The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
sam99
excellent. I look forward to it. I was worried that there wouldn't be many people who can play. Which college will you be at?

Girton... Badminton and chess were my two sports when I was younger. I still play both a bit - a mate of mine who has just graduated from Sussex (Brighton, not Sidney Sussex!) plays badminton with me from time to time (as does my g/f). I'd quite like to get back into it again on a competative level.. I don't suppose you also play racquet ball, do you?
Reply 81
sam99
There are international standard players at Cambridge?!?!?!

Not at the moment I don't think, Oxford fielded a Welsh international against us this year and I think two internationals the year before.

The general rule of thumb is that if you've played county you go to uni trials, but otherwise you just stick to college badminton.

Girton's second team is still in division 8 I think, along with Clare's second team. Trinity has it's 4th team in the seventh division.

Trinity I won cuppers this year, they're a bit good.

Alaric.
Reply 82
Alaric
Not at the moment I don't think, Oxford fielded a Welsh international against us this year and I think two internationals the year before.

The general rule of thumb is that if you've played county you go to uni trials, but otherwise you just stick to college badminton.

Girton's second team is still in division 8 I think, along with Clare's second team. Trinity has it's 4th team in the seventh division.

Trinity I won cuppers this year, they're a bit good.

Alaric.

Sounds like I'm in with a chance of making the Girton team then..!

I remember being at college about 10yrs ago and we played a cup (chess) match against Soton Uni's A team. I was o-k, had been Hants junior champion a few times at dif age gsections, had played once internationally and had a BCF grade of about 145 (not amazing, but ok). We got there and their board one said "sorry, our ordinary board one is really ill - he doesn't mean to offend you by not turning up, but I'm the Greek number one and an IM..." Needless to say he beat me rather quickly and we lost 5-0 (I wanted to cheat and play their board 5 and go for 4-1, but our teacher wouldn't let me!).

Is it like that with Cambridge? ie they have internationals at everything and ordinary people like myself could never make their full teams?
Reply 83
polthegael
Sounds like I'm in with a chance of making the Girton team then..!

Is it like that with Cambridge? ie they have internationals at everything and ordinary people like myself could never make their full teams?

If you're willing to turn up for a few practices and matches and are keen you're almost guaranteed a team place, most college sports will grab anyone they can, badminton is no exception! As the Clare Badminton Pres I'm really hoping for some keen new freshers as the second team is going to look a bit dilapidated and a load of my grads for the first team are going to be leaving.

You do really have to be dedicated and at least county level to get into the uni squads, I'm working with a former county player at the moment who failed the trials last year. They aren't internationals, but they are good!
Besides college badminton is more fun! I might have to sub down for the match if you're playing for Girton IIs in Michaelmas.

Alaric.
Reply 84
polthegael
Girton... Badminton and chess were my two sports when I was younger. I still play both a bit - a mate of mine who has just graduated from Sussex (Brighton, not Sidney Sussex!) plays badminton with me from time to time (as does my g/f). I'd quite like to get back into it again on a competative level.. I don't suppose you also play racquet ball, do you?

Funny you should ask about racquet ball...I've just taken up squash and the two are similar aren't they?
Reply 85
sam99
Funny you should ask about racquet ball...I've just taken up squash and the two are similar aren't they?

Yes, racquet ball has a larger racquet and ball though, but both played on same court (not at the same time, obviously! :smile:)
Faboba
No, no, no. That's next week.

I decided I can't be bothered giving money to hairdressers anymore so I've bought a set of hairclippers off ebay. I'll stick the largest guard on ( number five? ) and just attack the whole lot. It'll have regrown by October, rest assured.

i'll do it for you at cam if you want :wink: I do my boyfriend's all the time. And my brother's. And mine, and my sister's, but not with clippers. sadly i can't find a picture of me when i cut it myself but i assure you it was very nice.
Damn! I thought i had found one. but no, this is year 10 not year 11. :frown:

OH BUT WAIT. my card from school! AHA! by the way my face isnt actually quite *that* squashed, they messed up the photos. and nor is my skin tone actually blue....... hmm

ANYWAY, here is my self done haircut
Reply 88
{applauds}

I very rarely get my hair cut. I'm allergic to hairdressrs. :frown:
Acaila
{applauds}

me too, that's why I did it myself (i am also quite tight and hate the idea of paying someone to do it for me!)

however i have had my hair cut properly twice in the last two years or so. it just grows soooooooo fast.

oh and here's a tip - never let your friends cut your hair while they are drunk......i learnt this the hard way (although actually it wasnt that bad for how drunk they were, they made up for it by colouring in my face andwriting on me with permanent marker and nail varnish when i passed out.. :frown: )
Reply 90
Oh my friends all threaten to do that. I will never go near them if they're holding scissors.
Acaila
Oh my friends all threaten to do that. I will never go near them if they're holding scissors.

i think i must have been quite intoxicated to allow this but it was a looong time ago..
Reply 92
Acaila
{applauds}

Lol..i get mine cut every 6-8 weeks..don't like it when my hair goes over the tops of my ears....call me crazy :tongue:

G
Reply 93
crana
ANYWAY, here is my self done haircut

Gleoite! :smile:
polthegael
Gleoite! :smile:

you what?
Reply 95
crana
you what?

From An Foclóir Beag:

"Gleoite, a3, an-deas ar fad, néata, álainn."

I'd say it roughly means "cute"
polthegael
From An Foclóir Beag:

"Gleoite, a3, an-deas ar fad, néata, álainn."

I'd say it roughly means "cute"

between you and Chinese, what hope do i have :frown:
Reply 97
crana
between you and Chinese, what hope do i have :frown:

I'm sure some people will speak English at Cambridge! The people who actually live there, maybe... :smile:
polthegael
I'm sure some people will speak English at Cambridge! The people who actually live there, maybe... :smile:

maybe I'll have to make use of this language learning facility thingy just to communicate with my fellow students

:|

anyone speak Vietnamese? :biggrin:
Reply 99
crana
maybe I'll have to make use of this language learning facility thingy just to communicate with my fellow students

:|

anyone speak Vietnamese? :biggrin:

Sorry, but my friend Lok can (coming from there..! :smile:)

Latest

Trending

Trending