living in a dreamland.

And if we lose access to the single market then that means our financial sector will take a huge hit due to losing passporting rights (ie. financial transactions in Euros can be conducted and taxed within the UK). Current estimates are a loss of around 2% of our GDP if we revert to WTO rules and don't maintain full access to the single market. To put that in perspective, a loss of 2% of our GDP is the equivalent of over £1billion lost to the UK economy every week.

We've heard this kind of rhetoric from the financial elite before, "too big to fail" from the bankers etc.

I have faith that Theresa May isn't a reckless idiot so I doubt she'd want to inflict sort of damage to the UK. In other words, I'm relatively confident that "Brexit means Brexit" is just another one of those catchy slogans for the Brexit crowd to gobble up unthinkingly. But then again, the Leave campaign's promises were so vague that maybe some Brexiters will be happy with staying in the EU in all but name.

I guess it then all rests on whether they can manoeuvre with the other countries to put up barriers to immigration.
Original post by Tortle
We've heard this kind of rhetoric from the financial elite before, "too big to fail" from the bankers etc.

And we ended up bailing them out to the tune of trillions of dollars after the 2008 recession so I'm not sure what your point is...?
Reply 55
Reply 56
And we ended up bailing them out to the tune of trillions of dollars after the 2008 recession so I'm not sure what your point is...?

I never agreed with the bailouts...

The London Financial sector is using the 'they're too big to Brexit' argument now.
Original post by Tortle
I don't trust Polls. The Polls predicted remain for UK.

Fine, but I prefer polls taken by experienced professionals to the opinion of someone who has probably never eaten a wienerbrod in Copenhagen.
Reply 58
Original post by nulli tertius
Fine, but I prefer polls taken by experienced professionals to the opinion of someone who has probably never eaten a wienerbrod in Copenhagen.

I have eaten a traditional Danish hot dog in Denmark though.
Original post by Tortle
I never agreed with the bailouts...

The London Financial sector is using the 'they're too big to Brexit' argument now.

But the reality was that they were too big to fail. Therefore dismissing the current rumblings of the financial sector as simply "project fear" or unimportant would be extremely unwise.

Personally, I don't like the UK's dependence on the financial sector, but we need to build up our other sectors before we try and cut the umbilical cord.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending