The Student Room Group

Getting into Marketing with a History degree??

Hi, I was just wondering does a history degree put you as a disadvantage when getting a job in Marketing compared to those who have Business/Marketing degrees??
Reply 1
I'm not being helpful at all but would also like to know this since I'm studying psychology.
Original post by nicolecampos
Hi, I was just wondering does a history degree put you as a disadvantage when getting a job in Marketing compared to those who have Business/Marketing degrees??

Original post by grl9096
I'm not being helpful at all but would also like to know this since I'm studying psychology.

Well, it's not going to be an advantage, is it? Put yourself in the position of an employer comparing two CVs - one person has a history (or psychology) degree, the other has a degree in business or marketing. All other things being equal, which person is going to be in prime position? Clearly the business graduate. However, if you can make other factors go in your favour you might stand a chance.

It depends on what type of marketing role you are looking to acquire. I've just spent five months at a software company as a marketer and, prior to that internship, I would say my knowledge was not great (a lot of it had come through my own learning online).

However, I quickly got to grips with it and I think my mathematical background (my undergraduate is in mathematics) really helped me in the end when going to strategy and performing marketing analytics.

You haven't said whether you're starting your degree or are in the middle of it, but I would recommend applying for marketing internships for the summer holidays when you have heaps of spare time and no essays to write. I cannot emphasise enough how important relevant work experience is. Many humanities graduates make the transition into marketing, but getting a 2.i or a 1st alone isn't enough to get a job in marketing after uni.

It doesnt put you at a disadvantage at all but you have to have work experience.
Reply 6
Well in the job I'm in now and have been previously, they have been marketing orientated jobs however people have had degrees in all sort of things including history. I think as long as you show your interest for marketing, e.g. Doing a volunteering marketing role, interning for a marketing business etc you should be okay because a lot of employers base emphasis on experience as opposed to degrees. If that isn't enough though you could do a top up in marketing or a masters, take a short course in marketing etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
You just need a clear idea of what skills and adcantages you bring, plus know soemthing about the job.

You cna also improve your CV and give it a marketing emphasis by gaining experience or further qualification.

Quick Reply

Latest