The Student Room Group

Is it really just me who finds most jobs boring?

Scroll to see replies

A job is at its core about repetition, it is designed to be boring. Do you think the super star models and musicians you see on tv just got to that level by pure talent? No. They repeatedly did things that others don't have the time nor patience for that eventually got them to the point of where they are.

You just have to find the type of repetition that sucks the least and pays out (be that in money, satisfaction etc) in a manner that you would deem worth it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
A job is at its core about repetition, it is designed to be boring. Do you think the super star models and musicians you see on tv just got to that level by pure talent? No. They repeatedly did things that others don't have the time nor patience for that eventually got them to the point of where they are.

You just have to find the type of repetition that sucks the least and pays out (be that in money, satisfaction etc) in a manner that you would deem worth it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hm, what I find interesting is the huge disparity between the pay of a celebrity and the average person in the uk. . . I've recently kinda accepted that that level of pay is pretty much unattainable , and maybe even pointless in pursuing.. Which leads me to think I should do something that I gain inner satisfaction for , which is learning and thus maybe being paid £40-50k for something like research/lecturing would fulfill me financially
Original post by duncanjgraham
Hm, what I find interesting is the huge disparity between the pay of a celebrity and the average person in the uk. . . I've recently kinda accepted that that level of pay is pretty much unattainable , and maybe even pointless in pursuing.. Which leads me to think I should do something that I gain inner satisfaction for , which is learning and thus maybe being paid £40-50k for something like research/lecturing would fulfill me financially

You can't really look at celebrities the same way as people who perform tasks and use certain skills. The reason they get paid so much is because they've crafted a 'brand' around themselves - they are physically a business not a worker. I guess you could argue that talent does play a part but mostly it's down to luck.

The average actor out there doesn't have the same brand as Robert Downey Jr or Natalie Portman - they didn't get the same breaks or know the same people who could leverage access to cash and customers to build their brands. Footballers also do this, they leverage 'Chelsea' and 'Chelsea supporters' who are willing to pay a LOT of money to support their favourite team and companies that are willing to pay even more to get access to these supporters

If you want a shot at making something similar, the only way is to make your own brand or company. That or get into a high income velocity job (i.e. finance, corporate law etc).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ALittleLost25
I've looked into so many career paths, and they all sound incredibly boring.
Some examples:

Software engineer: The thought of spending all day looking at code bores me to tears. High stress, not all that rewarding. Being sat in front of a screen all day is not my idea of a good job.

Accounting: I hate numbers, to do it as a career sounds like hell.

Design/Mechanical engineering: Using CAD, working with gears/machinery doesnt appeal. Pay would be good but to do it long term i wouldnt enjoy at all.

Mechanic: I love working on my own car and motorcycle, its rewarding servicing it and therefore saving money. But to do it for someone else all day every day, with a manager trying to get me to rip off customers. Working in the cold during winter....what initially sounds like a fun job, then sounds like a terrible job with pretty low salary.

Is it just a case of picking your poison and running with it? Do any of you actually LOVE your job or love the career you are studying to get?

Well not really...
I'm a person who just gets on with whatever infront of me and I'm going to do software engineering, it depends on how you get to it and do it. Your future ambitions and background.
Original post by Princepieman
You can't really look at celebrities the same way as people who perform tasks and use certain skills. The reason they get paid so much is because they've crafted a 'brand' around themselves - they are physically a business not a worker. I guess you could argue that talent does play a part but mostly it's down to luck.

The average actor out there doesn't have the same brand as Robert Downey Jr or Natalie Portman - they didn't get the same breaks or know the same people who could leverage access to cash and customers to build their brands. Footballers also do this, they leverage 'Chelsea' and 'Chelsea supporters' who are willing to pay a LOT of money to support their favourite team and companies that are willing to pay even more to get access to these supporters

If you want a shot at making something similar, the only way is to make your own brand or company. That are get into a high income velocity job (i.e. finance, corporate law etc).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with all that you've said

I know LOADS of people going into finance, but I really don't like the idea of it. It seems a bit of a theme that having extremely wealthy parents kinda distorts the children's views of the world and their drive to succeed themselves.

What are you hoping to do? I'm about to start an engineering degree so am keeping my options open :tongue:
Original post by duncanjgraham
I agree with all that you've said

I know LOADS of people going into finance, but I really don't like the idea of it. It seems a bit of a theme that having extremely wealthy parents kinda distorts the children's views of the world and their drive to succeed themselves.

What are you hoping to do? I'm about to start an engineering degree so am keeping my options open :tongue:

Finance myself (specifically investment banking focusing on tech companies or IB first then private equity/venture capital investing), then maybe start my own high growth tech company one day with enough savings.*

Yeah you're right that wealthy kids tend to be more unafraid of consequences and unaware of the odds stacked against them but tbh, I guess that attitude helps in the long run.

Nice man, Maths/CompSci here. Engineering's pretty solid (my dad was an engineer, had a very good career in oil and gas), good thing about it is that you have a backup if the other options generally open to most general academic degree grads somehow fall through. Good luck finding a route to take dude!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending