The Student Room Group

ChemistryNerd13| My GCSE Journey

This is a thread that I hope will assist many others with revision and help find new revision sources
Introduction:☺️☺️

Hello everybody,
Just a little bit about me. I'm a year 12 student (Or year 11 student in England) and will be sitting the Final Of my GCSE Exams in June 2017. I attend a school in Northern Ireland and I sat 7 of my GCSE Exams at the end of last year and got those exam results in August. I enjoy Science and like to go beyond what I learn in class to fill in gaps in my knowledge. I do get myself very anxious around exams and am quite pessimistic after every exam. I get really dizzy and feel sick when I'm in the middle of a crowd of people so have to sit at the back of the exam hall to prevent me for being sick. I am aiming to overcome this now in year 12(year 11 in England) as it is a terrible distraction.

GCSE Targets:☺️☺️

I take the following subjects at GCSE Level:

Mathematics. A*
English Language. A*
Religious Studies (Short Course). B
Geography A*
Further Mathematics. A*
Double Award Science. A*A*
Business Studies. A*
ICT B
(In bold are the target grades that I have set for myself)

Reason for starting this thread:☺️☺️

So I am aiming for 7 A*s and 2 B's overall. I always aim high and have already achieved Full UMS In physics and chemistry Unit 1. I was hoping that in order to track my progress and daily revision, I could set up this discussion for myself And other people to help each other with things we do and don't understand. It could help achieve better grades and understand concepts that we didn't understand before.

I hope to post my progress with revision as much as I can and then post the outcome of my results and compare them to the original target.

I've seen other people do this and thought I would give it a go!
All of my Exams are with CCEA (The Northern Ireland Exam Board)

Aims for the future☺️☺️

I intend to do two sciences at AS. I'm not sure what I would like to do as a third and fourth subject. However, in the future I would like to be a science teacher and need good grades in the sciences especially. My school also allowed us to get work experience at the end of last year where I did teaching so I'm going to try and get even more experience in that area.

Problematic Subjects
There are two subjects that I sort of struggle at. They are ICT and Religious Studies. Religious studies seems interesting but the exams are hard to revise for. I am not good at essay subjects and need practise in structuring my responses. This is an area where I need to work on if I am to pass (never mind attain a B. However, in my mock in Juune I got an A which I was delighted with. Although when we did it, we were allowed to leave early as we all finished in 45 minutes!πŸ˜‚. Another area that I need help with is ICT. The coursework is very difficult and my teacher left in June for maternity leave. Theory is really hard and the exam is two hours but with dedication, revision and effort, I hope to achieve this goal of a B!

Exams in Year 12(Yr 11 in England)😊😊
November
- Biology Resit

January
- Internal Mock Exams
- External Maths Exam

May/June
- All of my Actual GCSE exams. 1 exam for each subject (each individual science as well). Thankfully I only have 10 exams due to modules so then I'm done.

Reports and Results

June 2016- SCHOOL REPORT
ICT A*
R.E. A
(ICT is theory mock paper. Only got 2 results due to other subjects doing modules)
August 2016- MODULE RESULTS
Maths- B (Full UMS)
English- A*
Geography- A*
Further Maths- A*
Biology-A
Business Studies- A*
ICT- A

Thank you for reading this and I hope you will enjoy posting and participating in this thread.

I am not the only one doing a GCSE Journey. Check out _gcx's GCSE journey here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4222748

Feel free to ask me anything!!!!!!☺️
:idea::idea::idea::idea:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What exam board are you doing for the sciences and what revision guide do you use? Also what are you using to revise for Mathematics?
For Sciences, I'm with CCEA and I use the hodderplus textbooks. They were wrote by chief examiners so I find them very useful for exam tips etc. I revise maths primarily by doing past papers. However, I make notes on blank paper by copying one example of each type of questions to refer to when doing past papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Day 1

Today I revised Biology and revised 'Human Activity and its impact on the environment'. So I was revising Lichen and bloodworms and eutrophication along with global warming and Sulphur Dioxide levels. I'm revising Biology again because the exam in May was awful and I know I don't think I got an A* (Unless grade boundaries are low) so I'm making flash cards to prepare myself in case I have to do a resit. Going to make mind maps on possible questions that could come up.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by chemistrynerd13
Hello everybody,
Just a little bit about me. I'm a year 11 student (Or year 10 student in England) and will be sitting the Final Of my GCSE Exams in June 2017. I sat 7 of my GCSE Exams at the end of last year and will be getting those exam results in August. I take the following subjects at GCSE Level:

Mathematics. A*
English Language. A
Religious Studies (Short Course). A
Geography A*
Further Mathematics. A*
Double Award Science. A*A*
Business Studies. A*
ICT A*
(In bold are the target grades that I have set for myself)
So I am aiming for 7 A*s and 2 A's overall. I always aim high and have already achieved Full UMS In physics and chemistry Unit 1. I was hoping that in order to track my progress and daily revision, I could set up this discussion for myself And other people to help each other with things we do and don't understand. It could help achieve better grades and understand concepts that we didn't understand before.

I hope to post my progress with revision as much as I can and then post the outcome of my results and compare them to the original target.

I've seen other people do this and thought I would give it a go!
All of my Exams are with CCEA (The Northern Ireland Exam Board)

I started going over some content for next year at the beginning of summer. Feel free to ask me about Exams or revision..

Hi! I'm also in Year 10 (England). What are your revision plans for the summer?
(edited 7 years ago)
So I'm hoping to make flash cards for Biology resit (in case I get an A). I'm hoping to revise some maths for next year such as histograms and more applied trigonometry. Then Revise for next year Science:
- Circulatory System
- Variation
- Solar System and Planets
- Physics Equations
- Energetics
So as much as I can get done lol. But I'm still going to relax and enjoy summer because I'll miss it a lot when I'm back to school!
Reply 6
What!? You're going to resit biology even if you get an A??? :redface:
Original post by Fnt1klo
What!? You're going to resit biology even if you get an A??? :redface:

Yeah!πŸ˜‚You see I was predicted 100% as that's what I got in the mock. I am hoping to get full UMS overall and therefore need to get Full UMS as well as an A* in Biology. I know I sound crazy but I wouldn't be happy unless I gave it another go!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Yeah!πŸ˜‚You see I was predicted 100% as that's what I got in the mock. I am hoping to get full UMS overall and therefore need to get Full UMS as well as an A* in Biology. I know I sound crazy but I wouldn't be happy unless I gave it another go!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Best of luck.Hope you get that A* :smile:
Original post by Fnt1klo
Best of luck.Hope you get that A* :smile:

Thank you very much. I hope you do well too!!☺️. I will be posting updates on revision so feel free to ask me anything else!πŸ˜„

Posted from TSR Mobile
Day 2

Today i revise more Biology. I prepared some practice exam questions and did mind maps for possible six mark questions. I then went through my specification for Biology again and made sure I had revised every point written for the topic. Tomorrow, I intend to revise photosynthesis, Enzymes and Nutrition.
(edited 7 years ago)
Day 2

Today i revise more Biology. I prepared some practice exam questions and did mind maps for possible six mark questions. I then went through my specification for Biology again and made sure I had revised every point written for the topic. Tomorrow, I intend to revise photosynthesis, Enzymes and Nutrition.

Will you not forget this revision by the time school comes? And has your holidays begun yet..?
Original post by Daydreamer3
Will you not forget this revision by the time school comes? And has your holidays begun yet..?

I'm just making the flash cards. I do my revision so that I make notes or flashcards etc. Then when I go back to school (or study leave) I look over them and do past papers and go over practise booklets and questions. I then ensure that I have memorised all information and understand everything. I do stuff early so that I'm not wasting time trying to make notes! My holidays have begun! Yay!! But no I haven't started intense revision yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Day 3

Today I managed to make notes on photosynthesis and plants. I intended to do enzymes and nutrition but I went to the gym and out for coffee instead.πŸ˜‚. I intend to do 2 topics tomorrow (if not 3) due to having lots of spare time. Then I'll only have one biology topic to do!! Yay! I'm going to make mind maps on photosynthesis tomorrow morning (early).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Day 4

Today, I decided to revise differently than normal. I read through my revision guide and annotated notes around it. I highlighted the exam tips and then highlighted all key info. This was on the following topics:

- nutrition and health
- enzymes and digestion

Just ready to make flashcards. Anyone else dreading results day?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Day 4

Today, I decided to revise differently than normal. I read through my revision guide and annotated notes around it. I highlighted the exam tips and then highlighted all key info. This was on the following topics:

- nutrition and health
- enzymes and digestion

Just ready to make flashcards. Anyone else dreading results day?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why are you dreading results day? Thought you was in year 10..?
Original post by Daydreamer3
Why are you dreading results day? Thought you was in year 10..?

Yes I am in Year 10 (in England) which is year 11 in Northern Ireland here. But CCEA allow us to do modules so I did 7 GCSEs at the end of 4th year and am getting results on the actual results day (In August). I am dreading results day despite not getting all results.
Day 5 and 6

Sorry I haven't updated in a while. I've been very busy. As a summary, I was revising maths. In particular I was revising algebraic fractions and equations. Then I practised a few questions. I then read about waves in physics using the revision books I have- I wanted to familiarise myself with the topic. I intend to do chemistry and physics work in the upcoming days☺️
Is everybody having a great summer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Day 7

I tried a few more maths problems and marked them. Happy with progress. Going to finish maths questions tomorrow and then move on to chemistry and physics before going back to biology flashcards.

How do other people revise for science?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Day 8.

Revised how to do simultaneous equations with one linear and one quadratic. Then I tried more practise questions including an example that was put into a real life context!☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest