The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Eligibility & Start of residence after the 1st day of the academic year

As per Eligibility Clause:
"You may also be eligible if you’re an EU national and both the following apply:

you’re living in England on the first day of the first academic year of your course

you’ve normally lived in the European Economic Area or Switzerland for the past 3 years (this is also known as being ‘ordinarily resident’)"

I would like to ask, if I am an EU national and live in the European Economic Area, but my contract for residence starts on the 18th of September 2016 while the first day of my academic year is September 1st, 2016, am I still eligible for this loan?

Thank you
Original post by MARIANNA RO
"You may also be eligible if you’re an EU national and both the following apply:

you’re living in England on the first day of the first academic year of your course

you’ve normally lived in the European Economic Area or Switzerland for the past 3 years (this is also known as being ‘ordinarily resident’)"

I would like to ask, if I am an EU national and live in the European Economic Area, but my contract for residence starts on the 18th of September 2016 while the first day of my academic year is September 1st, 2016, am I still eligible for this loan?

Thank you

Hi Marianna. Good question. Can I ask where you found the information on the Eligibility clause? I'll do a little research. Is your concern around the EU referendum?

Thanks,
Laura
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Original post by MARIANNA RO

Thank you

I'm guessing this is for some sort of maintenance grant/loan/bursary, isnt it?

The first day of the first academic year of your course is the 1st of September. You will need to be living in England on that day and be able to prove that you were living in England on that day (tenancy agreement, payslips, bank statements showing that you were already living in the country on that day), so you will not be eligible if you only come to the UK when your tenancy agreement starts on the 18th.

A lot of people get rejected for maintetance loans / grants on the grounds of this rule, even if they are working throughout their studies and would otherwise be eligible to get the loan. It's basically just a way to reduce the amount of EU students they have to give out money to.

But of course you will still get the tuition fee loan :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending