The Student Room Group

prelims results - will they affect future?

My friend wants to do postgrad study at Oxford and is really fretting that she'll need a first in prelims to do that (she'll definitely get a high 2.1 at least)...is this a myth or actually true? can't seem to find info on the oxford website. By the way, she does English, in case that is relevant
Original post by MNem
My friend wants to do postgrad study at Oxford and is really fretting that she'll need a first in prelims to do that (she'll definitely get a high 2.1 at least)...is this a myth or actually true? can't seem to find info on the oxford website. By the way, she does English, in case that is relevant

I don't think she'll need a first in prelims to do postgrad study at Oxford; in fact, some courses only ask for a good 2.1. It would certainly help her case, but isn't a necessity - I know of several people who went on to do postgrad and didn't have a first in prelims/ mods.

What your friend really needs to do is to continue working hard, and impress her tutors such that they write her strong letters of recommendation and predict a first for FHS. In the alternative, she can apply after getting her FHS results.
Original post by MNem

This one's a myth. We find that in general the average conversion rate from distinction in Prelims to achieving a First is around 60% but its typically lower for English than other subjects. Like good wine, Eng Lit students take time to mature! The offer that matters is the one for postgrad study and that will specify a target level of performance in Finals.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending