The Student Room Group

My experiences in Pharmacy

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by mediaya
you're welcome but dont thank me lol, @Jh7687 did it all!
yh i know that's pretty AWFUL, poor them, they must be ruined if they cant do anything else! but i am sure they can, u just cant register as a pharmacist i think you can do more things with a Mpharm degree, i think
Dont take my words for it tho, :lol:
what are u studying btw?(if u dont mind me asking)

Just finished alevels - cant even look on that paper on results day :ahhhhh:
Reply 21
Original post by Ordo
Awesome I am hoping to become a pharmacist too! Hoping to go to Kingston uni to study pharmacy this Sep :biggrin:

Thanks for waiting and sorry if I asked that you already put that in first post.

1) BOOK -
Can you recommend which books useful for pharmacy throughout first year?
Do your university give you the list of books or is it general across UK?
Can you borrow it or pay for it? I have a book called 'Biology of disease' by Nessar Ahmed, Maureen Dawson, Chris Smith and Ed Wood - its for biomedical science and I got this from my summer school. I don't want to waste this book as its not related to pharmacy. I read it and find it interesting and I feel this book will help me on pharmacy. But do you do think I could read it as an advantage?

2) AFTER 4 YEAR DEGREE -
One year placement is it competitive to apply for a company like GlaxoSmithKline or
Pfizer that make the drugs. Have you applied this before? If yes, how long the process of application? If you were unsuccessful, what was the reason for this? If not, tell me other company name. What did you do?

3) i will add more question if necessary

Three BOOKS WHICH ARE THE BREAD AND BUTTER FOR PHARMACY STUDENTS

BNF- BRITISH NATIONAL FORMULARLY CONTAINS DETAILS OF EVERY DRUG ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH! IT IS A MUST FOR PHARMACY STUDENTS AND I BELIEVE ALL UNIS PROVIDE PUPILS THIS FOR FREE
CLINICAL PHARMACY AND THERAPEUTICS- THIS COVERS ALL THE MAJOR DISEASES, DRUGS THERAPY, MONITORING, SIDE EFFECTS ETC!
RESPONDING TO SYMPTOMS- THIS COVERS DETAILS ON MINOR AILMENTS E.G. COUGS, COLDS, HAYFEVER, SORE THROAT, CONJUNCTIVITIS, BLEPHARITIS, OTITIS MEDIA & EXTERNA, MIGRANE, CLUSTER HEADACHE TO NAME A FEW!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jh7687
It may sound cruel but it is in the best interest of patients, I mean would you like to be under the care of a pharmacist who has not reached a national average.

TO CLARIFY IF YOU DO NOT PASS THE REGISTRATION (NATIONAL) EXAM AFTER 3 ATTEMPTS IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO REGISTER AS A PHARMACIST IN THE UK!

All pharmacy graduates sit the same national exam, however there are stats available online to show which pharmacy school graduates had the highest pass rate!

erm...nah i wouldnt want to lol :erm:

oh lol yh i did get that bit, sorry for making u angry if u are! :hugs:i am just really curious:tongue:

oh right! thanks :yep:
Reply 23
Original post by fefssdf
congrats on your 2:1 that is really impressive dude ?
May i ask how much your earn...

haha very cheeky question!
I am a band 7 pharmacist (check the nhs website for band 7 salaries)!
Original post by jh7687
haha very cheeky question!
I am a band 7 pharmacist (check the nhs website for band 7 salaries)!

i will hahhaha

oooh enjoy your thirty something grand ... you deserve it after all those years :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by mediaya
erm...nah i wouldnt want to lol :erm:

oh lol yh i did get that bit, sorry for making u angry if u are! :hugs:i am just really curious:tongue:

oh right! thanks :yep:

i ADMIRE YOUR INQUISITIVE NATURE, PHARMACISTS ARE LIKE MANY INSPECTORS, YOU WILL MAKE A GREAT PHARMACIST ONE DAY BEST OF LUCK!
Reply 26
Original post by jh7687
Three BOOKS WHICH ARE THE BREAD AND BUTTER FOR PHARMACISTS

BNF- BRITISH NATIONAL FORMULARLY CONTAINS DETAILS OF EVERY DRUG ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH! IT IS A MUST FOR PHARMACY STUDENTS AND I BELIEVE ALL UNIS PROVIDE PUPILS THIS FOR FREE
CLINICAL PHARMACY AND THERAPEUTICS- THIS COVERS ALL THE MAJOR DISEASES, DRUGS THERAPY, MONITORING, SIDE EFFECTS ETC!
RESPONDING TO SYMPTOMS- THIS COVERS DETAILS ON MINOR AILMENTS E.G. COUGS, COLDS, HAYFEVER, SORE THROAT, CONJUNCTIVITIS, BLEPHARITIS, OTITIS MEDIA & EXTERNA, MIGRANE, CLUSTER HEADACHE TO NAME A FEW!

Woah chill and thanks. Note taken. But are these books you recommend free? You havent answer my questions properly sorry
Original post by Ordo
Just finished alevels - cant even look on that paper on results day :ahhhhh:

oh lol, i just finished gcse n am doing, biology, chemistry, maths and french at alevel! i hope they are the right choices to be a phamacist lol
dont be scared :lol: i am pretty sure u did AWESOME, :biggrin:
what did u do for ur alevels?:wink:
Reply 28
afffhf#
oippp
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by mediaya
oh lol, i just finished gcse n am doing, biology, chemistry, maths and french at alevel! i hope they are the right choices to be a phamacist lol
dont be scared :lol: i am pretty sure u did AWESOME, :biggrin:
what did u do for ur alevels?:wink:

I did the same A-levels as you other than the french. Its really important to have biology in my opinion even though schools emphasize on chemistry. You need to have a basic understanding of body systems, cells and all of that type of stuff.
Most schools of Pharmacy require entry requirements range from AAB-BBB.

Try your best to get into the upper echelon of pharmacy schools they give outstanding teaching. I've heard great things about bath and nottingham.
Original post by jh7687
i ADMIRE YOUR INQUISITIVE NATURE, PHARMACISTS ARE LIKE MANY INSPECTORS, YOU WILL MAKE A GREAT PHARMACIST ONE DAY BEST OF LUCK!

thanks, (i had to search what inquisitive mean lol, i know now)
Reply 31
Original post by jh7687
1) kingston is one of the school of pharmacies which regularly has low pass rates in the exam
2) it will depend on your uni if they want to give you these books for free, most do but i cannot say for certain

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
i applied for this university because it is near to my home area and I been away from home due to boarding school for 11 years!!! Now im worried :frown: - can you please advise me a bit more here? If kingston uni have low pass rates - did that mean they have poor level of teaching?? What can I do???
Reply 32
Guys thanks for all your inquiries I think that's the most I can answer for today I'm afraid.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by Ordo
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
i applied for this university because it is near to my home area and I been away from home due to boarding school for 11 years!!! Now im worried :frown: - can you please advise me a bit more here? If kingston uni have low pass rates - did that mean they have poor level of teaching?? What can I do???

1) From what I am told kingston is not the best pharmacy school in the world. But that doesn't mean anything I would advise you check I do not want to speak ill of a university without looking at all the facts but i had some friends that went there and they werent very impressed. But you never know. There are several pharmacy schools that go into clearing you can try them also!
Original post by jh7687
I did the same A-levels as you other than the french. Its really important to have biology in my opinion even though schools emphasize on chemistry. You need to have a basic understanding of body systems, cells and all of that type of stuff.
Most schools of Pharmacy require entry requirements range from AAB-BBB.

Try your best to get into the upper echelon of pharmacy schools they give outstanding teaching. I've heard great things about bath and nottingham.

ah that's good then!
yh me too, i find it weird when the entry requirement ask u to have chem in particular!
okay!

is keele good too? it's 13 in rank for pharmacy
Reply 35
Original post by jh7687
1) From what I am told kingston is not the best pharmacy school in the world. But that doesn't mean anything I would advise you check I do not want to speak ill of a university without looking at all the facts but i had some friends that went there and they werent very impressed. But you never know. There are several pharmacy schools that go into clearing you can try them also!

Now im worried :frown:
I will check the clearing but I have to wait on results day

Can I ask why they werent impressed? Please explain about this university - I want to know the truth about people studying this so it doesnt matter if it is bad to talk about.
Reply 36
Original post by Ordo
Now im worried :frown:
I will check the clearing but I have to wait on results day

Can I ask why they werent impressed? Please explain about this university - I want to know the truth about people studying this so it doesnt matter if it is bad to talk about.

I am merely relating anectodes to you. IT could be fantastic uni in its own right. Many people thought medway was awful but I absolutely loved it. Don't worry about it all pharmacy schools are accredited and depends on you as a person as much as anything. Good luck!
Reply 37
Original post by jh7687
I am merely relating anectodes to you. IT could be fantastic uni in its own right. Many people thought medway was awful but I absolutely loved it. Don't worry about it all pharmacy schools are accredited and depends on you as a person as much as anything. Good luck!

Additionally as a pharmacist you must have the right attitude, you will be faced with many challenging choices and becoming apprehensive is not one of them!
Reply 38
Original post by jh7687

Thanks for help :smile: I am now aware of this problem and will have to make sure I get the opportunities to pass this course. Let us know how your job going!
would you need a good knowledge of biology to do a pharmacy degree? i thought about doing pharmacy but the biology aspect put me off..it's not my strong subject and i dropped it after year 12

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending