The Student Room Group

ChemistryNerd13| My GCSE Journey

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by chemistrynerd13
Day 7

I tried a few more maths problems and marked them. Happy with progress. Going to finish maths questions tomorrow and then move on to chemistry and physics before going back to biology flashcards.

How do other people revise for science?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is how I revise science:Memorise the revision guide and practise the past papers,if not atleast look at that so you get atleast a basic idea and get familiar with the papers.
Original post by Fnt1klo
This is how I revise science:Memorise the revision guide and practise the past papers,if not atleast look at that so you get atleast a basic idea and get familiar with the papers.

Yeah. If I get an A and decide to repeat Biology in November, it'll feel weird because I have done all of the past papers and made all of the notes and all I need to do is make flash cards. What grade are you looking to get in Science (or the individual sciences). My actual paper will just be another past paper!
Reply 22
Yeah. If I get an A and decide to repeat Biology in November, it'll feel weird because I have done all of the past papers and made all of the notes and all I need to do is make flash cards. What grade are you looking to get in Science (or the individual sciences). My actual paper will just be another past paper!

I'm hoping for A in core science and an A*(or 8 in new grading stucture) in Additional science.
Original post by Fnt1klo
I'm hoping for A in core science and an A*(or 8 in new grading stucture) in Additional science.

Wow. I'm sure you'll do really well. I know that over in England, the new specifications have already started. How are you finding them.?I'm like one of the last years in Northern Ireland to do the old GCSE specs. However, I will be the second to do the new spec at a level. I hope you get that A* in additional science.. It's just the motivation that is hardest to get!
Today I didn't get much revision done as I was very busy doing other things. However, I will be updating you on what I do tomorrow.☺️☺️☺️☺️
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 25
Wow. I'm sure you'll do really well. I know that over in England, the new specifications have already started. How are you finding them.?I'm like one of the last years in Northern Ireland to do the old GCSE specs. However, I will be the second to do the new spec at a level. I hope you get that A* in additional science.. It's just the motivation that is hardest to get!

Thank you! I am going to take all my sciences to A levels so first I need to prove myself that I am capable of that because they are extremely hard.I can prove myself by getting A* in additional science.In core I will be in borderline of an A* but I think am going to miss that but I will not regret if I get an A on 25 August.hopefully I can get A* next year as the grade boundries are low for Add science as well.The subjects I am doing which has new spec are maths and English.I am pretty much comfortable with maths and English language it's just that I will have to work hard to achieve that A* in maths as in old spec it was pretty much a free A*.And in both I am hoping for A*(or 8).I am currently struggling in English literature but I hope to improve.In all other subjects I am doing the old spec.
Original post by Fnt1klo
Thank you! I am going to take all my sciences to A levels so first I need to prove myself that I am capable of that because they are extremely hard.I can prove myself by getting A* in additional science.In core I will be in borderline of an A* but I think am going to miss that but I will not regret if I get an A on 25 August.hopefully I can get A* next year as the grade boundries are low for Add science as well.The subjects I am doing which has new spec are maths and English.I am pretty much comfortable with maths and English language it's just that I will have to work hard to achieve that A* in maths as in old spec it was pretty much a free A*.And in both I am hoping for A*(or 8).I am currently struggling in English literature but I hope to improve.In all other subjects I am doing the old spec.

Yeah. I'm also taking the sciences to a level.. I don't like English or anything like that (ie- R.E or other essay subjects with lots of writing). That's exactly what I'm like for Biology.. If I don't get the A* I will be close. But I think that I only learn when I'm enjoying the subject. We had the option to choose literature but I chose Further Maths instead because English lit is time consuming and I wouldn't be motivated to learn about it. I'm posting a results day video btw so these had better not be Cs and Ds on that page in August.lol.
Reply 27
Yeah. I'm also taking the sciences to a level.. I don't like English or anything like that (ie- R.E or other essay subjects with lots of writing). That's exactly what I'm like for Biology.. If I don't get the A* I will be close. But I think that I only learn when I'm enjoying the subject. We had the option to choose literature but I chose Further Maths instead because English lit is time consuming and I wouldn't be motivated to learn about it. I'm posting a results day video btw so these had better not be Cs and Ds on that page in August.lol.

You are same as me! I HATE essay subjects.I regret so much doing history as one of my option and English literature (in our school it's comulsory eng lit).History is stressful there are questions like 16 marks , 20 marks and write essays.:angry:
Reply 28
Day 5 and 6

Sorry I haven't updated in a while. I've been very busy. As a summary, I was revising maths. In particular I was revising algebraic fractions and equations. Then I practised a few questions. I then read about waves in physics using the revision books I have- I wanted to familiarise myself with the topic. I intend to do chemistry and physics work in the upcoming days☺️
Is everybody having a great summer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey are you doing the new GCSE edxcela maths 9-1?
Original post by Fnt1klo
You are same as me! I HATE essay subjects.I regret so much doing history as one of my option and English literature (in our school it's comulsory eng lit).History is stressful there are questions like 16 marks , 20 marks and write essays.:angry:

Awww I feel so sorry for you that English literature is compulsory. My friends who do history say that it is so hard to memorise the content and some do art on top of that so they have NO extra time. The only subjects I do that are proper essays are English (here's a link to a paper) http://www.rewardinglearning.org.uk/common/includes/microsite_doc_link.aspx?docid=15586-1

And then R.E. Here's a paper: http://www.rewardinglearning.org.uk/common/includes/microsite_doc_link.aspx?docid=15654-1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tayybaf
hey are you doing the new GCSE edxcela maths 9-1?

No I'm doing the CCEA specification (Northern Ireland) but I actually use the edexcel past papers and specimen papers to revise!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Day 10

Today I read through a chapter on rate of reaction in my chemistry textbook. I really like that topic and am going to do more exemplar questions and revise it more tomorrow as it is not too hard to understand!☺️☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Day 11
Today I revised chemistry. I revised by printing out some questions and then writing my answers on the pages. Then I marked them and got 40/42 which I'm happy with. The topics that were on the worksheet were:
1. Rusting
2. Reactivity Series
3. Test for gases
4. Rate of reaction
What does everybody else of chemistry?☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Day 12

Today, I really didn't get much done. I was very busy and I knew I wasn't ready to revise. However, read a chapter on conductors to compensate and it was actually interesting, mostly because we covered ionisation last year👍🏻👍🏻Tomorrow I will attempt to learn the solar system and do some practise questions☺️☺️
(edited 7 years ago)
Day 13

Today I was revising Physics. Just found a new favourite topic: The solar system🚀. It is so interesting.🤔 However, do any of you all know a good revision source for learning about 'Red Shift' and How the universe is expanding? I find it quite hard to grasp and need to ensure that I'm interpreting it correctly.

To test my knowledge, I printed out some past paper questions and then tried some solar system questions. I'm happy with progress.. How is everybody else's summer going?😊
(edited 7 years ago)
Day 14.

I know there's not too many people reading this 😰 but I'll still update this thread in case anybody is interested😐

I have decided today to sit and plan out what I'm going to do this summer. I am now intending to:

1. Finish my Biology Flashcards☺️

2. Organise RE and ICT notes as these subjects continue on from last year

3. Learn about
- Rate of reaction
- Solar System
- Natural Selection

Actually today I was very surprised to find that my Business studies paper was published online and I was able to check it out. I am hoping for an A* but will be equally happy with an A as I hope to do better in coursework and unit 2 exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Day 15

Progress has been hard recently. Don't worry I really can explain: I'm on holiday. Although I return on Monday. I brought some flashcards but have used them already so all I can do is read textbooks and answer questions😂. I promise that I will be making MUCH MORE progress after Monday. On another note, I managed to learn about rate of reactions in the textbook. I really like the look of unit 2 chemistry at the moment☺️☺️. More application of knowledge in this unit!! I will be doing further notes on this tomorrow.

This many seem weird but does anybody else feel that their handwriting gets worse over summer? With revision I'm doing,I have managed to prevent this BUT need to keep it up if my writing is to stay legible.😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Day 15

Progress has been hard recently. Don't worry I really can explain: I'm on holiday. Although I return on Monday. I brought some flashcards but have used them already so all I can do is read textbooks and answer questions😂. I promise that I will be making MUCH MORE progress after Monday. On another note, I managed to learn about rate of reactions in the textbook. I really like the look of unit 2 chemistry at the moment☺️☺️. More application of knowledge in this unit!! I will be doing further notes on this tomorrow.

This many seem weird but does anybody else feel that their handwriting gets worse over summer? With revision I'm doing,I have managed to prevent this BUT need to keep it up if my writing is to stay legible.😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

My handwriting is always ineligible :biggrin: I get to use a laptop in exams and lessons because of it at least. (it's due to a medical condition - dyspraxia)
Day 4

Today, I decided to revise differently than normal. I read through my revision guide and annotated notes around it. I highlighted the exam tips and then highlighted all key info. This was on the following topics:

- nutrition and health
- enzymes and digestion

Just ready to make flashcards. Anyone else dreading results day?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am, because the state of the 9-1 system leaves me uncertain what the grade boundaries are going to be. I keep on going into a cold sweat because I think: what if I **** up completely and end up with all Ds and Es, when I'm aiming for A*s. I should stop thinking that way, because I know I'll do well, doubt is just plaguing my mind. :frown:

Day 7

I tried a few more maths problems and marked them. Happy with progress. Going to finish maths questions tomorrow and then move on to chemistry and physics before going back to biology flashcards.

How do other people revise for science?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Notes and past papers. I've tried flash cards, they don't work for me at all.

How is everybody else's summer going?

Good, but I'm getting obsessive. I've already started some AS Maths stuff o.o Games are keeping me sane, at least :biggrin:
Original post by _gcx
My handwriting is always ineligible :biggrin: I get to use a laptop in exams and lessons because of it at least. (it's due to a medical condition - dyspraxia)

That must be hard having such a condition. I had read about that in your blog☺️. That's great that your school allows you to use a laptop. So would the question paper appear on the computer screen or do you just type answers in Microsoft word?(if that makes any sense!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest