The Student Room Group

Is applying to Oxford for somebody like me pointless or worth a shot?

I'm coming to the end of year 12 and have started to write my personal statement. I'm studying Art, Sociology and English literature, and EPQ. I've been predicted and A in Soc and Lit and an A* in art, and I'm looking to study either a combined degree of art and film at uni, or fine art. I've looked at Reading, Oxford Brookes, Lancaster (all of these offer the combination) as well as Nottingham Trent. I am going to look at Canterbury Christchurch (for double honours), Edinburgh for Fine art, and.. as I decided yesterday... Oxford University, for fine art.
I know I can do well at A Level art, and I got 100% at GCSE but I'm really struggling to maintain a B at the moment and I worry my predicted grades won't get me place at Oxford. But, I was thinking about it and I thought I might as well try, If you don't try you never know, right? I'm relatively academic but I don't know if I'm achieving at the level I should be for an Oxford candidate. Is this a good idea, or would putting Oxford down as one of my top choices be sort of wasting that spot on my list?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Might as well but just don't get too obsessed with oxford
it's worth it. Go ahead...do it!!
don't you have 4 AS levels ?
Original post by meghan.sp
I'm coming to the end of year 12 and have started to write my personal statement. I'm studying Art, Sociology and English literature, and EPQ. I've been predicted and A in Soc and Lit and an A* in art, and I'm looking to study either a combined degree of art and film at uni, or fine art. I've looked at Reading, Oxford Brookes, Lancaster (all of these offer the combination) as well as Nottingham Trent. I am going to look at Canterbury Christchurch (for double honours), Edinburgh for Fine art, and.. as I decided yesterday... Oxford University, for fine art.
I know I can do well at A Level art, and I got 100% at GCSE but I'm really struggling to maintain a B at the moment and I worry my predicted grades won't get me place at Oxford. But, I was thinking about it and I thought I might as well try, If you don't try you never know, right? I'm relatively academic but I don't know if I'm achieving at the level I should be for an Oxford candidate. Is this a good idea, or would putting Oxford down as one of my top choices be sort of wasting that spot on my list?

Oxford will go off your predicted grades for AS year to judge your ability. I would say you would atleast want to be achieving an A in the subject you wish to study.

Cambridge go as far as asking candidates for their UMS marks, (how many grades they were into a specific grade boundaries per test per subject) so if you want to be on a high B at the very least.

One thing to consider, Oxford also take into consideration the area you live in, the type of school you study at, and any special circumstances.

You will also have to complete written work which would be your chance to shine if and support your application if your grades let you down.

Personally, If your on a low B I wouldn't bother applying, but you can always try a Russell group university who may be more lieant. Oxford only have 1 place to have 3 students that apply so it's so hard to get in!
Definitely apply. But just don't get your heart set on it, if you don't apply you'll never know so of course it's worth a shot! You never know, you might surprise yourself, maybe you'll wow them in the interview!
I went to an Oxford Conference in Slough (Berkshire) yesterday...12 undergraduate student mentors came from different fields e.g. medicine, law, engineering, biochemthey all said its worth putting it down (oxford) as an option..u never know u might get in.Everyone said that they all thought they wouldn't get in - but they did. Don't be too disheartened if you don't. And your PS and grades are not what all matters...if u show enthusiasm for ur subject and passion as well as acing the interview..you'll be in. Also add WE and other relevant stuff.
(edited 7 years ago)
As you said, if you don't try you won't know. Remember you will only get to choose 2 as your firm and insurance so in the long run it's not like you need to have all 5 offers. You can try, and if you don't get it, you've still got 4 others.

Considering you have an idea of others you want to go to and you have good predicted grades, as long as your personal statement is good you'll definitely get the other 4 and it won't matter about the Oxford one.

So go for it buddy :h:
Reply 8
Original post by mcgreevy1993
Oxford will go off your predicted grades for AS year to judge your ability. I would say you would atleast want to be achieving an A in the subject you wish to study.

Cambridge go as far as asking candidates for their UMS marks, (how many grades they were into a specific grade boundaries per test per subject) so if you want to be on a high B at the very least.

One thing to consider, Oxford also take into consideration the area you live in, the type of school you study at, and any special circumstances.

You will also have to complete written work which would be your chance to shine if and support your application if your grades let you down.

Personally, If your on a low B I wouldn't bother applying, but you can always try a Russell group university who may be more lieant. Oxford only have 1 place to have 3 students that apply so it's so hard to get in!

Since I'm on the new spec. for A Level I'm doing two year courses for all 3 subjects and didn't have any AS exams (although EPQ is worth about an AS I won't get the results until my a-level results come in).. from what I understand my school will send off my results from my mocks... which really aren't great (I was really ill the day I wrote them) but my teacher individually have said they think I can achieve an A or higher. Since I want to study art, and will hopefully get an A* in that subject, is that good enough? Also, what do you mean by written work?
If you feel like you'd enjoy studying at Oxford (and aren't just considering it because of the prestige) and you are predicted the grades they require, then apply. There are tons of people studying at Oxford who were sure they wouldn't be good enough but decided to give it a shot anyway. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Tabstercat
don't you have 4 AS levels ?

I haven't, because I'm on the new A-Level course for all 3 subjects meaning they are back to 2 years, how they were prior to Curriculum 2000. From what I understand my results from my mocks will be sent off as predicted grades.
I haven't, because I'm on the new A-Level course for all 3 subjects meaning they are back to 2 years, how they were prior to Curriculum 2000. From what I understand my results from my mocks will be sent off as predicted grades.

well anyway if you are predicted As and A*s why are you applying to both Oxford brookes and Nottingham trent? By all means keep one as a safety, but you could use one of those choice to pick a higher ranking university. I don't know much about Oxford admissions but I know they put more stock in GCSE grades as an indicator of success - so if you have 5 A*s or more at GCSE then definitely apply.
Since I'm on the new spec. for A Level I'm doing two year courses for all 3 subjects and didn't have any AS exams (although EPQ is worth about an AS I won't get the results until my a-level results come in).. from what I understand my school will send off my results from my mocks... which really aren't great (I was really ill the day I wrote them) but my teacher individually have said they think I can achieve an A or higher. Since I want to study art, and will hopefully get an A* in that subject, is that good enough? Also, what do you mean by written work?

Some courses at Oxford make you produce written work (like an essay, portfolio, test) as part of your application. They request this later on in the application. If your illness effected your grades you can get a teacher to write an extenuating circumstances form as part of your application to say you can achieve higher but this happened.

I work for a sixth form currently and have been producing a few materials for students to apply with to Oxbridge so feel free to ask any more questions :smile: I'll try to help!
Reply 13
Original post by Tabstercat
well anyway if you are predicted As and A*s why are you applying to both Oxford brookes and Nottingham trent? By all means keep one as a safety, but you could use one of those choice to pick a higher ranking university. I don't know much about Oxford admissions but I know they put more stock in GCSE grades as an indicator of success - so if you have 5 A*s or more at GCSE then definitely apply.

I applied to OB and NTU because they offer combined degrees of the courses I want to look at, and also because there's no guarantee I'll get 3 As and didn't want to aim too high. Both of the universities are really nice and I really enjoyed the open days. My idea to apply for Oxford was quite spur of the moment because I thought I might as well.. but if they look at GCSE grades as well maybe I shouldn't bother as I only got 2 A*s and 1 A*, the rest Bs and Cs..
Who knows, I may as well.. :smile:
Original post by sulaimanali
I went to an Oxford Conference in Slough (Berkshire) yesterday...12 undergraduate student mentors came from different fields e.g. medicine, law, engineering, biochemthey all said its worth putting it down (oxford) as an option..u never know u might get in.Everyone said that they all thought they wouldn't get in - but they did. Don't be too disheartened if you don't. And your PS and grades are not what all matters...if u show enthusiasm for ur subject and passion as well as acing the interview..you'll be in. Also add WE and other relevant stuff.

What does WE stand for?
Reply 15
Original post by mcgreevy1993
Some courses at Oxford make you produce written work (like an essay, portfolio, test) as part of your application. They request this later on in the application. If your illness effected your grades you can get a teacher to write an extenuating circumstances form as part of your application to say you can achieve higher but this happened.

I work for a sixth form currently and have been producing a few materials for students to apply with to Oxbridge so feel free to ask any more questions :smile: I'll try to help!

Great! Thank-you for all the help. From what I have read online for the art degree they require a portfolio which I would have to either bring to interview or physically post to them. I guess I just have to make my coursework outstanding. I may be able to re-sit my English mock as that was my worst result and my tutors have let other people re-sit.
Original post by 2000rules
What does WE stand for?

WE = Work ExperiencePS = Personal Statement
Original post by sulaimanali
WE = Work ExperiencePS = Personal Statement

Oh alrightyy! Thnx

You could also consider an Art Foundation first and we suggest this is something you could usefully discuss with your Art teacher at school, who is best placed to offer advice.

You could also consider an Art Foundation first - we suggest talking to your art teacher about options who is best placed to offer advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending