The Student Room Group

Geography or Art

hey, Im going to yr 10 in september and i still dont actually know 100% what I want to do in GCSE. I have chosen Music, Drama and Art at the moment , but I don't know for certain if I want to change art to geography?

So basically I know that art is LOADS of work- that's not what's really put me off. It's just that my art teacher never show up to school because she's always sick- so if she's not there, there's no one to help me and give me advice and everything.

The geography teacher is okay- atleast he shows up! But I deffenetley enjoy art more than geography, but I dont mind geography so it wouldn't be the end of the world if I choose that.

What should I do? Geography or Art?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Up to you!

There are lots of useful website for Art - One I found this website useful:
http://www.studentartguide.com/articles/gcse-art-exam-2013
(edited 7 years ago)
I would personally suggest geography, as I think it would be better to have at least one humanities subject, rather than all art subjects. Also, your geography teacher seems much more reliable, and being able to ask your teachers for help and feedback is important at GCSE. The choice is yours though! :smile:
[QUOTE=osiangriffiths;66395242]hey, Im going to yr 10 in september and i still dont actually know 100% what I want to do in GCSE. I have chosen Music, Drama and Art at the moment , but I don't know for certain if I want to change art to geography?

So basically I know that art is LOADS of work- that's not what's really put me off. It's just that my art teacher never show up to school because she's always sick- so if she's not there, there's no one to help me and give me advice and everything.

The geography teacher is okay- atleast he shows up! But I deffenetley enjoy art more than geography, but I dont mind geography so it wouldn't be the end of the world if I choose that.

I would say go for geography as art for many university courses is a 'non preferred subject'. But if art fits well with your university course then I guess it's fine. And yes art is a lot lot of work. I don't do art myself but I have a handful of friends who do. And they spend hours at a stretch working on their courseworks that they have very few hours left to revise and study the other gcse subjects they have chosen. But at the end of the day, it's your choice!😉
Do what you think will be the easiest/best subject (you enjoy). With that said, go for Geography as you'll get more knowledge and having 3 arts subjects shows no versatility. I myself took History, Drama and Chinese so I would be biased for Drama (practical wise, theory is okay). Not sure about Music.
Original post by osiangriffiths
hey, Im going to yr 10 in september and i still dont actually know 100% what I want to do in GCSE. I have chosen Music, Drama and Art at the moment , but I don't know for certain if I want to change art to geography?

It depends which exam board you are with, I think. I did GCSE art with Edexcel and found most of it was working stuff out for myself, although I do owe my result to my year 11 teacher who really chased me up about deadlines and the standards of the work. I do think having a good teacher is really important, though you will find you will be doing a lot of the work indepedantly (that is if the course is similar to mine was.. Unlike in the lower school there was a lot less sort of 'lessons', per say, ie. no "this is how to draw a leaf" etc. It's up to you how you want to work but it's important to stay on top of things)

I also took geography, and though I didn't enjoy it as much as art it is a really good subject. If the teacher is good, you will likely do well if you work hard. For a few months I had a pretty bad teacher, and the entire class fell behind. With something like geography having a good teacher is crucial, because of how much stuff there is to learn. In art, there's no 'wrong' answer. Sorry if that was no help, that's just how I saw it!
You'll find that there will be a lot of work with 3 creative subjects - I know that it's not what you're concerned about, but I did Art and Drama and if I did Music instead of History I would have struggled a lot more. Geography would be better imo as you'll probably find that the workload is more manageable than another creative subject, and Geography would perhaps open more doors for you once you get to A Level choices. Also, the fact that your Art teacher isn't turning up often won't help, as she has the possibility of missing important stages of your GCSE Art progress. :smile:
Original post by meghan.sp
It depends which exam board you are with, I think. I did GCSE art with Edexcel and found most of it was working stuff out for myself, although I do owe my result to my year 11 teacher who really chased me up about deadlines and the standards of the work. I do think having a good teacher is really important, though you will find you will be doing a lot of the work indepedantly (that is if the course is similar to mine was.. Unlike in the lower school there was a lot less sort of 'lessons', per say, ie. no "this is how to draw a leaf" etc. It's up to you how you want to work but it's important to stay on top of things)

I also took geography, and though I didn't enjoy it as much as art it is a really good subject. If the teacher is good, you will likely do well if you work hard. For a few months I had a pretty bad teacher, and the entire class fell behind. With something like geography having a good teacher is crucial, because of how much stuff there is to learn. In art, there's no 'wrong' answer. Sorry if that was no help, that's just how I saw it!

thankyou👍🏼
Original post by george_c00per
You'll find that there will be a lot of work with 3 creative subjects - I know that it's not what you're concerned about, but I did Art and Drama and if I did Music instead of History I would have struggled a lot more. Geography would be better imo as you'll probably find that the workload is more manageable than another creative subject, and Geography would perhaps open more doors for you once you get to A Level choices. Also, the fact that your Art teacher isn't turning up often won't help, as she has the possibility of missing important stages of your GCSE Art progress. :smile:

thanks for the help😊
thankyou everybody! Almost all of you seem to recomened Geography?
I'd say go for Art - I did both and I too enjoy Art more than Geography, and I think it's important to take a subject you enjoy as you're going to want to work for it and get a better grade. It's better to get a good grade in a "soft" subject that you WANT to work for, than a lower grade in a subject which you don't enjoy / regret taking. Employers later on probably won't mind what GCSE you took (even if they did, as long as you can justify your reason for taking it, you should be fine) so really it's your decision.

Either way, I wish you luck with your GCSEs. Enjoy year 10! :biggrin:
Reply 11
Depends on you like Which subject would be easiest to get a good grade (A/A*)
I'll personally prefer geography.
I did Art GCSE and it ended up being the only subject I opted for that I took further to A Level. I also took Drama GCSE and it was great fun, however towards the last few months there was a lot of time taken up by rehearsal for final piece which clashed with trying to complete my exam project for Art, however I managed to pass both (A in Art, B in Drama as I didn't really try with my coursework but you probably won't have to do coursework) so it is do-able. Personally, I'd recommend Art but ultimately it is up to you. Good luck whatever you decide!
I didn't choose art for GCSE (I couldn't do it😂) but I chose geography. I just finished year 11, but I think that's the equivalent to year 10 in mainland uk. Geography is pretty easy the first year in general, the worst part is probably the case studies, which can be hard if you're not good at learning lots of information and details like that. I've also heard that the second year involves quite a lot of data and things like that, but I think it seems easy enough anyway. I've heard from friends that art, as you said, takes so much work. Their teacher was also off on maternity or something and they had several subs, and they said that it was a little harder as they all were making totally different corrections , but if you're better at art and you prefer it you could do it😊 It can be harder to interest yourself in geography if you're maybe not as interested, but it is an easy enough pass if you can learn a lot of information and details

Quick Reply

Latest