The Student Room Group

Can I do a masters with my 2.2?

I have 660 UCAS points from A-levels and a 2.2 hons in mathematics from Durham University (experienced some mitigating circumstances too)

My dream is to study a philosophy masters, i.e. an MA. I did do a final year dissertation on 'Mathematical Art' which got a first

My question is, can I get onto a philosophy MA with my 2.2 in mathematics?

Also, if this is possible, would unis like Bristol or Southampton be off the cards?

I would also love to study in London, so what about UCL, King's, Goldsmiths etc?

Thanks
What is 660 UCAS equal to?
Original post by number23
I have 660 UCAS points from A-levels and a 2.2 hons in mathematics from Durham University (experienced some mitigating circumstances too)

My dream is to study a philosophy masters, i.e. an MA. I did do a final year dissertation on 'Mathematical Art' which got a first

My question is, can I get onto a philosophy MA with my 2.2 in mathematics?

Also, if this is possible, would unis like Bristol or Southampton be off the cards?

I would also love to study in London, so what about UCL, King's, Goldsmiths etc?

Thanks

Is here anything stopping you looking at their websites or contacting these limited number of universities to look at at entry criteria? If you were close, then some of them will accpet a 2:2 , but others will not. If you dont feel the website explains it then you should contact admissions direct making the points you have stressed here.
Some phd programmes accept a 2:2, so could that be an option? If there are phd courses, that are more advanced than a masters accepting a 2:2, there should be masters programmes with similar requirements. As 999tiger said, look around and contact unis.
Reply 4
Original post by Stegosaurus99
What is 660 UCAS equal to?

This consists of 3A* A at A-level and 2 A at AS-level

Also, one of the AS's was in philosophy and ethics and I achieved 98% in the philosophy component.

So I did very good at school and then below average at uni
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
Is here anything stopping you looking at their websites or contacting these limited number of universities to look at at entry criteria? If you were close, then some of them will accpet a 2:2 , but others will not. If you dont feel the website explains it then you should contact admissions direct making the points you have stressed here.

I have already looked. Most say 2.1 although some say something like "other routes may be accepted" or "usually a 2.1"

Im not sure if I am wasting my time applying and I was wondering if people had first hand experience in similar situations

Also another reason I created this thread is to know if mathematics is an acceptable route to a Philosophy MA
Original post by number23
I have already looked. Most say 2.1 although some say something like "other routes may be accepted" or "usually a 2.1"

Im not sure if I am wasting my time applying and I was wondering if people had first hand experience in similar situations

Also another reason I created this thread is to know if mathematics is an acceptable route to a Philosophy MA

You are then just really better off talking to admissions or better still the specific person in charge of the course. Only they can tell you. If you do that then you know whether to apply or not and it has more credibility than anyone here can tell you. Not a fob off im just suggesting the quickets way to find a relaible and specific answer you need. Some of the top inos you mentioned will be very competitive, so if they say high 2:1 they mean it.
Reply 7
Some universities accept 2.2's. Most notably of the more prestigious Universities, the University of Kent seems more than happy to accept 2.2's.
(edited 7 years ago)
All these types of query ('I studied at X and got a Y-class degree in Z, can I study A at B university?) are best answered by contacting the course or general admissions team at the prospective university. You'll get a much faster response, from someone who's job it is to know the correct answer. There aren't (m)any people on TSR who can answer all these questions, and there's no guarantee any answer you get here will actually be correct.

Good luck if you do apply, but make sure you have a back-up plan as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending