The Student Room Group

2nd Yr Uni - Improving my Maths exam marks

Just got the results of my 2nd year Maths exams (Warwick). As with Yr 1 I'm consistently getting 10%-15% less than I expected, based upon how I did with practice papers and assignments and how I felt about the exams themselves. Can't work out what I'm doing wrong and there isn't a mechanism for individual feedback on exam results.

Can anyone give some pointers about what typically might be the problem - is it style, not adding value, scruffy presentation, or am I just kidding myself and not getting things right when I thought I had? On some modules I came out knowing I did poorly and that was confirmed by the marks, but on others I came out confident as I had revised the very questions asked but the marks were way below what I expected.

As I'm now entering Yr3 (which counts for 60%) I'm looking to try and identify the problem so I can hopefully recover the situation a bit.
Have you spoken to a lecturer or tutor about this? Make a private appointment with them and request feedback on your work/exam results.
Do you have enough time to check your answers for silly mistakes at the end and are you doing this?
Are making sure to answer all the questions your confident about first and then go back to trickier ones?
Is your writing legible?
Can you keep your exam paper and go over it at a later date with your notes?

Quick Reply

Latest