Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My dad marrying his girlfriend who I've never met

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

Hi, my dad broke off his marriage to my mom after 20 years and the divorce was messy. He cheated on my mom and my mom, sister and I were upset about him just walking out of the family. He cheated on my mom with his now girlfriend (15 years younger, 35) and told me he wanted to marry her. I know he will have another child with the girlfriend but i've never met her nor do I want to. I feel upset that he wants to do this just 2 months after finalizing the divorce with my mom. My mom does not know this but my sister and I do.

What are your thoughts on this situation?

I am sorry that no one has responded and I am really sorry your family is having to go through this
    horrible situation. Sadly, I can't give you advice. Parents are human and make mistakes. If he marries his girlfriend you are going to have to decide what kind of relationship you want to have with him moving forward. No matter what though you are caught up in a sad and hurtful situation and you are going to, understandably, protect your mom and the 'original' family. If possible I think you should seek professional counseling and encourage your mom to do the same. She has been wronged and hurt and having to navigate a whole new life. I don't know how old you are but I imagine you are old enough to decide what works best for you as far as going to your father and spending time with him and his 'friend'. Nobody here can advise you other than to say your situation is sad and unfortunate but I also imagine others on here have dealt with this issue. Family's handle it differently with children eventually accepting the new marriage of their parent (even it that person entered before the parents divorce - cheating) and build good relationships and then there are kids who never speak to the parent again. You have to do what your heart tells you and no matter what you choose it will be a hard decision for you..... but it will be the right decision for you. Again, if possible seek
    counseling. Wishing you the best and hoping for peace for you. Good Luck.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do you wear to bed?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.