The Student Room Group

Going to a restaurant by yourself as a teen?

Hey all.
Sometimes I really want to go to a restaurant for a meal but I have no one to go with.
I'm too scared to go on my own because everyone will judge me because teens are supposed to have loads of friends (but I have none, except for my TSR friends!).
Would it be acceptable for an 18 yr old male to sit alone and enjoy a meal?
Would it be possible to do that without being judged?
Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

this is the problem with the modern teenager, they are spineless and constantly seeking validation from others. be your own person and take the rough with the smooth, your successes are yours and so are your failures. responsibility.
Reply 2
Yes, stop caring about how other people are gonna view you, if you wanna do it then do it.

I've been to restaurants 2/3 times by myself when I was 18-19 YO 'cause I wanted to go so I just did.
Nah, it's only weird if you make it weird. Just go, eat, have a nice time, leave. Everyone else there will be focussed on their own food and their own company if they have it.
Even if it wasn't seen as acceptable and you would be judged, so what? What exactly is going to happen?
No one will judge you, all you're doing is eating food :smile:
Reply 6
The more downmarket and the earlier in the day it is, the less anyone will care
Reply 7
Nah its not weird at all. How many times do you go into a restaurant or fast food place and judge someone for eating alone? Never. In fact, you probably wouldn't even notice. I used to enjoy going to a cafe alone before my panics got bad. You've got nothing to worry about :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FireFreezer77
Hey all.
Sometimes I really want to go to a restaurant for a meal but I have no one to go with.
I'm too scared to go on my own because everyone will judge me because teens are supposed to have loads of friends (but I have none, except for my TSR friends!).
Thanks!

I used to and admittedly I would choose a corner table and just spend £100 and leave some decent tips for the staff- some at the bar some for the waitress and some for the kitchen
Take your mum with you, why not treat her to something too if you feel uncomfortable alone?
Original post by neal95
this is the problem with the modern teenager, they are spineless and constantly seeking validation from others. be your own person and take the rough with the smooth, your successes are yours and so are your failures. responsibility.

Well ive been judged my whole life and it would be nice not to for once!
Thats all.
Original post by Inexorably
Yes, stop caring about how other people are gonna view you, if you wanna do it then do it.

I've been to restaurants 2/3 times by myself when I was 18-19 YO 'cause I wanted to go so I just did.

Ok well its easier said than done but im improving at it!

Nice one! I assume they all went well then and it was enjoyable?
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Nah, it's only weird if you make it weird. Just go, eat, have a nice time, leave. Everyone else there will be focussed on their own food and their own company if they have it.

Hmm i suppose so!
Yeah ill do that. Well i hope so anyway! But the people here usually pay more attention to what others are doing, thats my main concern.
But ill give it a go at somepoint!
Original post by Wilfred Little
Even if it wasn't seen as acceptable and you would be judged, so what? What exactly is going to happen?

Well if some young guys came in (or girls) theyd take the piss out of me and probably steal my food. So thats a problem tbh.
Hey all.
Thanks!

I'm 18 and I've been thinking of doing this recently. I don't think anyone would judge you. Hey, we can be friends! Bring along TSR on your phone and I'll be right there with ya :wink:
Original post by george_c00per
No one will judge you, all you're doing is eating food :smile:

True but people get commented on if theyre alone here so yeah
The people here are not the nicest in the world.
Original post by difeo
The more downmarket and the earlier in the day it is, the less anyone will care

Snd the less people there will be!
I pefer the more upmarket places tbh but yeah i will be going earlier rather than later!
Hmm i suppose so!
Yeah ill do that. Well i hope so anyway! But the people here usually pay more attention to what others are doing, thats my main concern.
But ill give it a go at somepoint!

I know what you mean. People here are quite nosey. Because I live in such a small town, a lot of people know each other. I don't know how, but a lot of the school kids know me too. I felt like people might look at me weird and wonder, but I go to Costa alone a lot now. It's nice to chill on my own with a drink and some lunch for a bit, and no one seems to really care. It's just a bit weird when I bump into people I know because then they think I'm lonely and want me to hang out with them, and I don't always want to.
I've personally never been to a resturant by myself before but there's certainly nothing wrong with it. Everyone in the restaurant will probably be focused on themselves. Just go on your phone while you're eating so it looks like you're busy or something
Original post by Spock's Socks
Nah its not weird at all. How many times do you go into a restaurant or fast food place and judge someone for eating alone? Never. In fact, you probably wouldn't even notice. I used to enjoy going to a cafe alone before my panics got bad. You've got nothing to worry about :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm never but ive never really seen it before tbh. But i personally wouldnt do anything. I dont see the problem tbh!
Aww well if only i was like you though! But ill give it a go soonz,
I hope so!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending