The Student Room Group

Could you do A-leves in one year !!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 171819
well that's based on the fact if I do bad by teaching myself. Thanks for the advice it may have saved my a collision course with failure, It seems to me that doing it myself may not be wise but I will research and experiment during the summer to see how it pans out.

Thanks everyone for the advice, it has helped a huge deal!

By the way, which subjects are you doing? There's two months of self-teaching you could do right away to see how you like it.
Reply 61
yeah thats what I was thinking. I'm doing Maths, Physics, History and Design and Technology.
I did it this year. I got my 3 A Levels in 2015 but I needed one for University for my course. Therefore I decided to take a gap year and teach myself the full AS and A2 course. As I worked for half of my gap year, I only truly spent around 4-5 months studying and revising for the exams. I finished them 3 weeks ago and obviously im waiting for results. It felt good to be able to study at my own pace, there was difficulty with not having a teacher or private tutor, especially for my speaking exams and essays, but luckily TSR was on my side and I got all the help I needed.
It really depends on whether you feel confident and independent enough. I'm definitely not going to Oxbridge, only to Birmingham, but pending results, I think this was a good thing to do for myself, it's definitely doable. You just need the time, capability of sticking to the course, and a positive mindset.
Good luck with it all!
Reply 63
Original post by atiyaaloveszaynx
I did it this year. I got my 3 A Levels in 2015 but I needed one for University for my course. Therefore I decided to take a gap year and teach myself the full AS and A2 course. As I worked for half of my gap year, I only truly spent around 4-5 months studying and revising for the exams. I finished them 3 weeks ago and obviously im waiting for results. It felt good to be able to study at my own pace, there was difficulty with not having a teacher or private tutor, especially for my speaking exams and essays, but luckily TSR was on my side and I got all the help I needed.
It really depends on whether you feel confident and independent enough. I'm definitely not going to Oxbridge, only to Birmingham, but pending results, I think this was a good thing to do for myself, it's definitely doable. You just need the time, capability of sticking to the course, and a positive mindset.
Good luck with it all!

Nice. did you self teach yourself one a level
Not if you can't tell the difference between a (!) and a (?).
Reply 65
Original post by oShahpo
Not if you can't tell the difference between a (!) and a (?).

what ?
Original post by 171819
what ?

Look at the thread title.
Reply 67
Original post by oShahpo
Look at the thread title.

hahah, I see.
Original post by 171819
Nice. did you self teach yourself one a level

Yeah it was just the one. I was at sixth form before
Original post by 171819
yes. Initially I wanted to save time and the possibility of self teaching interest me as I work better myself but a huge deal of research must be done prior to it as it would be a real balls up if I failed by teaching myself.

I hear you mate, you want to get out there in the world with your qualification, but are concerned that your learning methods might compromise the quality of the grade you will receive. I'm exactly the same in your thinking. I just don't want to spend all my time doing courses that in my mind are too long in duration.

There's a big quite frankly, overcrowded job market out there, full of people just like me and you, all trying to get ahead in live. Unfortunately, we have to start at the bottom, as unlike some, we don't have the luxury of nepotism.
Reply 70
Original post by DauntlessOne
I hear you mate, you want to get out there in the world with your qualification, but are concerned that your learning methods might compromise the quality of the grade you will receive. I'm exactly the same in your thinking. I just don't want to spend all my time doing courses that in my mind are too long in duration.

There's a big quite frankly, overcrowded job market out there, full of people just like me and you, all trying to get ahead in live. Unfortunately, we have to start at the bottom, as unlike some, we don't have the luxury of nepotism.

Yes, I concur! But going against the tide will always have its disadvantages. Prone to drown but if you can manage it you emerge victorious... its all about the technique then not just the frantic power of will.
Reply 71
Yeah it was just the one. I was at sixth form before

Good luck, were there any traps that you initially stumbled on?
Pros:
It's possible

Cons:
You'll need 24/7 medical support
Reply 73
Original post by Marshall Taylor
Pros:
It's possible

Cons:
You'll need 24/7 medical support

lol, it is feasible, but if done correctly it can work.
Original post by 171819
lol, it is feasible, but if done correctly it can work.

Some guy did 20+ A levels and got A's in nearly all of them... I think that 3 subjects could be learnt in 1 year..
Reply 75
Original post by Marshall Taylor
Some guy did 20+ A levels and got A's in nearly all of them... I think that 3 subjects could be learnt in 1 year..

yeah, I have heard of that guy from Pakistan. His interview with BBC breakfast was so funny when he lists his grades
Original post by 171819
Yes, I concur! But going against the tide will always have its disadvantages. Prone to drown but if you can manage it you emerge victorious... its all about the technique then not just the frantic power of will.

That's what spurred me to look into taking A-levels, as you said, if you "emerge victorious" you will go far in the world.
Reply 77
Original post by DauntlessOne
That's what spurred me to look into taking A-levels, as you said, if you "emerge victorious" you will go far in the world.

The downside being high risk equates to high potential loss or success. But to get far you must be a risk taker and be confident your abilities otherwise I would imagine it futile
Original post by 171819
Good luck, were there any traps that you initially stumbled on?

Well generally speaking it would be revision. I always left it last minute which meant revising on the day of the exam and having to retake it, so always start your revision early, even just by consolidating what you learn when you learn it.
With self teaching, start with the hardest module. I kept going over what I already knew which meant I missed out on exam practise. Also make the most of your time! I told myself before starting my gap year that I'll have all the time in the world to prepare, but ended up procrastinating. Make a timetable like you're still at school, that way you'd be more focused on achieving your daily targets.
Building on my last point, the main trap for me was just thinking that I had enough time or that I knew everything that i thought I needed to know, which meant getting last minute help and doing all nigbters before the exam.
I dont know what subjects you do so my advice may or may not help exactly, but all I can say is that time is of the essence! Dont fall in the trap of thinking that you've got months till your exam, it will whizz by, so start by understanding the specification, and adjust your revision accordingly so you know everything that you need for the exam.
Hope I've helped
Reply 79
Well generally speaking it would be revision. I always left it last minute which meant revising on the day of the exam and having to retake it, so always start your revision early, even just by consolidating what you learn when you learn it.
With self teaching, start with the hardest module. I kept going over what I already knew which meant I missed out on exam practise. Also make the most of your time! I told myself before starting my gap year that I'll have all the time in the world to prepare, but ended up procrastinating. Make a timetable like you're still at school, that way you'd be more focused on achieving your daily targets.
Building on my last point, the main trap for me was just thinking that I had enough time or that I knew everything that i thought I needed to know, which meant getting last minute help and doing all nigbters before the exam.
I dont know what subjects you do so my advice may or may not help exactly, but all I can say is that time is of the essence! Dont fall in the trap of thinking that you've got months till your exam, it will whizz by, so start by understanding the specification, and adjust your revision accordingly so you know everything that you need for the exam.
Hope I've helped

i shall bear that in mind

Quick Reply

Latest