The Student Room Group

Is menstruating really as bad as women claim it to be?

All you hear is "Omg it feels like I'm dying!!" or "Don't blame me for being a mean *****, blame my period!!" (for example).

You bleed for 4 days, a week tops, every month... plenty of products to deal with it, and even "enjoy" it.

Why can'y you quit complaining and accept that it's part of being a woman?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Attachment not found
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
All you hear is "Omg it feels like I'm dying!!" or "Don't blame me for being a mean *****, blame my period!!" (for example).

You bleed for 4 days, a week tops, every month... plenty of products to deal with it, and even "enjoy" it.

women can bleed for longer and if you have the coil, you can bleed for months...literally!
I bled for 2+ weeks last month so your argument is invalid

(edited 7 years ago)
YES.

There's a major hormonal imbalance that comes with it, which ****s up our emotions etc.
Plus, (or a minus) the cramps we get are essentially our pelvises re-aligning to prepare to give birth to a fetus that isn't there - not to mention that our uterus is basically ripping itself apart.
It really does hurt quite a lot,just how much depends on each individual woman plus crazy mood swings*
Reply 6
I once bled for 5 weeks straight...

It's not nice having a back so sore that it's hard to walk every month for a minimum of 7 days. Or stomach cramps.
(edited 7 years ago)
Tbh i do think that women do make a bit of a fuss over it but i try not to judge because different ppl experience different things.
Mine hurt a lot for about a day but i just try to get on with it without complaint.
The only time i would take painkillers is if im away or on DofE or a field trip or something and cba or it's too painful :smile:
My periods used to give me migraine. As a teenager, I used to vomit. And then there was the kidney pain. They've now put me on the pill. I'm lucky if I can go a week without a period, which can last up to ten days.
Reply 9

all women on earth will now stop complaining because anon asked us to
Original post by Tiger Rag
My periods used to give me migraine. As a teenager, I used to vomit. And then there was the kidney pain. They've now put me on the pill. I'm lucky if I can go a week without a period, which can last up to ten days.

I've know people who have fainted due to severe cramps during periods, and others who have been fine - personally bc of reasons I will not disclose, mine aren't that bad. But my friends are messes during theirs.
Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
I've know people who have fainted due to severe cramps during periods, and others who have been fine - personally bc of reasons I will not disclose, mine aren't that bad. But my friends are messes during theirs.

Exactly. I've had some where I couldn't even move.

Personally, I think a lot of women do over exaggerate. But, I have some friends who do genuinely seem to suffer a lot. I guess it depends on the girl.
Yeah I mean whats so bad apart the internal shredding of your body.....
Please.
Reply 14
Women do seem to adapt to it. And I guess it's all part of the rich mystery of feminine fertility. And with the right sanitary protection they can play volley ball and everything. Have wondered what the evolutionary advantage is though. Far as I know other mammals don't menstruate.
Original post by Zarek
Women do seem to adapt to it. And I guess it's all part of the rich mystery of feminine fertility. And with the right sanitary protection they can play volley ball and everything. Have wondered what the evolutionary advantage is though. Far as I know other mammals don't menstruate.

dogs do
Original post by Zarek

Mammals do have moments when they menstrate - although it's usually classed as being 'on heat' - like cats and dogs etc.

And as for the reason behind it in human women, it's to expel the unfertalised egg, and shedding the uterus lining that had prepared for a pregnancy.
As others have said, some women can experience extreme pain or too much blood loss so have to take medication just to get through it or have to stop them completely.
also, my friend is severely anemic and needs blood tests after each period to make sure she hasnt lost too much blood
A lot of women also have disorders such as polycystic ovarian syndrome, or endometriosis- which can cause a world of pain and other horrendous issues. These can affect your every day life in a big way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending