Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Choosing a psychologist

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    Hi there,

    I've been having issues for the past few years and I think it's time to admit I can't man up and seek advice. I think I just need a chat with a professional. Anyway, I'm based in Edinburgh and I'm trying to choose a therapist but have no idea how to do it. It's easy enough to do a google search but I'd rather hear people's opinions from visiting therapists. I'm just a bit worried opening to a stranger so I'd rather have some assurance of their competence.

    I don't want to ask people around me because this is a very personal thing and I'm not sure how they'll react.

    Any suggestions or should I just pick a therapist and see how it goes?


    Have you considered going to your GP first and then maybe you could get referred to someone on the NHS rather than paying the sometimes quite expensive private costs to see someone? Might work out better in the long run. GPs are used to this sort of thing so they should be able to help with any problems that you might have.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 1, 1970
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.