The Student Room Group

Studying at UVM Kosice this September (2016)

Hi, apologies if there is already a discussion on this topic but I have been in contact with UVM Kosice who have invited me to officially apply for their 4 year vet med course. Providing I send off all correct documents I have a place.
Is there anybody else on here due to start this September? It would be great to get to know people beforehand.
Also, I just read on another thread that this uni is no longer eaeve approved. What does this mean for me in terms of returning to the UK to work when I finish my course?
Thank you
Original post by HanReyn
Hi, apologies if there is already a discussion on this topic but I have been in contact with UVM Kosice who have invited me to officially apply for their 4 year vet med course. Providing I send off all correct documents I have a place.
Is there anybody else on here due to start this September? It would be great to get to know people beforehand.
Also, I just read on another thread that this uni is no longer eaeve approved. What does this mean for me in terms of returning to the UK to work when I finish my course?
Thank you

Congrats! I was planning to go to Kosice but got accepted to UCD so my plans have changed. Originally the EAEVE thing didn't mean much, because by European law all EU countries must accept degrees from other EU countries regardless. However if Brexit goes ahead the RCVS who register practising vets for the UK will no longer be bound to accept all EU grads. They released a statement saying they may use another accreditation system (maybe EAEVE) to decide if a vet from an EU school can register to work in the UK or they may require all EU grads to sit board exams. So if brexit goes ahead you really may be safer going with Budapest, who are accredited or it may not matter if they require all EU grads to sit boards anyway. Which sucks as when I was doing my research Kosice
seemed like a better place to study for me over Budapest. Even with UCD in Dublin I'm not sure what will happen but I doubt they would require Irish grads to sit boards for working in the UK, that seems insane to me.
Reply 2
Hey, congratulations on the offer - there is a UVM Freshers 2016 Facebook group you may wish to join.

It sucks that we lost accreditation but we knew it would happen due to the timing of the visit. If you've visited campus you'll see building works are just finishing ready for the new Clinic of Ruminants and Small Animal Hospital to open in September. The things we failed on were easy to fix so we're hoping for a re-visitation next year.

Really EAEVE accreditation means nothing with regards to registering, it just makes the university look better. This years graduates registered with the RCVS yesterday and had no problems, the accreditation wasn't even mentioned, and they have all got jobs which speaks volumes.

I'm just finishing 4th year here and had the same concerns so emailed the RCVS who said:
"EAEVE accreditation has never been a factor in whether or not we were required under EU and UK legislation to recognise approved EU qualifications from EU vet schools. We had to recognise them if held by EU nationals or EU rights entitled persons regardless of whether or not they were EAEVE accredited.

Following the UK referendum decision it’s business as usual for the time being. We understand that the negotiations to leave the EU could take up to two years. In the event that by the time you graduate the RCVS no longer recognises EU primary veterinary qualifications then your route to RCVS registration would be the same as that for anyone holding a degree that is not recognised by the RCVS, the Statutory Membership Examination"
Reply 3
Thank you both for the information, it has put my mind at ease a little. I have also emailed RCVS and am awaiting a reply.

Do you know if that is the exact name of the freshers group on Facebook? I searched for it but couldn't find anything.

Also, as you are in 4th year already would you mind if I ask you a few questions? If it's easier we can speak via email
Reply 4
You should be able to click this link

Yeah feel free to message me on here or Facebook :smile:
Reply 5
Thank you 😊

Do most students stay in uni accommodation for the first year? And do you know any rough prices at all?

And also what's the nearest airport to the uni?
Reply 6
Yeah most of us stay in dorms. It's basic but the rooms are big (Slovaks share, we get individual), we're allowed to decorate and can keep the same room for all 4 or 6 years. It's €120 a month and half rent (€60) over Christmas and Summer.

Kosice has an airport that Wizz Air fly to from London Luton, Bristol and Sheffield Doncaster. If you book early flights you can get flights for less than £10 but it's obviously more expensive around Christmas and summer.
Poprad isn't too far on the train and lots of companies offer transfers from Budapest and Krakow.
Hello HanReyn,
I live in Košice, so if you need any help do not hesitate to contact me :smile: Košice is really student city (4 universities) and people are friendly and open. Plenty of things to do, including my Inspirational meetups I organise for international student :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending