The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

edinburgh
hermaphrodite
edinburgh

Reasons?
well it goes without saying that edinburgh is one of the BEST Uni's in the country. if i were to rate Uni's for maths, i would say Oxbridge, london then Edinburgh. (but that's just my opinion)
Reply 4
And what about the courses do you think? Edinburgh has an extra year for a Bsc...
Go for Bristol
Reply 6
hermaphrodite
well it goes without saying that edinburgh is one of the BEST Uni's in the country. if i were to rate Uni's for maths, i would say Oxbridge, london then Edinburgh. (but that's just my opinion)

I think it's widely accepted that the likes of warwick and bristol are very good departments, neither of which should be ignored when comparing.

I'm a tad unsure about your reasoning, care to expand? Plus specifics would be useful, I think out of UOL, Imperial is the one that stands out and i'd take a guess that departments such as bath, bristol, st andrews, etc all have the edge over maybe LSE for example.

At the end of the day, it's hard to ignore a uni's overall reputation when picking a course. Edinburgh is a very good uni but I think the reputation of the uni is greater than that of the maths course... Plus you have the whole 4 year think to consider.
but all scottish uni's take 4 years to get a Bsc.

and i think its worth another year to graduate from Edinburgh -
Reply 8
I'd say Bristol - arguably better than Edinburgh and Bath overall and neither have a significant advantage over Bristol, if any, in maths.
Reply 9
hermaphrodite

That makes no sense.
Reply 10
Werty675
I'd say Bristol - arguably better than Edinburgh and Bath overall and neither have a significant advantage over Bristol, if any, in maths.

I don't really understand what you mean :s-smilie:
Reply 11
Basically pick Bristol on the basis of reputation (which is all this board can really advise you on).
Reply 12
Yes i appreciate that. Does anyone by chance have any extra information they could add? Feelings even for a place, rumours, etc?
I know people who have been admitted on to the second year of the Edinburgh course because they had covered the first year in their a-levels. Isn't that the case here?
Reply 14
Mathemagician. Funny?
I know people who have been admitted on to the second year of the Edinburgh course because they had covered the first year in their a-levels. Isn't that the case here?

This is usually the case for people who have done Further Maths. Does anyone know much about the deparments? Reading something and having opinions makes a lot of difference!
speleo :as imperial college london
edit - which is now independent from london
For me? Bath > Edinburgh > Bristol.

Bath and Edinburgh were pretty close - I visited and loved both. Having an extra year to study also went in favour of Edinburgh but in the end my gut feeling wanted to go for Bath.

I hated Bristol.

Goldenratio
This is usually the case for people who have done Further Maths. Does anyone know much about the deparments? Reading something and having opinions makes a lot of difference!

Dunno if it's just for Further maths people. When Edinburgh offered me a place they offered entry into the 2nd year if I got AAA and didn't mention about F. Maths. (Mind you, I do do it, so maybe they only make that offer to F.M. students)
Reply 17
After sepaking to a few admissions tutors, second year entry is pretty tough. You miss out the fun of starting uni life in the same boat as everyone else, you are already expected to know everything that was covered in the first year and you should have adapted to the learning style.
All in all, not the sort of thing i'd like to be thrown into, but each to their own.

OP: If you want more specifics about the uni's, post in their specific sub-forums. Better still, go have a look around.
Reply 18

I hated Bristol.

Thats hardly a comment about the course though is it?

Tbh the main things I would consider is the difference in the size of the cities between Bristol/Edinburgh and Bath and the whole extra year thing if you went to Edinburgh. Also bear in mind if you have wider interests the scope for open units and things is better at Edinburgh with it being a Scottish Uni.

Personally I'm at Bristol and love it, have been to Bath several times and hated it. But then I don't like campus unis so I was going to...
Reply 19
i went to the open day at bristol on 28th june, and looked at the maths dept there, although it was packed, it was an excellent day, with lots of practical maths lectures as opposed to 'you need this... and (insert uni here) is a great place to study blah blah blah'.

i was also highly impressed by the amount of research that they were doing, and they also have a new maths building nearly finished, although quite a few unis are planning new buildings.

howver biased i am cos i have not yet been to bath, or edinburgh, i don't think anyone could possibly say that bristol is bad for maths, although you should probably like the place that you are studying in...:smile:

Latest