The Student Room Group

Sociology/psychology

I am torn between these two subjects at A level. I heard psychology is more sciencey? If thats a word. I am not so good at science but i thought psychology was to do with mental health and how the human brain works when in situations. If anybody has completed their first year or second of either subject could you tell me the ins and outs of what to expect,
Thank you :smile:
Original post by Luthb
I am torn between these two subjects at A level. I heard psychology is more sciencey? If thats a word. I am not so good at science but i thought psychology was to do with mental health and how the human brain works when in situations. If anybody has completed their first year or second of either subject could you tell me the ins and outs of what to expect,
Thank you :smile:

Psychology doesn't contain that much difficult science at A-Level stage - however when you get to degree level it gets more scientific and definitely more maths-based with the introduction of statistics.
Reply 2
Psychology alevel is basically a memory test - or at least the old spec was -you're never really required to show much understanding and even if the theories seem complicated as long as you can remember them then you'll do well. People I know who did both sociology and psychology found psychology harder so if you're picking between the two then I'd go with sociology but bare in mind psychology is seen as less ' soft ' but it depends what you're planning to do at uni :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest