The Student Room Group

Which subject to drop after AS?

Hi I just finished my AS levels this year and dos Maths (stats), chemistry, physics and biology. I for university I want to do some kind of engineering (chemistry or civil are my top choices).
From my exams, I did really bad in physics (didn't finish either paper and felt I didn't have enough time) but i think I didn't do that bad in my other choices. But while revising I hated biology, simply because there was too much theory. And both my physics and biology teachers aren't that good (but this is not a major reason). So I am unsure about which of the physics or biology to drop. They are both not needed for chemical engineering and for civil engineering (except for Warwick, which is the only uni nearby that wants physics). I liked physics throughout the year but from the exam I think that I would barely get a D, my biology exam went ok (at least I finished both papers). So could anyone give out their suggestion?
Original post by asinghj
Hi I just finished my AS levels this year and dos Maths (stats), chemistry, physics and biology. I for university I want to do some kind of engineering (chemistry or civil are my top choices).
From my exams, I did really bad in physics (didn't finish either paper and felt I didn't have enough time) but i think I didn't do that bad in my other choices. But while revising I hated biology, simply because there was too much theory. And both my physics and biology teachers aren't that good (but this is not a major reason). So I am unsure about which of the physics or biology to drop. They are both not needed for chemical engineering and for civil engineering (except for Warwick, which is the only uni nearby that wants physics). I liked physics throughout the year but from the exam I think that I would barely get a D, my biology exam went ok (at least I finished both papers). So could anyone give out their suggestion?

Do you have to chose before you get your results? I would wait and see which AS you did better in and then chose that one. You might surprise yourself with you Physics mark!
I think Physics would be quite important for an engineering degree and therefore from you choices id drop bio as it gets a lot harder next year apparently so if your not interested this year then it might make next year pretty painful.
Reply 3
Original post by Fox Corner
Do you have to chose before you get your results? I would wait and see which AS you did better in and then chose that one. You might surprise yourself with you Physics mark!

Hey thx for reply, we have to confirm our choices on 30th of August. If I get a C then yeah I'd be really surprised
Reply 4
Original post by HopelessMedic
I think Physics would be quite important for an engineering degree and therefore from you choices id drop bio as it gets a lot harder next year apparently so if your not interested this year then it might make next year pretty painful.

Yeah that's true but, for example university of Birmingham, doesn't need physics for chemical or civil engineering. I look at the A2 spec for biology and a lot of it seems tough, on the other hand, physics is also tough, especially when it comes to AQA exams 😭😭😵

Quick Reply

Latest