The Student Room Group

Bad UCAS reference question

I asked one of my teachers for a reference and she showed it to me this morning. It is honest, but it is crap with quite a few bad points mentioned. My question is: is it too late and do I need to use this reference in my ucas application or can I just choose to not have it shown? Thanks

PS I am applying for 2017 entry
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

bump
Reply 2
You can't choose to not have it shown, a reference is required for a UCAS application. I suggest talking to the teacher about it. What do you mean 'bad points'?

Edit: also not too late. If you're applying for the 2017 cycle you have until October for medicine, oxbridge etc and then January for other courses.

@SalazarSlytherin
(edited 7 years ago)
Why has your teacher shown you your reference? The whole point of a reference is that it's private. It seems rather odd that your teacher has written your reference before your AS exam results are out and before the 2017 cycle has even begun. It isn't uncommon for teachers not to know how to write a proper reference, find a way of showing them this: https://www.ucas.com/advisers/references/how-write-ucas-undergraduate-references
Reply 4
It depends why it's bad. If it's bad because it's all true then you'll have to put up with it - but make sure your good points are mentioned too. If it's misleading or wrong then ask for it to be corrected.

Someone will tell you that giving a bad reference is illegal, but that's not true.
Original post by Juno
It depends why it's bad. If it's bad because it's all true then you'll have to put up with it - but make sure your good points are mentioned too. If it's misleading or wrong then ask for it to be corrected.

Someone will tell you that giving a bad reference is illegal, but that's not true.

It is honest yes but there are a few bad points e.g. saying i struggle when actcually i just didnt care in class and worked at home and will probably get an A in tbe subject. Also the refence mentions 16% attendence which is true but arent they meant to highlight the good points?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by SalazarSlytherin
It is honest yes but there are a few bad points e.g. saying i struggle when actcually i just didnt care in class and worked at home and will probably get an A in tbe subject. Also the refence mentions 16% attendence which is true but arent they meant to highlight the good points?

16% attendance? Less than 1 day a week?

And no a reference doesn't have to only highlight good points.

But back to @Snufkin's question: why are you getting it so early?
Original post by jneill
16% attendance? Less than 1 day a week?

And no a reference doesn't have to only highlight good points.

But back to @Snufkin's question: why are you getting it so early?

I don't know why I am getting it early, I don't know how ucas references work. Can I just ask the teacher or head of 6th form to just not submit it?
Reply 8
Original post by SalazarSlytherin
I don't know why I am getting it early, I don't know how ucas references work. Can I just ask the teacher or head of 6th form to just not submit it?

Ask them to wait until closer to the application deadline. And in that time demonstrate to them that you are doing better and merit a better reference.

Are you in the UK?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Ask them to wait until closer to the application deadline. And in that time demonstrate to them that you are doing better and merit a better reference.

Are you in the UK?

OK thanks Ill do that.

And yes I am in the UK
16% attendance and you're complaining about a bad reference? My sides.
This is a very common time for references to be written by teachers, so that the bulk of the work is done by September, when the new term starts, and it is ready to go as soon as UCAS opens, should there be people who are keen to get on with their applications straight away. It only requires a few sentences to update it after the AS results are in. It is also very common for references to be shown to applicants.

To be honest, saying that the OP struggles in a subject is less likely to damage their application than telling the truth about them not being arsed to do any work. How do you think that looks to an admissions tutor?
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
This is a very common time for references to be written by teachers, so that the bulk of the work is done by September, when the new term starts, and it is ready to go as soon as UCAS opens, should there be people who are keen to get on with their applications straight away. It only requires a few sentences to update it after the AS results are in. It is also very common for references to be shown to applicants.

To be honest, saying that the OP struggles in a subject is less likely to damage their application than telling the truth about them not being arsed to do any work. How do you think that looks to an admissions tutor?

Agreed. Sounds like the OP got off pretty lightly.
Reply 13

Good point. Report writing season...

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is also very common for references to be shown to applicants.

Really? That seems quite unfair. My teacher wouldn't even discuss it, let alone show me!
Original post by Snufkin
Really? That seems quite unfair. My teacher wouldn't even discuss it, let alone show me!

In what way is it unfair? There are freedom of information issues about what can be held on pupils in schools without their knowledge, although it wasn't my job to have to remember what they are. Showing the reference does not mean changing it to suit the applicant's wishes. It helps them to be aware of what support the rest of their application is getting to apply to particular courses.
Original post by jneill
Good point. Report writing season...

Posted from TSR Mobile

This. There is more slack in the system once year 11 and 13 have left, although that means everyone rushes to cram their exciting new hobby horses into this abundance of free time, with the result that work expands to fill the time available, plus half an hour.
Original post by 34908seikj
16% attendance and you're complaining about a bad reference? My sides.

Some ppl are very good at self-teaching. My friend self taught most of his A-level material in year 12 and got a 95+% average in most things. He's on track to get straight A*s this year while only going in for Physics practicals and Further Maths applied lessons.
In what way is it unfair? There are freedom of information issues about what can be held on pupils in schools without their knowledge, although it wasn't my job to have to remember what they are. Showing the reference does not mean changing it to suit the applicant's wishes. It helps them to be aware of what support the rest of their application is getting to apply to particular courses.

Students could ask for changes or exert pressure in other more subtle ways to try and force a change if they didn't like what was written. I'm sure that wouldn't influence most teachers, but there's always the chance that some will change what they said for an easier life. I can't see any reason to show an applicant their reference before it has been submitted.
Original post by Snufkin
Students could ask for changes or exert pressure in other more subtle ways to try and force a change if they didn't like what was written. I'm sure that wouldn't influence most teachers, but there's always the chance that some will change what they said for an easier life. I can't see any reason to show an applicant their reference before it has been submitted.

In the OPs case my hunch is that the reason is to put the fear of god into them to get them to turn up to lessons in future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending