The Student Room Group

Is prison really that bad

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Looool
Yeah it's rough your right
From what I've heard, the really bad thing isn't prison itself, it's having a criminal record. It becomes harder to get a job, you lose the right to vote, and a lot of things are closed to you forever. But it's not unheard of for people to turn prison into an opportunity or turning point in their lives. They have access to libraries, sometimes they find religion, etc.
Yeah trust me what if you have a written record what's that and yeah prison changes people for the best sometimes
Reply 24
It isn't that bad aside from the fact that you have no freedom, limited rights, can not see loved ones, no McDonalds, no Cheeky Nandos, No KFC and no opposite sex.
Its not that bad tbh. We were all designated roles.. i was given the role of fudge packer receiver by a very friendly large African Englishcan male
I've watched enough Orange is the New Black to know how to survive in one now :tongue:

I'm sure prison isn't very good in the slightest, but as someone has said on this thread already it's more the criminal record which is the bad thing. Also, they are starting to explore rehabilitating criminals which I think is a very good thing for the future of the country/criminal :smile:
Lets put it this way, you won't need laxative.
Original post by Anonymous
first time going inside

Don't drop the soap then :wink:
Family' have me scared, they was like you could die on your first day, what's it really like and how would you cope first time going inside

it depends on the sentence if you have a murder or multiple murder charge people with either despise you, follow you or avoid you but minimum security is cushy however you're worst off if you on a small charge or have a lot of money

I know people who have been inside a couple of my uncles, my step-grandfather, my great uncle and of course Michael Carroll if you want to see prison life read Michael's book 'be careful what you wish for' that give a good incite (he took up poetry by the way in prison some of which is sampled in the book)
Ok I'm confused
1. Did you actually hit the girl? It seems like you're asking "if" but then you say you're going to prison?
2. I can't see you going to prison for hitting someone once unless you seriously injured her.
3. If you're going to prison, prison is probably what you need- it's not a punishment so much as rehabilitation. You'll get the help you need.
Reply 31
is is based on medieval principles that do not reform and help prisoners. many will re-offend and the cycle continues thus the hierarchy exists which destroys the point of prison. to build on Frankie boyle joke you either get thrown around like a dog toy or you throw people around like a dog toy
It really depends on what kind of person you are, and what kind of prison you go into. A friend of mine that went to prison told me a few stories. People that were easily intimidated tried to stay in their cells at all times, which meant not coming out to shower. If you come from a relatively well-off background, and people pick up on this, you might find yourself being extorted to pay £200 a week at the expense of your family, in order to save yourself from being kicked in, or worse, having boiling water and sugar poured over your face. In short, prison is not a nice place.
I was 19 at the time this girl who was 14 set me up with her friend they attacked me and she spat in my face, I was gonna hit her this woman was holding me back in thinking if I had hit her how would I survive in prison

:lolwut:
Nah

Loool

Looool

:erm:

anyway it's not bad as people who've never even been in claim
I agree recidivism/the systematic revolving door constantly going back in the nick is what'll really do you
Original post by Little Popcorns
:lolwut:

Did I say something wrong in my other thread? >_>
It depends who you are and what you did. E.g. Rolf Harris would say it really is that bad.
Original post by 0to100
Did I say something wrong in my other thread? >_>

No I just don't like going over the same ground might reply later
no personal experience but a friend of mine went to prison. he only went for 2 months but he said it was the longest of his life and you're on a weird mixture of hyper alert and autopilot all the time. but he said it was actually alright, just keep your head down and with a short stretch people don't want much off you, no time to earn anything worth stealing.

but like others have said it's afterwards that's the killer. he trained for years to be a teacher and can't be any more even though his crime had nothing to do with children. so that's years of uni and work experience wasted and although finding a min wage job isn't as hard as you'd think with a record it's pretty limiting in terms of money
Original post by Little Popcorns
No I just don't like going over the same ground might reply later

You don't have to reply :laugh: just wondering if you disagreed because I wanted to discuss it, but I see that's not it so.

Quick Reply

Latest