Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is this something I should write to my local MP about?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    I've never written to an MP and I'm not sure if they are the appropriate person to approach about this issue, but either way, it has really annoyed me and I feel like I need to do something about it but I don't know who I need to contact?

    Basically, I live in a very populated area with practically no green space. The nearest park is a 30 min bus ride away. However, there is a 'field' which was created when a load of council homes were bulldozed about 5 years ago. At first it was covered in rubble and glass - a mess. Gradually it was cleaned and grass began to grow and the council even planted little trees on it and put permanent benches on it. I'm no botany expert but a couple of years ago, beautiful 'wild' flowers were growing in places on this field - in an orderly way as if they'd be cultivated on purpose. All in all, it looked a damn sight better and it was great to see young children using the space for sports/playing and locals exercising their dogs there.

    I went away and came back this week after 6 months. Last time it was looking okay - maintained. Today it's overgrown - you can barely see the benches. It's very tall grass - like the way wheat fields look - and I ventured into it (not too far) and it is covered in litter - crisp packets etc. It just looks horrendous and no one can use it now. The first thing bothering me is the lack of care for the space and letting it overgrow and the second thing is people throwing rubbish into it now. So one is directly the council's fault and the other is a social issue.

    Who do I contact about it? I tried googling the area which search terms about the field/green-space but nothing comes up. It's really bothering me because it's like the council/city doesn't care about how it looks or about how useful it was to local people.

    Something like this would normally be a council matter rather than an MP matter, so in theory you'd be better off contacting your local councillor. Your MP might be able to put some pressure on them though to sort it out, which may well be needed here (if they've neglected the park, what's the chances of them not neglecting their inbox?). So maybe drop an email to both and see what happens.

    I would recommend writing to the council about this first, look on your counties/local councils website and they should have a place you can contact them. If they don't reply or take too long, then you could write to your local MP, who will in turn, most likely pass it back to the council.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.