The Student Room Group

Curve Sketching resources.

Hi,
I need to learn to sketch curves of the following functions:
1) Linear, Quadratic and Cubic Functions (both that can be factorised and that can't be)
2) Trigonometric, Inverse Trigonometric, Exponential and Logarithmic functions.
3) Second degree Homogeneous equations.
4) Rational functions with straight and oblique asymptotes.
5) Rational functions with non factorable quadratic as denominator.
6) Some combined functions like: sin x / x, sin x / x^2, logx X sin x, sin(x^2), ln (x^2 + 2), product of functions (x sin x), sum of functions (sin x + cos x) etc.

What are some good resources to learn sketching these curves?
I am comfortable with first (extrimas) and second (concavities and points of inflection) derivatives.

Much appreciations.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tangotangopapa2
Hi,
1) Linear, Quadratic and Cubic Functions (both that can be factorised and that can't be)
6) Some combined functions like: sin x / x, sin x / x^2, logx X sin x, sin(x^2), ln (x^2 + 2) etc.

Much appreciations.

Try http://www.examsolutions.net/ and go to the respective module pages. Such as FP2 revision page, C4 revision page. It's very good for revising all topics actually so try it out :smile:
Reply 2
Hi,
6) Some combined functions like: sin x / x, sin x / x^2, logx X sin x, sin(x^2), ln (x^2 + 2) etc.

Much appreciations.

You can often simply Google a function and it'll show you what it looks like. Though, examsolutions is great and wolframalpha is awesome also for specific questions to practice, which is the best way to get it to stick.

If you ever get really stuck, just make a table of values. When x= 1,2,3.... What does y = ?
Plot the points and you should be able to recognise them.
Thank you so much.
I will look at exam-solutions. I would be blessed if I found some sheets like : http://faculty.uml.edu/rbrent/131/LF/Lect26.pdf but with much more examples.

Original post by JLegion
You can often simply Google a function and it'll show you what it looks like. Though, examsolutions is great and wolframalpha is awesome also for specific questions to practice, which is the best way to get it to stick.

If you ever get really stuck, just make a table of values. When x= 1,2,3.... What does y = ?
Plot the points and you should be able to recognise them.

Original post by BakedPotatoast
Try http://www.examsolutions.net/ and go to the respective module pages. Such as FP2 revision page, C4 revision page. It's very good for revising all topics actually so try it out :smile:
Hi,
6) Some combined functions like: sin x / x, sin x / x^2, logx X sin x, sin(x^2), ln (x^2 + 2), product of functions (x sin x), sum of functions (sin x + cos x) etc.

I am comfortable with first (extrimas) and second (concavities and points of inflection) derivatives.

Much appreciations.

I used last year @TeeEm curve sketching book but I cannot locate it in his site at the moment
Original post by ODES_PDES
I used last year @TeeEm curve sketching book but I cannot locate it in his site at the moment

Thank you so much. Just looked at his site and found this one: http://madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/further_topics/various/curve_sketching.pdf

Is this the one you are talking about?
Thank you so much. Just looked at his site and found this one: http://madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/further_topics/various/curve_sketching.pdf

Is this the one you are talking about?

My computer is **** and it cannot open the file (it times out) but the one I am referring to has loads of sketches at least 50, loads of modulus at the end.
Original post by ODES_PDES
My computer is **** and it cannot open the file (it times out) but the one I am referring to has loads of sketches at least 50, loads of modulus at the end.

Yes, this has 87 sketches and some modulus inequalities at the end.

Quick Reply

Latest