The Student Room Group

What job with dogs will make a difference but also not leave me skint?

I'm not wrapped around money, but I'd like to be secure and not have to scrimp and save with none of the modern world's luxuries (wifi, phone, a pet dog).
My issue is that my dream career is a meaningful and rewarding career with dogs.
I could be a dog trainer, but there is no to little job security and minimal pay.
I could be an animal carer in a shelter, but that wouldn't be rewarding enough or active enough for me.
I could be an animal welfare lawyer, but I failed law at Alevel.
I would love a job that just allows me to be happy, rewarded and financially stable. While also managing to stay close to home (RSPCA inspectors have to be willing to travel and live anywhere in the uk).
I know it's a long shot, but any ideas?
Do an animal psychology/behaviour degree?
Zoology?
Open a pet shop? Or a dog salon (they charge a fortune man)
Animal scientist?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by perspectives
Do an animal psychology/behaviour degree?
Zoology?
Open a pet shop? Or a dog salon (they charge a fortune man)
Animal scientist?

I've looked into the degree ideas but not many people end up with jobs with dogs, other than dog trainers/behaviourists and their income isn't very stable:s-smilie:

And to open a pet shop would be nice:smile: but it would be so difficult to go about and expensive:s-smilie: and completely unpredictable

Animal scientist would be very cool, but I haven't done biology/chemistry at Alevel so most Unis/employers probably won't take me on, especially since dog ones are so competitive...

Thank you:smile: I might look more into the pet shop idea:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by J-SP
Pet grooming is probably the way to make some decent money and is fairly accessible.

Even if your dream job doesn't work out, there's great ways to get extra income through pet sitting and dog walking. Register with sites like Holidog and you can earn some extra cash. I've used it as a pet sitter and for someone to look after my pets, and it's much nicer than sending them to a kennel/cattery.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've looked into dog grooming but even senior groomers only get around £17k a year (£8k below average).:s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending