The Student Room Group

Reformed A levels and self study

Hello,

I am currently studying Accounting level 4 at college but I do not wish to continue onto my Bachelors Degree, but instead study Computer Science at a University, which most require an A level in Maths.

I am looking to self study the Maths A level but with the incoming A level reforms how can I stay under the old standard? I have read the changes do not come in until 2017 for Maths so if I sit an exam before then will I stay under the old standard?

I have studied A levels before at school but I only completed one that being Financial Studies; as I left to study Accounting. That was about 3 years ago.

As I would like to complete my A level quickly (Within a year) the new standards seem to force you to take two years.
(edited 7 years ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by Skinnar
Hello,

I am currently studying Accounting level 4 at college but I do not wish to continue onto my Bachelors Degree, but instead study Computer Science at a University, which most require an A level in Maths.

I am looking to self study the Maths A level but with the incoming A level reforms how can I stay under the old standard? I have read the changes do not come in until 2017 for Maths so if I sit an exam before then will I stay under the old standard?

I have studied A levels before at school but I only completed one that being Financial Studies; as I left to study Accounting. That was about 3 years ago.

As I would like to complete my A level quickly (Within a year) the new standards seem to force you to take two years.

It's possible to study the whole A-level Maths (AS and A2) under the current spec in one year but it'll be a hell of a lot of work. You will have 6 modules/exams to sit in one exam period which will mean your Maths will have to be up-to-scratch. I self-taught AS-level Maths this year and heard that everyone struggled with the Core 1 exam (Edexcel) so just to warn you it is a very difficult A-level!

Is your Accounting Level 4 with AAT by the way?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Skinnar
Hello,

It will be possible to take the existing A level maths exams in summer 2018 and if necessary resit in summer 2019.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest