The Student Room Group

My GCSE Summer Bucket List

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Pre Finding Dory Premiere Hype
I watched finding Nemo today and I honestly haven't watched it in so long it was like watching a new movie! I'm like Dory in that scene where she she forgets Marlin and then everything they did suddenly comes flooding back! I knew the plot but it was only when I re-watched it that I was able to remember what was coming next!
I hadn't noticed all the subtle little things they say in Finding Nemo that probably go right over children's heads, but being a tad more grown up, I can understand them contextually too such as the recovery program those sharks were running or the onomatopoeic sound the one of the tanked fish makes when one of the fish exclaims "we are swimming in our own - " and is cut off by the shh sound. I hadn't even noticed these little things before and this is probably the reason why my parents have always been more interested in watching pixar animations than the original Walt Disney movies. I'm glad they went to the trouble to try and engage parents as I personally find it more fun if you have adults who are taking a genuine interest in what you are watching.
I can't wait to see Finding Dory and I hope I can still be counted as one of the cool kids who have been waiting since 2003/4 for the sequel.

But as a swimmer "Just keep swimming" Is my life motto so I win.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 41

Yesterday I was busy, busy, busy doing multiple things on my bucket list.

One of them was Pig Hunting!

Basically "Pig Hunting", was made up by this charity to raise awareness for their hospice, they placed 39 pigs around the town I live in and made a map for people to use to find all the pigs. By finding each pig, you collect letters and enter into their prize draw (to win some mysterious prize) but it's also a good excuse to explore the area around me more. I hit two birds with one stone, I went with my friends on bikes (but I intend to make a more devoted post at a later point to my adventures) and found a good few pigs! These are some of the pigs in question. They get artists to come and design them and I think in September they're going to take them down and auction them off (my dad has already considered buying the Ed Sheeran lookalike). It was like doing our own mini expedition with our little map and our bikes to go and find all these cute pigs.
^ Ed Sheerham ^

It was really really hot yesterday and where I live there are really not that many hills but suddenly there were hills everywhere either that or I have very little stamina for slightest slopes. Also we had to find two in a park where you couldn't ride your bikes so we took a break in their before hunting for them. It was a really nice view and it was also very interesting as every person who walked past was looking at their phones playing Pokemon Go. (The monument in our park is a poke-stop)

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 42

This movie was the BEST.:clap2: I am definitely getting it when it comes out on DVD, it was amazing.:woo: There were so many funny bits and I have never laughed so hard at a film in my life. The voice actor for the younger dory was really good, I loved the way they talked! it was adorable. Again there were many adult jokes thrown in that you wouldn't notice unless...well you're an adult. Haha one of my favourite lines was "holy carp" and my favourite character is the Beluga Whale Bailey with his echolocation technique "ooooooooooooooh" It was hilarious :laugh:
I have to admit though when they started playing a scene from Finding Nemo (music and all) I was worried they were literally going to recount the whole of Finding Nemo (fortunately they played just the right amount to not annoy us Nemo Fans but also so we could see where it fitted into Dory's Story) The audience was packed with people of all ages and all of us die-hard Nemo fans (about 10 of us) stayed until right after the credits to see the cut-scene of the fish from the dentist's tank in the first movie... I won't spoil it but if you do go and see the movie, do stay until after the credits. It'll be worth it!
The cute short film before the movie was fantastic as well, you instantly got drawn into the life of this adorable little seabird and I don't know if it was because it was a cute little bird or it's actions or the music or what but it really was a touching little film.
Reply 43
After a long year of scribbling and revising on my revamped desk (it used to be an old wooden computer desk) I thought it would be nice to repaint my surface a different colour to the rest of the body. As I didn't think the paint I had used was terribly durable on the surface

The paint was like ridiculously expensive in comparison to the other paints :nooo: even the tester pots where ridiculously expensive for what they were! :cry2: So I basically had to jump into the deep end and pick a colour :plz2: I wasn't terribly prepared for it either I just laid down a sheet and started spreading the paint on the top. I did two coats and I have to say I am super proud of the finish. ( I don't know if I was supposed to prime it or anything lol) The paint didn't smell either or stain my clothing so I guess it was worth the money. :clap2:
Reply 44

Swimming Assistance Teaching Course Diary:

Day 1
Day 2
Day 3
Day 4
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 45

Day 1:This was so full on. Basically the course if taught via lectures on theory and practical pool work, which is a mixture of interesting and informative. I definitely enjoyed the first day but it was a lot of concentrating considering the course is full on 9-5 which I am not use at all!

We did some pool work practicing how to correctly hold young swimmers (there's lots of safe guarding issues around swimming for obvious reasons) which was incredibly useful as we were shown the incorrect methods as well as the correct methods and were explained the reasons why we don't hold children in certain ways (despite not appearing problematic) We got to practice holds with the other trainees on the course so we weren't jumping straight into the deep end of teaching young children.

We were also given talks about equity and diversity, appropriate dress codes and how to support children who need additional help.

The group is all girls where most of them are either 16 - 19 but I was definitely one of the youngest trainee teachers there. Most of them are very nice but if I'm honest I do get along better with guys so the catty attitude us girls can have does get on my nerves a bit lol.
(edited 7 years ago)
meh i thought it was obvious that all swimming teachers wore a T-shirt over their swimming costume
Reply 47
Original post by shawn_o1
meh i thought it was obvious that all swimming teachers wore a T-shirt over their swimming costume

:laugh: Yeah I thought it was pretty obvious too tbh but you have to wear shorts too and some of the girls there don't seem to understand that by "shorts" they mean actually covering their bums :ahhhhh:
Reply 48

Day 2
Today we got to practice teaching each other which was funny as we basically had to revert back to little kids who don't know how to swim. The activities were really funny (we had to pretend to be various animals swimming across the pool) But it helped us to try and work with the problems you can encounter whilst teaching swimming (like being incredibly nervous)

The theory side of it was the actual strokes so that was interesting but most of us knew it all anyway It was really tiring too but I still enjoyed it (but I'm half way now woooo )
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 49

Day 3
There was a lot of drama today in my class which was very amusing to watch! Also we got to help teach actual classes which was really interesting.

But on to the drama. Basically if our class was a representation of a whole school then 4/10 of us would make up the "popular girls" (lol and I am not one of them) not to enforce a stereotype, but they are quite rude and aren't really paying attention to the theory side of the course. But one of them managed to cross the line with our instructor today, she was messing around in the water a lot and wasn't listening to the practicals we were being set by the instructor, so she got told to get out and get changed which caused an uproar amongst the other trainees because she supposedly wasn't doing anything wrong when she got sent out. But if they looked at the bigger picture (which one of the older mums in the group picked up on also) it was lots of things she was doing wrong. At that point the instructor had run out of patience for their behavior and if anything discipline was needed and used appropriately. So she now hates the teacher and wants to complain to the company running the course.

Then in feedback this one girl was told by the instructor that she was aggressive and she was taking this very personally. From my point of view I think the instructor was exactly right though, her general facial expression was pretty grumpy but she has a lot of attitude as well (I thought from day 1 that she didn't seem like she'd make a terribly good teacher) She's just constantly very angry and confrontational about everything I tried to say or explain to her about (I have to work with her in the pool a lot) so now she hates the instructor and intend to complain to the company.

Then some of the other trainees don't like the fact that they aren't allowed to kneel down on the side of the pool to speak to a swimmer. (Like this isn't even the instructors fault that's a rule from the ASA that they can't change) and are annoyed that when they argued back to the instructor they were told that it is so you can see all the swimmers at all times (they believe that they can see the swimmers from the crouch position anyway) the short of it is that if they do crouch and a child does get injured then the teacher won't be supported by the ASA if it goes to court etc. but you can be failed on the course if you do it a lot. So at least 6 of them now hate the teacher because of petty things like this.

Also my friend was one of the Level 2 Teachers we were assisting today and a lot of the trainees didn't like the fact she was guiding them so much during the lessons (which was what she was told to do BY the instructor as a part of her own training)

I'm glad there's only one more day 'cus I swear I am so close to losing it with these little witches :angry:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 50

Day 4
Last Day of the course (woo)

And I passed! (yaaaay) We did some more teaching and I got to lead a warm up and some classes (I'm definitely feeling much more confident in what I'm teaching which is nice) The only lecture we had today was in the common faults and corrections of strokes then we had individual feedback and were told if we passed or failed (but we won't really know for definite for another 4 weeks) I went first because once you had your feedback you were allowed to leave. (and I was desperate to get out of there by this point)

But when I was picked up my Mum had got me some flowers that I'd asked for to give to the instructor as she had done a really good job. She's a very experienced, knowledgeable teacher. Which I was fine with giving her flowers but it was a bit awkward as to go and give them to the instructor I was going to have to walk back through the room full of trainees who were currently filling in complaint forms against her. Thankfully the ones who did see what I was doing were the nicer more understanding students. Besides unlike most of the trainees I do intend to come back for level 2 next year and because the instructor is the only one in our county and the surrounding four,, I think it's going to cost them a hell of a lot more to avoid her as an instructor. travel wise.

But anyway that's my course done. Now to write my CV and get a job....
Reply 51
My rather pathetic attempt to play Pokemon Go... Ok I was playing it on a boat but it was still pretty funny
Looking forward to "Pokémon GO Plus"?
Reply 53
Looking forward to "Pokémon GO Plus"?

I think they should make something similar for the 3DS but they'd need physical items placed around the world so I guess it'd be more expensive than the one they're making for phones XD
Original post by LiiHyde
I think they should make something similar for the 3DS but they'd need physical items placed around the world so I guess it'd be more expensive than the one they're making for phones XD

3DS is into its fifth year of marketing and doesn't have a location sensor so would be unable to incorporate "Pokéstops". The best that 3DS has is StreetPass which allows two 3DS's near each other to exchange game data - or, a 3DS would pass a "relay point" and receive game data from there (relay points being supported wi-fi access points; currently only "O2 Wifi" access points are relay points)

Anyway, Go Plus is just a little add-on allowing users to be notified whenever they are near a Pokéstop so they don't have to stare at their phones while walking. Nice to know that Niantic are listening to customer feedback :smile: Disappointing that it isn't incorporating the other species "yet".
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 55
3DS is into its fifth year of marketing and doesn't have a location sensor so would be unable to incorporate "Pokéstops". The best that 3DS has is StreetPass which allows two 3DS's near each other to exchange game data - or, a 3DS would pass a "relay point" and receive game data from there (relay points being supported wi-fi access points; currently only "O2 Wifi" access points are relay points)

Anyway, Go Plus is just a little add-on allowing users to be notified whenever they are near a Pokéstop so they don't have to stare at their phones while walking. Nice to know that Niantic are listening to customer feedback :smile: Disappointing that it isn't incorporating the other species "yet".

Well I won't argue with you there :h: you clearly know your stuff. I'm impressed.
Reply 56

I have officially finished my chemistry homework woooo! :woo:

I'm going crazy golfing later to celebrate :P
Reply 57

Last night I went crazy golfing! It was so good! There were lots of people there, so the wait for each hole was a bit long, but I haven't seen my friend who I went with since the last exam (which was donkeys years ago!) We're super close as well (practically brother and sister, we look so related that we got away with getting a family photo at our school wahaha! ) so we had a lot to catch up on. (Such as his new girlfriend lol).

The course was based on dinosaurs and they've put soooo much effort into making, it look completely amazing, it was ALMOST worth the £8 each we paid to get in. I'm so broke now lmao. It was 18 holes so it took us just over an hour to get round probably and we kept having to stop as i was constantly dropping the pencil used to mark the score card. However we did over take 2 small tribes (family groups) as there was only 2 of us versus 10 of them.

There are some really cool features on the course firstly to get across to the course you have to use a funny rope-pulley system to cross this little stream and then as you can see in the photo above there was a volcano that you could putt the ball through and would smoke out steam it was so cute i loved it :3

Me and my bro are super competitive (gotta love a bit of sibling rivalry) so winning was very important. I lost. I went round in 53 and my bro got round in 50. It was very close. Like I said it was quite competitive.

The score card had a cute little stamp section so you could collect stamps as you go round to get prizes (a leetle plastic medal) and we had the bright idea of adding more players to the card to get more medals (which you can see for obvious reasons they didn't give us any extras)
Reply 58

It was the last year that my town is going to do the sky ride this year sad times. So I absolutely HAD to do it I was super busy that day actually because I had done a car boot sale in the morning and then had to rush home to go and do the sky ride (I will make a separate post for that)

The weather was soooo nice and because it was later on in the day the roads were less crowded so it was easier to get around at a good speed. The route went all over town too and there weren't many hills (except one really bad bit but other than that it was all downhill so you could go really fast) I saw bits of the town I didn't know existed AND I saw more pigs so it was a win win :smile: The organizers managed to get part of the route to go through the football stadium too which was really cool it was super echoey and everyone was ringing bells and cheering as they went through so it was all very exciting (I think we have a very good football team) Sadly I didn't get to take any pictures because I was cycling the whole time so I just found some nice ones from google (oooh im such a cheater >.<)

Yo Lii I'm really happy for you I'ma let you finish but ___ had one of the best Summer Bucket Lists of all time!

Quick Reply

Latest