The Student Room Group

Moving into IT/Technology without a Computer Science/Computing Experienced Graduate

Hello all,

I have strong desire to pursue a career change in IT having held several roles in my industry over 4 years aftee graduating with a 1st in chemistry from a redbrick university. I feel i am not challenged in the environment i work in, i am overqualified and role is too hands-on for a graduate which has bought so munch frustration. I have tried the route of getting some certifications in a few areas including SQL and programming with VBA in excel to ideally become an analyst wheather it is in Data/pricing/Finance but would consider other options in the field.

I am strongly considering a conversion course in computer science to give a new start and insight in the field. Are there any other options you guys can suggest without potentially doing the masters.

I look forward to your responses
i'm pretty sure you don't have to be a compsci graduate to do an IT graduate scheme
Reply 2
Original post by shawn_o1
i'm pretty sure you don't have to be a compsci graduate to do an IT graduate scheme

Having graduated in 2010 I believe I am not classed as graduate anymore unfortunately. Then again it depends on the requirements of the scheme but that is to be the most competitive route.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Sorry guys. The title was meant to say Moving into IT/Technology without a Computer Science/Computing Experienced Graduate.
I think it's all about attitude but also showing an interest and willingness to learn.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
IT and computer science is a section that cares more about the experience than qualifications. Obviously, while you get the qualification you get experience but you don't specifically need one. Instead you need to build up your experience. Post any little projects you do, for yourself or others, on GitHub. Make sure your LinkedIn profile is up to scratch. Try doing one off freelancing projects to get the experience and build up your CV. You can even try volunteering when you have the time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending