The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Social anixety is MUCH WORSE than depression

Because it slips under the radar, people dismiss it as shyness (which is healthy and normal) or confuse it with introverts (people who CHOOSE not be in too many social situations because they don't want to be in them not because anxiety prevents them). Depression for the most part is taken seriously and therapies and studies are leagues ahead what is available for social anxiety.

Every job even a Data Entry role I saw once asked for an 'outgoing' person and communication and interpersonal skills are needed as standard. The graduate hiring system is built on group tasks, it's pretty hard to do well with social anxiety. Unlike with depression you literally feel like you have no place in society because of the price we place on social skills. Eventually I got a good life after two years of traditional and creative therapy but when I look back five years I just shiver at how bad those times were.

So hold tight my SA sufferers it does eventually get better but through utter utter pain :smile:
Why compare them? They are both issues that can be serious in many cases, I acknowledge the fact that perhaps social anxiety slips under the radar more often (I'm not particularly knowledgeable about this), but that doesn't mean you should diminish the importance of depression when spreading awareness.
Reply 2
Disparaging one issue to highlight another totally different issue isn't the correct way to compare. There are varying degrees of both of these illnesses and to discredit one against another is ignorant.

Yes, social anxiety 'slips under the radar' a lot more than depression does but I'm 100% certain there are some people out there with depression who will slip under the radar too, just as there are people with social anxiety who will get the help they need as well.

You can't simply compare these issues without considering the degrees to which they can affect people. You can't simply make the statement you did and then not mention how both of these can be crippling. Of course I understand some cases of social anxiety will be worse than some cases of depression but to generalise is stupid.
Neither is worse than the other.

Although recovering, I have both.
Different things. Is cancer worse than heart disease?
Now how do you think people with both (which is shockingly common) feel?
Social anxiety has a reputation of not being taken seriously because it seems as if everyone claims to have it. I am sure it must be a requirement to have social anxiety if you want to become a youtuber. In many people's cases I don't think they have social anxiety and I think it's often mistaken for general anxiousness that everyone feels or shyness etc..
Both are bad, there's no point comparing. Creating more awareness for social anxiety is fine, but putting down depression as not a big deal isn't helpful. Both are mental health issues that we need to help people with.
Social anxiety can lead to depression, I'm sure, or comes from it, whichever the case for the individual. It's all unfortunate.
Original post by Lord Samosa
Both are bad, there's no point comparing. Creating more awareness for social anxiety is fine, but putting down depression as not a big deal isn't helpful. Both are mental health issues that we need to help people with.

We who? More like clinical psychologists.
Sure, social anxiety isn't always taken as seriously as depression, but they both have life-ruining effects.
They are both equally bad. I don't think they should really be compared.
Bad post. Do you have depression? How could you make this claim? Even if you did have both SA and depression, your evidence would be purely anecdotal. Nothing good comes out of comparing mental illnesses and saying which is "worse".
Reply 13
apparently its "in" to have social anxiety these days.
It's not a competition :rolleyes:

They're both conditions worthy of treatment. Sometimes depression goes unnoticed too and people end up harming themselves so... It's not as you say I'm afraid. The main thing is if you have either of these problems get help for them from a professional.
MENTAL HEALTH IS NOT A COMPETITION.

/thread
Going to close this thread as it's not going to go anywhere good. Mental illness differs for everyone and just because one is worse for you doesn't mean it can't be for someone else. Attempting to compare them helps noone and just discredits it for someone else- all can be serious and all are worthy of help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest